Side stand and first gear doesn't always work! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 9:32 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Side stand and first gear doesn't always work!

It's well known that it's a good idea to put the bike in first gear when using the side stand but it isn't foolproof - not from THIS fool at any rate! The other day I visited a friend whose drive is very steep and narrow. It's awkward to get onto the drive backwards so, as I've done many times before, I drove on, leaving the bike in gear and cutting the engine as I put the stand down. I let the bike inch forward to compression and left it. It stayed in place without trouble. I came out and stashed by new aquarium goodies in the top-case and then moved the the side. As I started to cock my leg over, the engine flipped over compression and moved the wheels far enough to let the side stand go over centre and the bike went down. No harm done - except to my pride - and I got her upright again using the recommended "walk backwards" technique.

Learn from my mistake and park your LT with its tail pointing down a slope so that any movement doesn't affect the side stand.

Keith

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
UK 2004 K1200LT Lux - Katie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 9:44 am

Re: Side stand and first gear doesn't always work!

AMEN. I don't look forward to my first incursion with dented pride... so many variables to keep track of... almost have to be an engineer to process all the data to calculate the perfect geometry for a carrier landing with an LT.

Asleepless
knight
'03 LTE Titan Silver - Active Duty
'83 VF750F Interceptor White/Red - Retired
'74 MT250 Elsinore Silver - RIP
'72 SL125 Silver - RIP

BMWMOA #143933

post #3 of 13 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 11:27 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

It's often said that there are only two types of LT rider: those who have dropped one and those who will one day. I've had mine for four years and hadn't dropped her before our recent trip to Spain and Portugal. Now this so I've christened both sides of the bike in about six weeks!

Keith

post #4 of 13 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 11:34 am
Lifetime Supporter

Glad to hear you're okay!

yeah, I leave in first gear and try to park "uphill" so the reliable force of gravity is pulling against the sidestand or center stand.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #5 of 13 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 7:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdoc
It's often said that there are only two types of LT rider: those who have dropped one and those who will one day. I've had mine for four years and hadn't dropped her before our recent trip to Spain and Portugal. Now this so I've christened both sides of the bike in about six weeks!

Keith
Actually, I think that quote is ".........those who have dropped their LT, and liars." It really does put a dent in the ol' ego but I hear they still make the tupperware..................and let's face it; if you ride at all; it will happen sooner or later...................

B-Safe; Jim
post #6 of 13 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 7:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdoc

Keith
Ahh, experience is a virtue with our beloved LT. I believ BMW can learn from our HD friends but who are they to tell us how to build motorcycles. Glad to hear all turned out OK!

On the Spain/Portugal trip... did you ship the LT or rent when you gt there?

Mugz

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #7 of 13 Old Nov 1st, 2008, 6:20 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugszy
Ahh, experience is a virtue with our beloved LT. I believe BMW can learn from our HD friends but who are they to tell us how to build motorcycles. Glad to hear all turned out OK!
HD bikes don't do anything for me. They never have. Mind you, while I had a 1981 R80RT I couldn't really see what anyone saw in the 1100 or 1200 LTs, either, until I rode one and she put her hands around my heart in a few miles.

Quote:
On the Spain/Portugal trip... did you ship the LT or rent when you got there?
We took her over by ferry from Plymouth to Santander. As we were doing the northern coast it made even more sense, though the run down the west side of the Pyrenees to the Mediterranean coast is supposed to be quite an easy one. I've posted a trip report here and I can heartily recommend the area.

I've not used them but this company do tours with rented bikes. I came across them at one of the BMW events at Garmisch-Partenkirchen so you'd expect them to be kosher.

Keith

post #8 of 13 Old Nov 1st, 2008, 8:05 am

Can't agree more about the lack of interest the HD provides me as well, they do have a locking sidestand which would make sense on all bikes.

Envy you living in that part of the world! I have intensions of shipping my GS over and leaving it with relatives for future trips...

Best regards...

Mugz

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #9 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 3:24 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage

I have used the reverse selector on occasion to assist with compression braking when parking on the side stand. Higher ratio than first gear.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #10 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 4:45 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I used to do that but I was warned, on here, that it's not a direct connection to the engine so is more prone to slippage than one of the "true" gears.

Keith

post #11 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 4:59 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Side stand and first gear doesn't always work!

Fair comment Keith, do know it's connected via the starter. Hasn't failed me yet but I'll keep your info to hand. Cheers.

ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #12 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 5:09 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I've been meaning to ask. Is the Hilton in your Avatar the one in Derbyshire? If so, you would have been about ten miles from me at the time.

Keith

post #13 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 5:47 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: Side stand and first gear doesn't always work!

Near Appleby just off the A66. East of Penrith near the Lakes District. Is that close ? Last year during July at the beginning of our European leg. pm any time.

ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in