Bike took a tumble in the Garage ! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 6:09 pm Thread Starter

Bike took a tumble in the Garage !

I had been out for a short ride - stopped in the garage for a minute to finish a tune. Put down the stand and got off the bike. I was walking around the front of the bike and the damn thing fell over and hit my wifes car. Sounded like a car wreck. It put dents in her car and scraped the paint in a a few places. Shattered my windshield and the left windshield retainer. C Baileys do brake into multiple pieces (4 shards ). The XL Jpeg went right through the body and bent both the mounting bolts. Had to get between the car and the bike to get it up - hurt my back but got it up. What I want to know is why did the bike fall over on flat concrete. The stand seems to be ok - it stood there for a minute. I did not have it in gear, should have I guess, but I park it like that all the time in my garage so I can put it on the center stand. I am going to try and fix the broken cheap plastic retainer and I am going to just make the hole bigger for the JPEG (cant beat'em join'em).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfran
What I want to know is why did the bike fall over on flat concrete. The stand seems to be ok - it stood there for a minute.
You didn't have the kickstand fully deployed. BMW's are famous for it. Get the stand *most* of the way down & it'll support the bike for a few seconds till it starts to fold. The rider has time to get a few feet away so there's no chance of saving it. Something BMW should change, but until they do you have to be *extra* careful with the side stand.

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"
post #3 of 51 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 6:30 pm

Glad it didn't fall on you !

Hard lesson to learn...Even when putting it on the back stand. I always leave it in gear. When you deploy the backstand you can just pull on the clutch as you haul it up then it'll go while in gear...Can't tell you how many times I've put down the side stand and turned out it wasn't "quite" where it should be...Now I double double check...

Sorry to hear about all the damage... Everytime I think I want a CB I hear about one breaking like that....scary...Think i'll just keep re-polishing the old stock windshield.....

Broken parts can be fixed...broken bones usually take longer...

Glad that your ok....

Good luck splainin' that to the wife...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 51 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 7:17 pm

Never, ever put any bike on the sidestand in neutral except a Harley!
post #5 of 51 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 8:01 pm

Ouch, and ouch again. That is one reason that lubing the side stand is mentioned in the maintenance schedule. I noticed mine becomming a little more rigid to extend after a while, and quite by accident before dismounting one time I realized it was not fully extended (such as it is!). I now make it a practice to squirt a little something up in and around the pivot point for that little devil whenever I think about it. I think riding in the rain likely contributes to the pivot joint drying out.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #6 of 51 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 8:02 pm

Cool

Mark,

Sorry to hear about your mishap. If it helps you any, I did the same thing one week ago in my garage. I was putting my R1100RT on the center stand where I park it next to my very nice 1998 BMW Z3. I have done this at least one thousand times. But, for some reason, it did not go up on one thousand and one. It came back down from the center stand unexpectedly and I dropped it on my Z3. Amazingly, it did no damage to the bike but the Z3 was not so lucky.

Anyway, I got the Z3 back from the body shop today and it looks as good as new. I felt terrible about it but what can you do?
post #7 of 51 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 8:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E
No. Sorry, I have no interest in getting into a contest here, but that's just not so. I own both an '06 LT and an '04 Wing, and before that, a '95 Wing. ***NO*** problems whatsoever with the sidestand with either Wing, nor have I had problems with the sidestand with the probably 20 or more bikes I've owned over my 50 year riding career, so far.

This is a BMW problem, one that BMW should be ashamed of, given their claim to "engineering excellence".
post #8 of 51 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 9:07 pm

Side stand was not fully deployed. It happened to me about 25K ago! I'll try not to let it happen again and when parking for a few moments I am VERY aware of how the bike is parked and try to put into gear.

