Thinking about another LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Nov 1st, 2008, 11:24 pm Thread Starter

Thinking about another LT

I currently have a 03 K1200LT with about 69K miles. I bought it in 05 and haven't looked back.
The bike works great. I keep it serviced at the dealer at least once a year to make sure everything is kept in order other than the oil change I complete between dealer services. I am wondering if I am getting to the mileage where I need to think about trading her in for a newer model. I have seen some 05-07 models that are the right color/price. I would like to ditch the 6 disc changer and get the satellite radio/MP3 connection but other than that I don't see a huge reason to change other than mechanical. It is hard to consider saying good bye to such a great bike even if it is to say hello to another.
Any thoughts on when to say when?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Nov 1st, 2008, 11:58 pm

Re: Thinking about another LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpistulka
I currently have a 03 K1200LT with about 69K miles. I bought it in 05 and haven't looked back.
The bike works great. I keep it serviced at the dealer at least once a year to make sure everything is kept in order other than the oil change I complete between dealer services. I am wondering if I am getting to the mileage where I need to think about trading her in for a newer model. I have seen some 05-07 models that are the right color/price. I would like to ditch the 6 disc changer and get the satellite radio/MP3 connection but other than that I don't see a huge reason to change other than mechanical. It is hard to consider saying good bye to such a great bike even if it is to say hello to another.
Any thoughts on when to say when?
Keep what ya got and add a XM radio!

2003 Black
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
K1200LTC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Fender Mount Driving Lights
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

post #3 of 6 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 1:11 am
IBR# 366

Garage

All depends on your budget, and your attachment to that particular bike. We have many examples of LTs going well over 100K miles without any major problems. We also have seen many bikes with 10-20K miles have problems with final drives, clutches, ABS units, leaky seals, etc.

The major differences between an '03 and an '05 and newer are honestly pretty small, but can be a big step up for some folks. A bit more horsepower, hydraulic center stand, separate high/low beam lights, slightly different styling on the fairing and fender, different color choices.

If any of those things are important to you and you can justify the cost differential, then go for it. Otherwise, just keep on riding your '03. And maybe spend a few of the $$ that you saved on another farkle or two for it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 6 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 3:51 am

+1 on what Hollywood said. These bikes are made to go over 100K and you know what u got now.

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
post #5 of 6 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 9:40 am

Wink Re: Thinking about another LT

I'm in the same boat; have an '03 LTE with 57,000 miles and it has been flawless since the day I purchased it. It still drives the way it did the day I purchased it, so I don't have a real compelling reason to trade up. I'm kind of waiting to see what BMW does with a new LT or RT next generation. I think until then I don't have enough pushing me to change. The old girl is running fine and looking good.

Joe Buttress
Plain Washington
2003 LTE
IBA SS
post #6 of 6 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 9:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetomotor
I'm in the same boat; have an '03 LTE with 57,000 miles and it has been flawless since the day I purchased it. It still drives the way it did the day I purchased it, so I don't have a real compelling reason to trade up. I'm kind of waiting to see what BMW does with a new LT or RT next generation. I think until then I don't have enough pushing me to change. The old girl is running fine and looking good.

+1. I'm in exactly the same position as lovetomotor. I'll wait for the next gen. to decide.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in