How To: LED Brake Lights - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 5:45 pm Thread Starter

Question How To: LED Brake Lights

I have the chrome BMW luggage rack with the LED brake lights.
Has anybody the knowledge of how to get a running light and brake light combo from this light?
It's a great brake light, but would be so much better if also a running light!

Thanks!

2003 Black
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
K1200LTC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Fender Mount Driving Lights
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 6:29 pm

Re: How To: LED Brake Lights

Here's your ticket:
http://www.kisantech.com/application2.php

It's the 25LED-LT you want. I have one recommend without reservation. Does wonders for rear visibility.
post #3 of 22 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 6:33 pm

Contact Raffy at Just Ride It Accessories. He carries them and you'll be supporting a site vendor in the process.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

post #4 of 22 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 7:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznam
Here's your ticket:
http://www.kisantech.com/application2.php

It's the 25LED-LT you want. I have one recommend without reservation. Does wonders for rear visibility.
+1. Way overpriced, but not too hard to install and gets the job done.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #5 of 22 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 8:20 pm

I have the Kisan Tailblazer and love it. It is easy to install except for getting the wire through the area that the brake wire is already in. I finally just drilled a small hole. It has a plug in in the top and you run wire to a hot line below the seat.

Anytime I am setting at a light and see a car coming up behind. I just hold the brake until they stop. Hopefully the flashing wakes them up.

Ride 'em if you got 'em.
post #6 of 22 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 9:20 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I made my own LED light at the top of the seat back and I made it a running light as well as a brake light. I wired it up to 12v through a resistor that dropped the voltage down so it was a dim running light and I wired a relay up to short out the resistor when the brakes were applied and it was a bright brake light. You could apply the same technique to your rack mounted light - just need to add a resistor and small relay.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 22 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 3:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
I have the chrome BMW luggage rack with the LED brake lights.
Has anybody the knowledge of how to get a running light and brake light combo from this light?
It's a great brake light, but would be so much better if also a running light!

Thanks!
FOLLOW-UP!

I found this website:
www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_lights.htm

Fantastic tech help over the phone, Talk with Todd!

Anyway, for $4.99 they have Dual Circuit Element to Convert Brake Section to Running & Brake Item: 6121-00

You disconnect the power going to your LED brake light bar on the luggage rack, place the element in line with the power to the lights. The element has two wires that go to your brake and tail lights. You now have a instant running lights way up high on the luggage rack and still have your brake light!

I also ordered the 14.7 flex LED array that has running/brake and turn signals. I am going to install this right under the lip of the tour-pack lid.

The Dual Circuit Element will handle 65-100 LEDs.

Pictures to follow the install!

2003 Black
K1200LTC

Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Fender Mount Driving Lights
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

post #8 of 22 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 6:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I made my own LED light at the top of the seat back and I made it a running light as well as a brake light. I wired it up to 12v through a resistor that dropped the voltage down so it was a dim running light and I wired a relay up to short out the resistor when the brakes were applied and it was a bright brake light. You could apply the same technique to your rack mounted light - just need to add a resistor and small relay.
What value resistor worked for you? Also, I would go with 2 diodes instead of a relay, like the attached picture...

-Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW LED Brake K1200.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	20372  

2005 LT
ARS NS7C
BMWMOA #113753
All Roads Lead To Roads...
post #9 of 22 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 12:34 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Scott,

I think it was a 500 ohm but I can't remember. Either way it should be tailored to provide half the voltage drop for the rated current. Mine was a custom built array of LEDs and I just tried values until I had the desired effect. Diodes are better but I still had a big bin full of reed relays.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #10 of 22 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 10:25 am

Will the different load confuse the CANBUS. I was thinking about doing this to an 09LT.

also

Quote:
www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_lights.htm Fantastic tech help over the phone, Talk with Todd! Anyway, for $4.99 they have Dual Circuit Element to Convert Brake Section to Running & Brake Item: 6121-00
I didn't see this on their site anymore.
post #11 of 22 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 10:58 am

Great find. Thank you. I have to say that I did shudder a bit when I saw the "Sounds of Chrome" speakers on their web site. Holy Crap they be UGLY!!!

They also sell posi-lock connectors. If you have never used them Google them and take a look. They are incredible and once you've used them you will pitch EVERY Scotch Lock connector you own in the trash. You will then hunt down every miserable intermittent piece of junk Scotch Lock you have ever used until you find them all and pitch them too!

They also come in a waterproof version.

You may have noticed that I like and believe strongly in the product. I originally found them on a closeout sale at Wally World and bought every one they had. They are nearly gone. Nuts.

Loren
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
FOLLOW-UP!

I found this website:
www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_lights.htm

Fantastic tech help over the phone, Talk with Todd!

Anyway, for $4.99 they have Dual Circuit Element to Convert Brake Section to Running & Brake Item: 6121-00

You disconnect the power going to your LED brake light bar on the luggage rack, place the element in line with the power to the lights. The element has two wires that go to your brake and tail lights. You now have a instant running lights way up high on the luggage rack and still have your brake light!

