Cold weather comparison K-RT Vs K-LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 7:28 am Thread Starter

Cold weather comparison K-RT Vs K-LT

Just an interesting observation on the cold weather protection comparison between my two bikes.

Riding gear:
Helmet Shoei RF-1000
Jacket: First Gear Kilimanjaro w/liner
Pants: Darien Light
Gloves: Olypia Gore Tex Gauntlets (Not sure what model)

The 85 K100RT has a BMW shield with the foldable wings on the sides.

The 02 K1200LT has Aero-Flow shield. I adjusted the height of this shield so tha I can easily see over it while riding. Attempeted to set it very similar in height to the RT.

Ride distance 19.8 miles with 16 miles of 65 MPH roads.

Temperature was 30 - 32 degrees F on both days. Did NOT use heated grips or seat on the LT..

RT observations:
I get more wind tubulance on my hands, feet, and face shield. Hands got cold in less than 5 miles. With face shield helmet cracked a hare to prevent fogging I get far more wind which causes my eyes to water.

Feet where starting to get chilled at around 18 mile point.

LT observations:

While the hands and feet stayed warm over the whole ride by back was getting cold after ten miles. Face shield fogged less, not sure if this is because of less wind flow equals less temperature difference on the shield.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 1:24 pm

Re: Cold weather comparison K-RT Vs K-LT

Ride on ;-) I've done more winter riding here than when I lived in Denver or Salt Lake. Go figure, eh? Enjoy my little commute more with LT than any other BMW i've owned...90/6, 80/7, 1100S, 1150GS.
post #3 of 15 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 3:25 pm

Because of my location, cold weather riding is somewhat limited compared to your riding. However, when I do ride in the cold or rain I have found the pin lock fog system on the Shoei Multitec I have is worth every dime I paid for it. The only time I have had a problem with it is when I cleaned the face shield and did not properly replace the inner fog shield. If you are going to ride in the cold, you might want to look into one of these. Not cheap, but the one I have really works.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA

post #4 of 15 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 4:35 pm

I have a 1985 K100RT and a 1999 LTC. I just pick up the LTC a few months ago. The K100 is always warmer to ride except for my hands. I put a cee baily #2 with wings, standard height on the LTC and my hands seem to stay warmer but my legs always get chilled without protection in colder temps.
post #5 of 15 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 6:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnowell
Because of my location, cold weather riding is somewhat limited compared to your riding. However, when I do ride in the cold or rain I have found the pin lock fog system on the Shoei Multitec I have is worth every dime I paid for it. The only time I have had a problem with it is when I cleaned the face shield and did not properly replace the inner fog shield. If you are going to ride in the cold, you might want to look into one of these. Not cheap, but the one I have really works.
Can you provide a link for the "pin lock fog system on the Shoei Multitec" that you have? I'd be very interested since I'm growing tired of always cracking open the visor at stop lights.

Thanks,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #6 of 15 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 7:26 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
Can you provide a link for the "pin lock fog system on the Shoei Multitec" that you have? I'd be very interested since I'm growing tired of always cracking open the visor at stop lights.

Thanks,
Jer
Go to the Shoei web site and look for helmet accessories for your helmet. They are listed there, well at least for my helmet anyway.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #7 of 15 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 12:47 pm

The thing that made the biggest difference when riding in the cold was the heated vest. The heated seat and grips are nice, but they do little to keep your overall body temperature up. The vest keeps your whole body warm, since it warms your core, it flows to your hands and legs too. The grips keep the finger tips warm.
Def the best investment I ever made! It's a BMW heated vest - they sell them on ebay for about $120.
post #8 of 15 Old Oct 31st, 2008, 4:58 pm

+1 on the vest. it does work better than the seat at keeping you warm. i still use the heated grips any chance i can too. the gloves i have are a little thin so i can feel the heat from the grips so i get a little cool on the back side of the hand. good riding boots are a must at colder temps also. my kawasaki voyager was a little better at overall wind protection than the LT, but that was about the only thing it was better at.
post #9 of 15 Old Nov 1st, 2008, 8:03 am

On my K100 ('85), I'm good to about 30F. No helmet fogging. Below that point, feet and hands start to feel the cold then moving up to the core (legs, arms, back, etc.). The LT is new to me, and the temp has not gotten down below 30 yet. However, with the same gear that I use for my K100, there is definitely more comfort on the LT, even without using the "heaters". I expect to see about a 10 degree capability differences (i.e. meaning that the LT should allow me to handle things down to about 20+).

