Early sign of rearend failure? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 7:01 pm Thread Starter

Early sign of rearend failure?

I have noticed a small amount wetness (oily) on the underside of the rear drive at the dust cover boot. Not a drip but more of a weeping condition that when combined with the normal road dirt and grime, it appears wet.
Truth be told, if I had been washing the bike regularly I dont think I would have noticed it.
Today I removed the clamp from the dust cover (it wasnt loose but as soon as I touched it with a screw driver it was). Oil did not pour out as I feared, in fact nothing actually dripped out. I pulled the dust cover back and looked in as best I could and did not see any oil pooling in the low spot but when I stuck my finger in it came out moist. Not dripping but enough that I could tell when I rubbed my fingers together there was some oil in there. There was no noticeable odor.
Should I be concerned?
Btw, the bike is a '04 and has 52K on it.

Mike
IBA #433
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 8:29 pm

Thumbs up Possible rear end failure

I had a similar scare this last winter with an 02 (that I no longer own), I had BMW Denver check it. After disassembling it, they said it was OK and that it had probably been very slightly overfilled.
Current owner has been coast to coast on it since then and has had no problems.
Me? Ever since, I have regretted selling it and have just gotten a new 06!
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 9:32 pm

sounds Familier

I had simular issue with my 03. Dealer replaced aft seal under warranty. was only a seep ...enough to get fingertips dirty.....Hope this helps

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 9:43 pm
BEJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjac
I have noticed a small amount wetness (oily) on the underside of the rear drive at the dust cover boot.
I had the same thing happen twice last year. It was just a leaking seal.

Burt Jones
post #5 of 6 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 2:21 am

Garage
This has been discussed many times here and it appears to be normal. My 99 has weeped a little since new. A slightly overfilled rear drive , high temperatures, or elevation changes have been referenced as the primary cause. If it is less than a teaspoonful , behind the rubber gator, then button it up and ride.
post #6 of 6 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 5:30 pm

I know that you are asking the LT specific question. But the first thing that sprang to my mind was my XJ 650 with shaft drive. Now in winter, when I ride here and it is minus degrees, then it takes a while for the oil in the final drive to get liquid enough and it presses out where it can. In this case at the top overflow at the rear end shaft. By the LT it might be a seal, the weakest point. I also would not get scared as long as there is enough oil in the rear end drive.
Just my 2 cents

99' K12LT champagne
80' XJ 650 red
If you don't respect yourself who else will?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in