battery issues - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 7:37 pm Thread Starter

battery issues

Hi all.. seems the gel battery finally died on me.. I went out and bought the odyssey pc680 to put in my 05 LT .. well after finally getting it in (another story) .. the bike fired up and i went to a ride.. weird things are going on.. like I cant get the radio on, and the center stand will not engage.. it just blinks fast like I dont have the bike level (but I do) ..

Do i need to reset anything after installing a new battery ?? There doesnt seem to be any warning light whatsoever..

thanks

-Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 8:19 am

I just put in a PC680 a couple of weeks ago. Other than bending the end of one cable it was a routine job. It has acted fine since.

Did you connect the battery cables in the correct order when you hooked it up? Did you by chance touch the positive cables to metal when you worked on it? Did you check the voltage before installing it? If I remember right it said to charge it first if voltage is less than 12.65 before using the battery.

The only suggestion I can come up with is to disconnect the battery for a few minutes and see if they will reset. People have had some luck with their radios doing that. I haven't heard of anyone trying that with the centerstand.

Other than that you may have to take it to the dealer. If you do that I would try to avoid saying that you just put in the battery.
post #3 of 8 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 2:44 pm

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by brado32
Hi all.. seems the gel battery finally died on me.. I went out and bought the odyssey pc680 to put in my 05 LT ..

-Brad
How old was your battery?

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't Panic!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 7:25 pm

Are you sure the battery is charged to 100%? Although...I would think if the bike is running, the alternator would kick in. Not so on typically bikes...but these LTs have a massive charging system in comparison. A good charge never hurts though.

The only thing that you are supposed to reset is your throttle. After reinstalling a new battery, you should turn the igniton ON w/o starting the bike. Open throttle all the way . . . close . . . open all the way, then close. Turn ignition OFF and you're all set.
post #5 of 8 Old Jan 12th, 2006, 4:03 pm Thread Starter

weird.. well i disconnected the battery and charged it all day yesterday (althou I dont think it needed it) .. My battery charger said it was fully charged when I hooked it up.. Connected it back up this morning and started up the bike..

Its weird.. The radio button lights up, but noth of the bottons does anything.. CD, AM/FM, MEM, etc.. nothing changes the display.. I am more concerned however about the center stand not working.. while sitting on the bike with it running, i try to engage the center stand and i get the fast 4hz blinknig light and no stand..

maybe a blew a fuse somewhere..

I will search here, but is there listing of the fuses for an 05 LT anywhere on here??

thanks

-Brad
post #6 of 8 Old Jan 12th, 2006, 4:28 pm

Did all cables get hooked back up? One didn't fall into the nethers?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 8 Old Jan 12th, 2006, 4:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brado32
I will search here, but is there listing of the fuses for an 05 LT anywhere on here??
Isn't it easier to just look in the manual? I would help you, but the pre-'05 models have a different fuse configuration altogether.
post #8 of 8 Old Jan 13th, 2006, 4:09 pm

You should disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected for 30 minutes or so. This will ensure that the electrical system is reset. Make sure the ignition is in the 'locked' position before disconnecting the battery. Reconnect and check if the radio and other electronics are working.

I can't imagine that it's a fuse. It's more likely that you didn't turn the ignition all the way to the locked position when replacing the battery. The electric components stay live if the key is only in the off position. The erratic voltage caused by disconnection and connecting the cables could put the electronics in a funky state.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in