LT lights are crap - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 7:22 am Thread Starter

LT lights are crap

i've done a hid job on my main beam but the lights are still crap. any suggestions for AUX light set. where shoud i mount them etc, i was considering a set of Micro de hella's with the hid bulbs as i had these on my GS and they were awsome but don't know where to mount them, any suggestions welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 7:41 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: LT lights are crap

I have MOTO LIGHTS http://www.motolight.com/ mounted on my front calibers. All my riding buddies make me lead at night 'cause my lights are soooo bright they even light up the side of the road. I also have the CQ Lights brand HID www.cqlight.ca/ and it is very bright. what color/ heat range did you get? I have the 5000, it is only slightly "BLUE" and VERY bright.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 14 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 8:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycomoto
i've done a hid job on my main beam but the lights are still crap. any suggestions for AUX light set. where shoud i mount them etc, i was considering a set of Micro de hella's with the hid bulbs as i had these on my GS and they were awsome but don't know where to mount them, any suggestions welcome.
I can't imagine an HID fixture being crap! Night and day difference when ole Toad got a low beam HID. Never use the high beam anymore.

Take a run thru Raffy's webpage (Just Ride It Accessories on our vendor list) and see if there is an aux lighting arrangement that looks promising to you. I hear great thangs about the Hella products, among other available brands.

Good luck in getting 'lit'!!!

post #4 of 14 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 9:30 am

The lights could be a lot better, but I found that a lot of my problem was that they were not aimed right. I purchased the Ducati Duel light unit for my 05 and when I put her all back together I followed the aiming instructions for new low and original Hi. and what a difference. The high beam light was set to high and was not lighting the road at all. lowered the units aim and it is much much better, but I still installed PIAA High intensity LED's and Saeng NIghtcutters
WWW.saeng.com

HTH

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #5 of 14 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 9:44 am

The HID is the single (and now the least costly) best solution and I don't understand how it did not solve the problem.

I purchased my Motolights to help being seen and for low speed lighting when turning because of their attachment to the front wheel. On the other hand, I have found them worthless for actual HY night riding - in fact - I found them distracting when trying to look far down the road I was riding. Perhaps I have them aimed wrong but that is just my experience.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #6 of 14 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 10:07 am

sycomoto, At the risk of insulting your intelligence, I need to ask you a question. Are you sure that the HID that you installed was a "true" HID kit? Did you install a ballast/igniter with the new lamp, or did your kit just come with a new "HID" lamp?

I find it impossible to believe that one would upgrade to a true HID kit (on any bike) and still refer to the lighting as "crap".
post #7 of 14 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 11:05 am

I have the piaa lights mounted under the nose. I also have a hid and drive most of the time with just that but late at night and on roads in the country I will turn on the piaas and everyone in my group wants me to lead. My lighting is better then the wing and even the new victory vision with hid. Between the HID and PIAAs I pretty much light up everything.

I did buy the 6000 color hid. I did this because I wanted the blue color to be noticed. The piaas are my real work horse for lighting the road when needed but the 6000 hid is better then stock and I get comments from people that they see me better with the blue. It makes me stand out more.

So I look at the head light in 2 ways. One is to be seen and the other is to see the road better. This combination gave me the best of both worlds.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #8 of 14 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 11:43 am

I have had HIDs, low & high beam, from hid-online in Chester, England for 4 years.

They are not crap. They are incredible. I also have PIAA X1100s in the cowl. The combination is very good indeed.

I think we would all like to know what you are using, that you think so badly of, perhaps we can help.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 12:08 pm

I have the CQ HID low beam, Motolights and run high beam at all times. Rarely does anyone flash their lights. The lighting system is outstanding with the HID. The Motolights are great for being seen, but in my case, do little in helping to see the road. That could be due to less than stellar aiming. Nonetheless, I am very pleased with this setup.

The manual states to have the lights fully elevated with the adjustment knob, unless you have excess weight, and then adjust accordingly.
post #10 of 14 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 4:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycomoto
I added the PIAA PowerSport kit and those combined with the standard HID low beam and factory high beam (I have a 2007 LT) provide very good lighting. I aim the PIAAs to the side a fair bit as I mainly want to see deer along the roads that might be thinking about committing suicide. I have the PIAAs wired to come on with the high beam so that they are legal in my state and they work well. The don't have the white light of the HID low beam, but they add a lot of light to the side where I need it.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 14 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 6:45 pm

Unhappy Re: LT lights are crap

I must admit, when I added a low beam HID to my '99LT, I thought it was a waste of time too. Different light temperature, but no better down the lanes at night!

Simon

2006 k1200LT........my 13th!
post #12 of 14 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 7:19 pm

I run with the HID low beam and do agree.............very effective for spotting game animals along the roads.....................Still use the High Beam but it is adjustable from the saddle.................

B-Safe Jim
post #13 of 14 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 1:44 pm

I still use stock light with micro lights under headlight cone...mostly to flash at slow cages and when filtering through traffic. I'd guess roadways here are fairly different than there...plus was used to old slash 6 and slash 7 lights.
post #14 of 14 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 4:49 pm Thread Starter

I think one of my issues stems from the fact i run with the screen set quite high so when i'm riding down the dark lanes the screen obscures the view for the first 25meters. i've ordered som ff50 to fit my hid's into so that will offer so much more light and i've a 50watt hid for the high beam. on my old 12adv the hid made such a masive difference i was hoping the same from the one fitted to the lt. You have to understand as well i travel 110 miles a day down very dark B roads and most are covered in mud and shite so seeing whats on the road 50 yards or more ahead is very critical. with the set up i had on the adv i had 100yards+ of near daylight in front of me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in