Mystery Boil Over - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 10:31 pm Thread Starter

Red face Mystery Boil Over

Returning home from CCR I experienced a coolant boil over problem for the first time in 80K miles on the 02 LT. The bike ran terrific for the 2-week (3,800 mile) trip to and from CCR. But in Steamboat Springs and over Rocky Mountian NP I discover that the coolant in the overflow tank was a roaring boil and peeing out over the pin hole in the overflow tank cap? Neither the temp guage or the "hot" idiot light indicated that the bike was overheating. The next days trip from Leadville (10,200') and over Independance pass (12,095') into Aspen failed to reproduce the problem and there was no indication of boiling crossing the Mojave Desert at 107-110F coming back into Southern California? I've checked the fans and they both work fine in the driveway and out on the local roads. The coolant was new at the 72K service and had been run for about 4K miles prior to the trip. I was wondering if anyone has experience a similar issue?

Only two scenerios come to mind. One, the pressure cap is tired (its original) or, two the lower boiling point at 12,000' (approx. 188F) was too low to trigger the fan temperature switch and the fans just never came on in the heavy traffic of the park. It was hard to tell with gloves on in bumper to bumper traffic in the hairpin turns of Rocky Mountian NP.

I'd love some input. I feel stupid for not being able to nail down the problem, but I can't seem to recreate the problem now that I'm home?

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 10:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Mystery Boil Over

I would bet on the pressure cap. The coolant is in a pressurized system and really doesn't "know" what the pressure outside is!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #3 of 5 Old Nov 1st, 2008, 10:58 am

Cool Re: Mystery Boil Over

Radiator cap! Sounds very much like what Ernie A. had happen on the Alpine Loop at CCR, and that was the culprit in his situation. Easy enough to change just in case, even if it does not fix it.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Nov 1st, 2008, 2:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by old1951
Returning home from CCR I experienced a coolant boil over problem for the first time in 80K miles on the 02 LT. The bike ran terrific for the 2-week (3,800 mile) trip to and from CCR. But in Steamboat Springs and over Rocky Mountian NP I discover that the coolant in the overflow tank was a roaring boil and peeing out over the pin hole in the overflow tank cap? Neither the temp guage or the "hot" idiot light indicated that the bike was overheating. The next days trip from Leadville (10,200') and over Independance pass (12,095') into Aspen failed to reproduce the problem and there was no indication of boiling crossing the Mojave Desert at 107-110F coming back into Southern California? I've checked the fans and they both work fine in the driveway and out on the local roads. The coolant was new at the 72K service and had been run for about 4K miles prior to the trip. I was wondering if anyone has experience a similar issue?

Only two scenerios come to mind. One, the pressure cap is tired (its original) or, two the lower boiling point at 12,000' (approx. 188F) was too low to trigger the fan temperature switch and the fans just never came on in the heavy traffic of the park. It was hard to tell with gloves on in bumper to bumper traffic in the hairpin turns of Rocky Mountian NP.

I'd love some input. I feel stupid for not being able to nail down the problem, but I can't seem to recreate the problem now that I'm home?

Thoughts?
Plus 2 on the rad cap! Had the same thing on my 03!

2003 Black
K1200LTC

Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Fender Mount Driving Lights
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

post #5 of 5 Old Nov 1st, 2008, 3:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Yup.. cap releases when "specified" pressure is reached. IF the cap has some buildup, it could "open" when a pressure is reached and continue to leak pressure if it has junk under the valve.

I'd replace the cap.. look for junk floating. If you have junk floating, a flush may be in order.

If you deide it is a problem with the Thermostat you will have to remove it (big job) then put the old one into a pot of water with a Candy thermometer.. raise the heat until the thermostat "opens", verify it opens at the correct temp.

Do the same with a "new" one BEFORE installation...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in