Sorry for your mishap.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #9 of 51 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 9:28 pm
Gold Supporter

You are getting a masters degree from the school of hard knocks. Your lesson can be expensive but they are lasting. My first drop in the parking lot was just as much a surprise. After buying my my new LT we too a little trip to the outlet mall maybe 6 miles away. We got off on a level parking lot and it collapsed in slow motion right in front of us almost denting my wife. Thankfully she was quicker than the bike but we both were too stupid with the new bike to ignore the downward progress. Dam near crushed us trying to save it. After reading many posts on this site we now put it in gear if we use the side stand. Never had a bike that rolled of the stand so easily. Definitely room for BMW improvement.

2005 - K1200 LT Blue
The best in life is yet to come!
post #10 of 51 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 9:45 pm

My K1200RS rolled off the side once....tranny in neutral. Very expensive lesson. ALWAYS PARK IN GEAR!
post #11 of 51 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 11:47 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your mishap Mark. It bothered me just to read about it. I learned about the side stand in a Wendy's parking lot. Got off easy with A few minor scratches. I did pull every muscle in my stomach and back lifting it up before any one could see it!! Good luck with the restore. Go for a nice ride to make you feel better!

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #12 of 51 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 1:15 am

When I was taught how to drive, I was told to never leave a parked vehicle in neutral. And, donít leave them with the parking brake onóthe cable might freeze in the winter (yea. Always carry jumper cables).

Iíve never had a bike fall off the side stand. Does not seem to be anything wrong with the side stand.

As long as I put the side stand down, leave it in first, and rock it a little to insure it wonít roll, it works.

Plus, I never use the parking brake on the LT!

Bob

PS: I always put the toilet seat down too.
post #13 of 51 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 8:46 am
Gold Supporter

We all learned the procedure the hard way. The bike fell over and I might suggest it usually has to happen twice because the first time I thought I just did not get the stand down all the way. I solved the problem by reading about it on this site. Now I rarely use it.

I would like to see a latch or cam so the stand does not collapse so easily. We do not learn the procedure until we read about it on this site. Rather than fix the problem some are suggesting a procedural manual on how to use the side stand with out having the bike fall over.

2005 - K1200 LT Blue
post #14 of 51 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 9:48 am

As an aside, when I park - whether on a flat surface or a hill - I leave it in gear, extend the side stand, and then, once I'm sure the stand is fully extended, I push the bike forward as far as it will go. Why? To ensure the bike doesn't roll forward and collapse the side stand.

post #15 of 51 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 9:59 am

Sorry to hear about your pain and the damage. Hope you feel better soon.

I just went through a similar situation. I was switching riding from one bike to another (Concours to KLT), and rolled the BMW out to warm it up. Standing next to it I started to turn, that when it fell and I tried to stop it (big mistake, as I had read in prior posts, but was a natural thing to do). BIG bruise on leg, knee also got beat-up. No damage to bike luckily. Normally, I put it in gear when sidestanding, but I was letting it warmÖ

I wish BMW had some type of ďpositiveĒ lock so you know the side stand is fully engaged.

Justin Case
02 BMW K1200LTE
97 Kawasaki Concours
81 Honda Goldwing

post #16 of 51 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 10:40 am Thread Starter

Recovering

Over $1000.00 worth of damage to the bike alone. Body panel $350 where the JPEG went through, Jpeg Bolts $25.00 ? both bent , Windshield $275.00, Windshield Motor and retainer $450.00 and labor unless I do it myself.

Seems excessive for just a drop - I am going to turn it in to Insurance.
post #17 of 51 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 11:41 am
Ted

Sorry about your mishap. Just fyi for when you get everything fixed and sorted out - you can leave the bike in 1st and still put it on the centerstand.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #18 of 51 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 11:52 am

A lesson from Willie G.

Quote:
I have to agree with Big E. I've never had this problem with my Harley, since the sidestand has a "catch" which won't let it spring back up once it's down. You have to straighten the bike up before the stand will lift. I don't know if any other bikes have this safety feature--my Hondas didn't--but it ought to be standard issue on all of them.

Spoiled by the Harley, I dropped my new-to-me LT twice in the first 3 days until I figured out the "leave it in gear" technique. Hasn't happened again, and I now even do it with the Harley just so I don't forget when I'm on the LT!

