Maplight and GPS - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 11:32 am Thread Starter

Maplight and GPS

Hi

I'm replacing an old GPS with a 2730. The old one is wired to the maplight for power. Of course the plugs are different. Need I remove tupperware to access the power source? If so I might just cut the old plug and wire to the present wiring unless it's fairly easy to get that part of the tupperware off...haven't done it b4. Thanks!

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey

Last edited by Reid; Oct 29th, 2008 at 12:24 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 12:07 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Maplight and GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
Hi

I'm replacing an old GPS with a 2730. The old one is wired to the maplight for power. Of course the plugs a different. I want to get into the maplight but there's a square rubber plug that replaces the maplight and the wiring for the old unit comes through the plug and I don't know if it will just pry out (if so, not very easily) or need I remove tupperware to access? Thanks!
Not sure about any rubber plug but.... the map light just pops out. Seeing as the plug replaced the light it might be held in from the inside. Remove the windshield and the dash cover (carefully on the dash cover as there is USUALLY a screw behind the light), If the cover come off your good if not the the plug will have to come out. Don't forget the 2 screws by each windshield arm. 1 on each side.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 12:27 pm Thread Starter

I edited the first message as I found the plug is removeable, however it didn't buy me much for the rewire project. How difficult is getting at the wire souce? As I mentioned, I haven't had the need to remove the tupperware surrounding the maplight. Thanks.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 1:12 pm

Reid,

I wired my 2730 to the maplight without taking any tupperware off. Unlike what I was told, I was able to do this without any cutting or filing and I can also still use the map light in addition to the 2730

Diehly

Poke it through, tuck and roll
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 1:24 pm

If memory serves there are spade lugs on the map light power leads. I just removed the map light and installed male spade lugs on the GPS power leads. Then I plugged the GPS wire harness into the female spade lugs that are on the wires that were plugged into the map light. Most of my accessory wiring routes through the hole where the map light was installed. If I had wanted to keep the map light in then would have made two into one (one male to two female) spade lug adapters.

Power wasn't the reason I needed to remove the nose fairing, it was to route the GPS audio connection to my intercom and to find someplace to stash the extra audio cable length. If you are not connecting the audio you may not need to remove the fairing. You can just cut the audio cable off near the GPS plug.

If you are trying to cut and splice both the power and audio cables it might still be doable. You can use 1/8" stereo plugs and jacks for the audio. It may be a bigger challenge installing them in cramped quarters. If you want to keep the installation neat and tidy looking then you may well need to remove the nose fairing so you can hide all of the connections. Of course once you have it that far apart you may want to just change out the whole GPS wiring harness.

Removing the nose fairing isn't that difficult. HERE is the "How To" in the Hall of Wisdom.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #6 of 6 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 2:32 pm Thread Starter

Many thanks, guys. I hadn't considered the possibility of the original power harness being connected via lugs to the maplight power. The original was dealer installed before I bought the bike. I'll try and see if I can fish the original power leads out of the maplight recess...it'd sure be easier than the alternative.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975

--H.H. Humphrey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in