New LT Owner - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 8:32 am Thread Starter

New LT Owner

I just got an '07 LT. I put about 1500 miles on it so far. I had an older GT as well as a Gold-wing, and the LT seems like a good blend of those 2 bikes.

Love the bike, having lots of fun but I'm having trouble getting comfortable with the windshield.

When I raise the windshield (stock -tall model) all the way up, I get a strong back draft that is causing neck and shoulder cramps. To relieve that pressure i have to drop the sindshield and then the top of the windshield is in my line of site. When I lower it more, then the wind is blasting in my face.

Is anyone using any other windshields?

Also any suggestions on the Intercomm/CB setup? I'm shopping for that also.

Thanks,

Fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 9:31 am

Re: New LT Owner

Hi Fred,

Welcome to the world of the LT. Once you get used to her quirks, you'll never look back.

I can't comment about the Intecom/CB.

For me anyway, I always look over the top of the windshield (unless it's raining real bad). I find myself tweaking the up and down as well as my position slightly (forward and back) to get the best buffeting (NOT Warren!).

Try to move yourself slightly, for me anyway, a small movement makes a big difference.

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 9:39 am

Welcome. Most of your questions have already been answered previously within the forum. Please search the forum prior to posting a question.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 9:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

Welcome aboard!
There is a lot of information on the topics you mention. What a lot of the discussions tend to revolve around is flexibility, function and finance. If you can afford it, you can "have it all".. mostly.

The Baehr is supposed to be the "BMW" of intercom and music system integration. You can get this from one of the supporting vendors, "Just ride it Accessories" from Raffy... great folks to work with.

The other options are many.. Bluetooth vs Hardwired, battery operated or bike powered, etc...

I purchased an "Intaride" system. Once I replaced the speakers, the quality was great... The cost 3 years ago was around $350. Today, it is over $400 but there have been improvements in the product to balance out the increase.

All in all, the Intaride exceeds my needs.

The Autocom is another quality product. However, the "accessories" and replacement parts such as helmet wiring, etc. tend to be expensive and need occasional replacement as they can cause intermittent issues.

So, let the "farkelization" begin!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 11:15 am

Welcome to the forum and I would like to apologize for those who will just tell you to do a search.

Here are my thoughts and maybe a point in a direction to find out more.

For me the Cee Baily #2 is the ticket and for intercoms I would say the Baehr system. But to find out more you can go hear to see some of the common parts and accessories. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?...ccessories_faq

Also doing a search on the website will also give you a million threads about windshields and intercoms. If you still have trouble finding answers in those threads let us know again with the issues you find or want to ask.

What you will find is these two topics have been talked to death and most people will point you to the search. But if you have specific questions once you have looked at more of the options people are always happy to jump in.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #6 of 9 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 12:27 pm

Welcome to the site. You'll finds tons of information here and folks willing to help. Might I suggest that you look at the other forums available as well as asking all your questions in the K1200 Forum. For you windshield questions I would suggest the Ergonomics & Rider Comfort Forum and for intercom questions the Intercom, CB & 2-way Radio Forum.

Not trying to be critical of asking questions, just trying to help you work your way through the tons of good information on this site.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #7 of 9 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 1:49 pm

I am pretty sure that the '07's had the BMW VOICE comm system as standard...my late '06 does. Make sure you don't already have one first. The VOICE II is not a great system, but if it's there I would try it first. You will rack up a few $$$ in cords and headsets.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
post #8 of 9 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 2:37 pm

A lot of ppl replace the windshields with after market ones to solve your exact problem. I have the OEM windshield because I dont have that back-draft problem (maybe cause I'm pretty tall). This thread shld help.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=292289
post #9 of 9 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 2:55 pm

Welcome to the forum. Lots of great info on here. My choice is the Cee-Baileys #2 -3 w/ wings lite smoke. I'm 6' 0". The -2 was to tall for me. The shield has served me very well. Good luck with your search. Cee- Baileys also has a headlite protector and quality luggage. I like RKA's trunk liner because it separates top and lower cases.

Doc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in