Bill
post #19 of 51 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 11:52 am

AHHHHH, just another reason to have a hydraulic center stand,,,

I never use the side stand. That LEEETLE thing with this big bike scares the crap outta me!

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #20 of 51 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 12:15 pm

First time posting but this may be useful.

A few years ago when I owned a TDM900 I had problems taking it on the Ferry and when visiting Europe - (camber on wrong side, no centrestand and very poor lean angle). I decided I had to figure some way to stop the bike moving. I started using the sidestand as a cut-out switch when stopping. Move the bike back or forwards, according to the direction of the slope and till the engine compression holds the bike. Then rest it on the sidestand. I also developed a parking brake which I still use on the LT. Take 2 x 12" pieces of velcro (one of each type and sticky back preferable) and fasten them back to back. This can easily be fastened around the front brake lever/handlebar to hold the bike and when not in use wraps around the handlebar plastics to keep it handy. Of course you still have to make sure the sidestand is down properly but this does prevent movement of the bike.

Stobie
post #21 of 51 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 2:16 pm

The Beast fell over in the garage in July with $2500 worth of damage. State Farm Ins. paid on my comprehensive coverage because it was parked with no hike to my premium.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #22 of 51 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 2:49 pm Thread Starter

Recovering

I feel your pain - insurance adjuster is coming out today - progressive insurance - very professional on the phone, prompt also.
post #23 of 51 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 4:46 pm

Quote:
I feel your pain - insurance adjuster is coming out today - progressive insurance - very professional on the phone, prompt also.
Make sure you let us know how you make out. I'm thinking about changing insurance companies, and service is concern. I'd like to know if you are happy with thier repair offer.

Justin Case
02 BMW K1200LTE
97 Kawasaki Concours
81 Honda Goldwing

post #24 of 51 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 5:51 pm

There is a lot of thinking going on by you guys. That's good.
For my part, I never trusted this side stand anyway. It doesn't seem to be strong or good or however sufficient said my gut feeling.
Well it happened to me too. After riding over 3 mountain passes in Switzerland in one go, I got a bit tired and put here on the side stand in neutral.
As everyone else said, it just lasted to get away from the bike. . . and down she went.
No real damage, just a hint of a scratch on the usual two places.
I was glad that I read on this forum about how to pick her up the proper way. So it was as easy as to smear a butterbread

99' K12LT champagne
80' XJ 650 red
If you don't respect yourself who else will?

Last edited by pcra; Jan 10th, 2006 at 5:58 pm.
post #25 of 51 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 5:59 pm

Good excuse to buy the 05 with the hydraulic center stand. I love mine.
Leon
05 Blue LT
post #26 of 51 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 6:22 pm Thread Starter

Recovering

Insurance Adjuster came by today, said most bikes he can give you an estimate on right there, BMW he cannot, you are at their mercy he said. He told me to take it to the BMW dealer in Charlotte, NC - said they knew him. Get the estimate and we would go from there - said they would also cover the damage to my wifes car since my name was not on her title (good to know). So Far So Good. He was rather detailed in his examination of the bike - found things I did not.
post #27 of 51 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 7:43 pm

My adjuster from State Farm could not do an estimate as State Farm does not have a parts database for motorcycles. He simply took photographs. I took the bike to the BMW dealer for an estimate and State Farm paid what the dealer quoted to the penny. Cost me nothing for the repairs. Pretty good deal !

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #28 of 51 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 7:45 pm Thread Starter

Recovering

Same here, but I have a $500.00 deductible
post #29 of 51 Old Jan 11th, 2006, 1:48 am

Riders Manual

Mark, I too had the same problem after having my bike only a couple of hours. Drove into the garage and put the side stand out and got off..slowly the bike went over on it's side. Fortunately, I had read on here how to pick the bike up...it seemed weird when I read it, but it really works. Next I decided to read the Riders Manual about the side stand. And low and behold there it was in bold print.

