Purchase Decision - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 8:19 pm Thread Starter

Purchase Decision

Looking at a 2001 R1200LT with 57K miles. It seem the previous owner passed away so his widow is selling it. Asking $58K. Being inseam challenged, I am wondering about the size. I own a 550lb Vulcan cruiser now. I have had to maneuver a Kawasaki Voyager XII around a garage area and it was no fun. It is about the same weight as an LT I believe. Seat height is a big concern and I don't necessarily want to change shocks or suspension. Suggestions?

Casper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 8:36 pm

Re: Purchase Decision

PASS it up.
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 8:43 pm

First, you must be talking about a K1200LT, and did you mean $5.8K?

There have been quite a few inseam challenged people who have learned to love the LT, but it will take some practice and the desire to overcome it for the joy that can be obtained from it.

It certainly is best to have at least a 29" inseam. In 2005 BMW changed the seat on the LT to make it easier for the less tall people, but the change also made the seat less comfortable for the taller rider.

The LT is a bit of a hand full at walking speeds, but once one learns the ways to handle it the problems just sort of melt away.

Trying to lower the LT is not a great thing to do. It handles great, and for a large bike is really good in the twisties. Lowering it would detract from that, and the bike would then not be what most of us love about it.

You have to test ride one to see if it seems that it would be what you want AFTER a little learning curve. At first, it may be a little daunting, but most of us went through that.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 8:46 pm

The R1200LT is definitely a collectible which will increase in value (just like those Elvis plate you bought on e-bay)
58k is a great price, see if they have more

2002 K1200LTC Ocean Blue
post #5 of 10 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 8:56 pm

If you test drive it , be sure the seat is in the lower position....
little_jake
post #6 of 10 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 8:58 pm Thread Starter

I should have clarified that I was referring to a K1200LT
post #7 of 10 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 9:29 pm

I have owned mostly cruiser. The LT was the first "modern" touring bike I have owned. It is very top heavy. As long as you are aware of that before you climb aboard, they are not that bad to handle. Once moving, they are one of the best handling bikes out there. Respect the weight and the COG and you will love it. You can ride for hundreds of miles and still give the sport bikes a run for their money in the twisties. Just plan ahead for the stops or slow maneuvers. Everybody drops one eventually. They have been designed with that in mind. Enjoy the ride and keep the rubber down as long as you can. It is worth it.
post #8 of 10 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 9:38 pm

Casper,
All kidding aside. That sounds like a good enough price. I only wish that I had tried the LT before I bought a Suzuki Volusia in 2002. It took me 4 years of cruiser hell to see the light. At least I didn't buy a pirate costume
I have a 30 inch inseam and have only dropped the LT a few times
Maybe a member that lives in your area can come and talk you into the deal.

2002 K1200LTC Ocean Blue
post #9 of 10 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 9:51 pm

If you do get the bike, do yourself a favor & pick up a copy of Ride Like A Pro. After practicing their techniques, slow speed maneuvers will no longer be a challenge for you. Wish I had known about it when I first got my LT.

Yes the LT is a little top heavy, but that is also why it performs so well in the wind at highway speeds. Just remember to keep your arms relaxed and the bike will tilt into crosswinds while keeping a straight line on the road.

It is also the only bike I have ever ridden that does not dive when the brakes are applied hard. It is an amazing ride.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #10 of 10 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 10:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Sit on one and you'll find out if you feel comfortable on it.

Some people have reported having a second sole put on their riding boots to feel more comfortable at full stops.

You should be able to turn over a 100K with it.

Look carefully at the joint between the engine and clutch bell housing. Any sign of oil seepage there is a BAD $ign.

Count on replacing the flex brake hoses; I just did mine, an 00LT. An easy job, but requires removing a few panels.

Best from tucson
bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in