Gear --
Helmet -- Schuberth C1 --
Jacket -- BMW Commuter with liner
Pants -- Tour Rider bib (they don't make them anymore)
boots -- Wolverine insulated
gloves -- fleece line 3 finger mittens

RickG
'07 K1200 LT

'85 K100 RT
gift to friend
post #10 of 15 Old Nov 1st, 2008, 12:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt

Thanks,
Jer
HERE is a link to the face shield section of the Shoei site. The Pinlock replacement shield and complete face shields with the system installed are available from many sources, including eBay, though the Pinlock-USA site only says they will be available here soon. There are models available for Arai, BMW, IXS, Lazer, Nolan, Schuberth, Shoei and X-Lite.

Pinlocks can be retrofitted to a variety of face shields. Universal Pinlock kits are hard to find in the US for whatever reason but are widely available in Europe. The Pinlock sites do not have any reference to the universal kit though I have found several sources in the UK. (HERE, HERE and HERE for example)

A good alternative to Pinlock is the Fog City product line which seems to be easier to find in the US. They both get good reviews.

I have one Shoei Syncrotec and two Multitec modular helmets and I have Pinlock shields in all of them. Living and riding year around in Seattle, they have certainly improved my view of the world.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #11 of 15 Old Nov 1st, 2008, 1:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock888
+1 on the vest. it does work better than the seat at keeping you warm. i still use the heated grips any chance i can too. the gloves i have are a little thin so i can feel the heat from the grips so i get a little cool on the back side of the hand. good riding boots are a must at colder temps also. my kawasaki voyager was a little better at overall wind protection than the LT, but that was about the only thing it was better at.
I had an 87 Voyager and I find the LT to have better wind and rain protection, particularly for my wife. One are though where I wish the LT was more like the Voyager is in storage space. The Voyager had the two compartments in the fairing and the two on top of the bag lids that were very convenient. The LT is a real pain with respect to storing small items like tire gauge, log book, glasses, CDs, etc.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #12 of 15 Old Nov 1st, 2008, 3:10 pm

That stuff (and more) goes into my tank bag.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #13 of 15 Old Nov 1st, 2008, 4:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
Just an interesting observation on the cold weather protection comparison between my two bikes.

Riding gear:
Helmet Shoei RF-1000
Jacket: First Gear Kilimanjaro w/liner
Pants: Darien Light
Gloves: Olypia Gore Tex Gauntlets (Not sure what model)

The 85 K100RT has a BMW shield with the foldable wings on the sides.

The 02 K1200LT has Aero-Flow shield. I adjusted the height of this shield so tha I can easily see over it while riding. Attempeted to set it very similar in height to the RT.

Ride distance 19.8 miles with 16 miles of 65 MPH roads.

Temperature was 30 - 32 degrees F on both days. Did NOT use heated grips or seat on the LT..

RT observations:
I get more wind tubulance on my hands, feet, and face shield. Hands got cold in less than 5 miles. With face shield helmet cracked a hare to prevent fogging I get far more wind which causes my eyes to water.

Feet where starting to get chilled at around 18 mile point.

LT observations:

While the hands and feet stayed warm over the whole ride by back was getting cold after ten miles. Face shield fogged less, not sure if this is because of less wind flow equals less temperature difference on the shield.

Roy
I try & ride all year long . I have ridden in -10c & colder on my LT on numerous occasions . I find my legs get a little cold . I also find the top of my hands get cold . I bought & have tested three fingered snowmobile gloves which seem to work well & still allow me to grip the handel bars safely . Other than that I dress in layers. I still prefer Fall riding in the 10 to 15C range . Sun in my face sunglasses on & shield up .
post #14 of 15 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 9:54 am

Thumbs up Re: Cold weather comparison K-RT Vs K-LT

If your riding in cold weather and you don't have a Gerbings heated jacket liner, (not vest but jacket) you are missing out. The Gerbings gear is tops and just think how great it will feel to also have your arms as warm as your torso. I've had several heated vests and believe me there is no comparison to a Gerbings heated jacket.

Joe Buttress
Plain Washington
2003 LTE
IBA SS
post #15 of 15 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 12:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
That stuff (and more) goes into my tank bag.
Yea, I'm looking at tank bags for next season, but it is much nicer to have the hard covered and water proof cubbies that came standard on the Voyager.

Given that BMW finally learned how to put cup holders in their cars, they should be able to figure out storage compartments on their motorcycles! We're not talking rocket science here.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in