Caution: Make sure the surface under stand is firm. On a gradient, the motorcycle should always face uphill; engage 1st gear. Page 62.

I now have read the riders manual several times lots of good information in it.....but as a guy thought I didn't need to...like asking directions.

Good Luck on your repairs

'Big B"
BMWMOA #127497
1999 K1200LTI "Canyon Red"

post #30 of 51 Old Jan 12th, 2006, 8:12 am

Quote:
Why BMW doesn't incorporate a similar design like the Harley locking mech on the kickstand is beyond me. I've learned over the decades tho--it doesn't matter what kind of bike you've got--make sure it's in gear and rolled as far into the gear as possible before ya lay it on the stand. With the potential for damage to the LT--and anything else unfortunate enough to be in the way as she comes crashing down--and the cost of repairing said damage, I'm almost certainly going to force myself into the habit of hoisting her onto the center stand for all but the shortest of stops....
post #31 of 51 Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:43 pm

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinks
You didn't have the kickstand fully deployed. BMW's are famous for it. Get the stand *most* of the way down & it'll support the bike for a few seconds till it starts to fold. The rider has time to get a few feet away so there's no chance of saving it. Something BMW should change, but until they do you have to be *extra* careful with the side stand.

Why does bmw have to change the sidestand?

why dont riders double check the side stand is always down by lowering their head and looking at it with their eyes, and if need be, give it an eatra kick with your left foot to be double sure its all the way out

This is very simple to do and best of all, its free
post #32 of 51 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 5:55 pm Thread Starter

Red face Recovering

I did double check the stand - normally I do not. I moved the bike forward a little so the garage door would not hit it. Kicked the stand forward again. My garage is flat, this should not have happened. I agree I should have had it in gear, but you would think the side stand would be installed to correctly hold the bike when on the stand, not roll forward and collapse.
post #33 of 51 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 6:18 pm

Thumbs up One more reason we triked ours

Love the bike, but, too many slow speed, etc. dumps, last broke my foot required plate and six screws, plus, she said no more riding unless triked. So - just got it back from Hannigan - love it! Enjoyed reading all of this anyway. Br.
post #34 of 51 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 6:31 pm

I know the side stand scares me (love my hydraulic center stand!), so I only use it when gassing up ... didn't know about the leaving it in gear thing, but will check that out next time. Also 'pcra' talked about picking up the LT in the proper way, while I hope never to lay it down, where is that 'procedure' located?

Dave Frederick

Clinton UT
'05 Light Yellow Metallic LT

'05 Monochromatic Mulberry Red Triumph Rocket III

'12 Triple Black R1200GSA
post #35 of 51 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 7:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by walilisseu
I know the side stand scares me (love my hydraulic center stand!), so I only use it when gassing up ... didn't know about the leaving it in gear thing, but will check that out next time. Also 'pcra' talked about picking up the LT in the proper way, while I hope never to lay it down, where is that 'procedure' located?
Dave,
Just a heads up...BMW recommends that you fill the bike on it's side stand, not the center stand.
Just make sure that you do not overfill.
post #36 of 51 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 8:28 pm

Picking up the bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by walilisseu
Also 'pcra' talked about picking up the LT in the proper way, while I hope never to lay it down, where is that 'procedure' located?
Hello mate,
Details of the procedure of the 'proper' way to pick her up can be found in the Hall of Wisdom (under the 'Technical' menu link) or here http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?...lt_faq_lifting

This procedure saves lots of embarrassment...ask me how I know

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'
post #37 of 51 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 6:16 pm

Coni,
Thanks for the reply ... yes, I ONLY use the side stand when I fill up, guess the way I put the parenthesis in the sentence it got confusing. Interesting though that all this concern about falling off the side stand, but one of the most 'critical maintainance' actions (gassing up) and BMW expects you to put it on the 'collapsible' side stand?!? Could cause an interesting circumstance if / when your LT falls into another car / bike while volatile gas fumes are in the air!!!

Ian,
I'll copy and read the directions ... like I stated earlier, hope I / none of us have to use them!!

Dave Frederick

Clinton UT
'05 Light Yellow Metallic LT

'05 Monochromatic Mulberry Red Triumph Rocket III

'12 Triple Black R1200GSA
post #38 of 51 Old Jan 15th, 2006, 11:05 pm

Wow glad you are ok, and hope the insurance company comes through. When I first bought my 2000 LT the previous owner explained the "leaving it in gear" while on the side stand procedure. While it has never fell on me, the side stand still seems insecure when I am on less than level surfaces. Because of this I do two things whenever I put it on the side stand:

1. Make sure that nothing I care about is in the falling area of the bike. I have a 2005 Honda Odyssey in my garage that I would hate to have damaged. I actually have to back my bike in the garage so that it faces away from our mini-van.

2. I always push the bike back as far as I can, with the clutch engaged and while it is on the side stand before I put it in first gear and dismount.

By the way how do you like the Beemer car??
post #39 of 51 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 1:17 am

Side stand failure

Sorry to hear that happened! I had a similar occurence when I parked our LT on a 2 degree incline on our driveway and a neighbour walked over and asked if he could see how much agitation the bike needed to set the alarm off. He bumbed the bike and the alarm didn't go off so he shook it by the back trunk rack and the bike fell over. All of us standing there couldn't believe what happened. Luckily it only damaged the crash cover. I didn't like the lean angle of the bike with the kick stand down when we bought the LT so I am now in the process of modifying the centre stand by putting on a bigger bottom pad that is approx. 1 inch taller. I hope this helps and I'll update everyone as whether it works or not. Cheers.
post #40 of 51 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWdave
2. I always push the bike back as far as I can, with the clutch engaged and while it is on the side stand before I put it in first gear and dismount.
You should push the bike as far FORWARD against the engine compression as you can, not BACK. If you push it back againist compression, then put it on the side stand, the bike can roll forward enough to allow the side stand to collapse.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #41 of 51 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrae
Why does bmw have to change the sidestand?
I agree with you. I put over 124,000 miles on two LTs, never once had one go down on the sidestand. I never stopped it in neutral, and only once did I have it start to move forward (I was still sitting on it) when I did a quick stop at a mountain lookout, had stopped in third instead of first gear. Only first gear will hold the bike if there is any slope. Even that could not be trusted for very long on a slope, as compression will leak down.

Being an engineer, I looked at the design of the sidestand with some curiosity when this started coming up on the old Yahoo group, as I had the LT and my son-in-law's Harley both in the garage. It would NOT be easy in any way to incorporate the locking tang design of the Harley stand into the LT. The reason is the parking angle of the LT. A Harley leans WAY over to the left, and can do this because of the lower C/G. If you leaned an LT that far, you would have problems getting it back up. I know, did that once on a sloped parking lot. Sitting on the bike I could not get it back upright. Had to get someone to give me a little push. On my son in law's Harley, I had to lean the bike a little to the right to get the side stand out, then lean it WAY to the left to engage the lock. I sure would not want to have to be leaning the LT right and left that much! The vertical angle swing of the Harley side stand from free to locked is pretty large!

I did have places that I could not use the LT sidestand due to sideward slopes, had to move the bike around to find a place flat enough, even though there were other bikes (cruisers) parked where I could not.

The LT is a different beast when it comes to sidestand use, and the parking methods have to be learned. It is NOT a cruiser, and I am glad of that.

I do think that parking methods should be better discussed in the owner's manual, and taught by dealers when they sell an LT. It is very different from other bikes in many ways, parking is just another difference. Too bad some learn it the hard way.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #42 of 51 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 11:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I do think that parking methods ...... and taught by dealers when they sell an LT.
Some dealers do. My dealer, Hansen's Motorcycles Ė Medford OR, not only performed detailed instructions on side-stand/center stand use, reversing, slow speed handling, etc. (all with, the owner Craig, demonstrated the correct procedures and then you getting to try Ďem), he then laid-over their demo bike and teaches the procedure for picking the bike up if/when it tips over.

Vince Weidig

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -
post #43 of 51 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 8:10 am Thread Starter

Unhappy Repair Estimate

I got a repair estimate from my local BMW Dealer for the repair. Almost $2500. Kind of makes you sick. It sure makes you think about a different kind of Bike.

Last edited by markfran; Jan 20th, 2006 at 8:12 am. Reason: Spelling
post #44 of 51 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:31 am

Wow that's alot from a standstill tip-over...

Justin Case
02 BMW K1200LTE
97 Kawasaki Concours
81 Honda Goldwing

post #45 of 51 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 2:27 pm
fas

Wink Ouch!

Quote:
I got a repair estimate from my local BMW Dealer for the repair. Almost $2500. Kind of makes you sick. It sure makes you think about a different kind of Bike.
Add the damage to your wife's car and that is one bad dismount. Sorry to hear of your trouble. Perhaps by sharing you will help others avoid the pain, the loss of money, and the red face with SO.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #46 of 51 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 3:55 pm

WOW! Deja-vu.
You just described what happened the day I had a new rear tire put on my last Gold Wing. The tire shop didnít have the valve stem seated when the put the valve stem cap on and slowly let out all the air. Didnít find this out till 3:00 am when it fell over on my wifeís (just got it that day!) Firebird.

Needless to say, I didnít get any for quite a while!
Iíve come VERY close to dumping the KLT once, so Iíve resolved myself to the fact that the side stand is there only to keep me from wining about there not being one.
Sorry to hear it bud. Youíll get it fixed, and then you can join the rest of us paranoid side stand NON-users.
post #47 of 51 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 5:29 pm

I did something like that, except nothing happened to my bike. I could not find a scratch on it.
It happened after I put it on side stand - probably not fully deployed, just to move something out of the way so I could park it. As soon as I got off it, this damn thing fell on side. Luckily there was nothing around to cause collateral damage, but the bike layed down flat. I could barely pick it up, braking my back, I was too embarrassed to call neighbors for help. Then after I put it up I looked around to check for damages and I could not find a single scratch - how the heck is that possible?
Anyway, I've learned the lesson to make sure that stand is fully deployed, check it if secure and double check it.
Best of all, don't use the side stand - the hydraulic center stand is soooo good.
BJ

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2005 LT Gold (traded in for '07)
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #48 of 51 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 9:51 am
Gold Supporter

www.Wheeldock.com

Sorry to hear your baby taking a nap without your supervision. It gives us all pause to make sure there is clearance when we park.

Good testimonial for a wheel dock in your garage. The dock is portable and the bike is parked and the front wheel is locked in and the bike is stable. In the winter I leave the bike in a covered trailer, on the center stand with a trickle charger.

2005 - K1200 LT Blue
post #49 of 51 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 12:51 pm

My LT rolled off the sidestand and it damaged the tip over wing and the chrome strip along the side case .
I replaced both items , and now i carry a piece of rock , so when i park up ,whether it be on the main stand or side stand i place the rock against the front wheel so it cannot move forwards.

regards bikenumbnuts.
04 your 05 in graphite
in cold and wet blighty.
post #50 of 51 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 12:57 pm

Wheellock

This is what I like about the wheel lock. I use it ever time I pull in my garage. They are expensive but one fall over and it will pay for itself.

I did have one thing happen to mind this summer. I parked it in a motel parking lot on the center stand with a cover on it. A 50 mile hour wind came up and blow it off the center stand. It did $750 damage to the bike. I will never leave it set out in the open on the center stand. I now always find a protected area to park where the wind is not going to catch it. I leave it on the side stand in low gear with the rear wheel blocked a lot of the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB090003.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	445.5 KB
ID:	8292  

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

Last edited by Jerrym; Nov 22nd, 2006 at 1:11 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in