I also ordered the 14.7 flex LED array that has running/brake and turn signals. I am going to install this right under the lip of the tour-pack lid.

The Dual Circuit Element will handle 65-100 LEDs.

Pictures to follow the install!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #12 of 22 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 11:46 am

I did find the converter is on this page http://www.customdynamics.com/plasma_rod_led_lights.htm at the bottom. They are listed now as "Plasma Rod Dual Converter"
post #13 of 22 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 2:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

I just purchased the Tailblazer rear LED brake modulator and the pathfinder front light modulator. The tailblazer turns the upper LED into a running light. Both easy installs and if you buy them as a package you get a discount. I think it was $182.00 OTD for both direct from Kisan. I put the headlight modulator on my high beam as I installed a HID kit for the low at the same time. I'm all set.

2005 K1200 LT "Graphite Graydude Metallic"

Todd "Graydude" Ask me why I'm the best Realtor you've ever met!

IBA#22266
post #14 of 22 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 4:03 pm

have a 06 with the kisan unit. +1 for it.

Bill Dowdy
2014 RT
2006 LT
2000 HD Ultra Classic
post #15 of 22 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 4:18 pm

I got this one off of e-bay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

$18 including shipping. It's hard to tell from the pics but the "module" is about the size of a quarter and maybe as thick as 2 quarters so it fits just fine in the bottom of the compartment.

Works great. I also added the 2 diode and resistor to get the running light. $2 from radioshack. Used a 560ohm I think. But anything close to 500 looked about the same.

I did the flasher first then the diode/resistor pack. I ran the extra running light cable through the wiring loom to under the seat and tied rifht into the running lights (it's a Hannigan trike so technically I pulled it from the trailer harness as it was easy to get to.

But $20 is a bunch cheaper than the Tailblazer rear LED brake modulator. It also has different flash rates and you can have it disable the flashes for so many seconds for stop and go traffic.

----------
Dave

2008 K1200LT Hannigan Trike
1991 K75RT (RIP)

post #16 of 22 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 5:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenhauer
Will the different load confuse the CANBUS. I was thinking about doing this to an 09LT.
Someone correct me if I am wrong but there is NO CANBUS on any LT.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #17 of 22 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 5:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Contact Raffy at Just Ride It Accessories. He carries them and you'll be supporting a site vendor in the process.
Even though this is an old thread, I had one of these installed on my LT by Raffy last year at CCR, I get A LOT of compliments and comments on how bright the light(s) is(are).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LicensePlateTaillight.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	28191  

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #18 of 22 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 6:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk610lt
It may not but when looking at the different lighting options I kept seeing CANBUS issues so I assumed the LT had CANBUS.

----------
Dave

1991 K75RT (RIP)

post #19 of 22 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 7:13 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
It may not but when looking at the different lighting options I kept seeing CANBUS issues so I assumed the LT had CANBUS.
There is no CANBUS on the LT. But, the center lamp running light (and ONLY that light) is monitored by the ABS brain. It is a hold over from the RSmodel that only had one lamp in the rear and if the tail light burned out it would detect and warn the rider. The warning is the flashing lights if you mess with the load on that one circuit. The normal tail/stop lights are not involved.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #20 of 22 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 7:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk610lt
You're correct - there aren't any LTs with Can-Bus systems (yet!!).
post #21 of 22 Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 4:50 pm

Quote:
Dave,

I read your article on converting the luggage rack light to a running/brake light with modulator. I have a 2006 LT and would like to do mine this way. Wold you mind explaining the process of the 2 diode and resistor (how it is wired and what I need to buy)? I am fairly mechanically inclined but not too familiar with wiring.

Along these lines you mentioned you did the flasher first, then the diode/resistor pack if you.

Thanks for the information.
Steve de Souza
Forward Message
The 2 diodes separate the brake light and running light circuits. Without them the running light voltage would light up all of the brake lights all of the time - not good.

The resistor drops the running light voltage to light the LED's at partial brightness.

I've attached a complete wiring diagram that shows how mine is setup.

Post 15 has the link for the flasher unit.

At radioshack get the following:

470 ohm 1/2W 5% Carbon Film Resistor pk/5 Model: 271-1115 | Catalog #: 271-1115

Micro 1-Amp Diodes Model: 1N4005 | Catalog #: 276-1104 (or Model 1N4001,3,4 they will all work.)

Total at radioshack $2
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LTLight Mod.png
Views:	127
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	28658  

----------
Dave

1991 K75RT (RIP)

Last edited by rosenhauer; Sep 3rd, 2010 at 4:57 pm.
post #22 of 22 Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 7:14 pm

Thanks Dave! I get to play with my li-ights I get to play with my li-ights!

Has anyone on this forum considered putting a flashing(or non-flashing) led bicycle tail light on their helmet? There are some TREMENDOUSLY BRIGHT bike tail lights out there. As much as heads swivel when riding a bike it sure seems like it would call attention to us. I'm going to take a ride to Mt St Helens tomorrow and I think I'll see if I can find a State LEO to see if this is legal.

Loren

Quote:
The 2 diodes separate the brake light and running light circuits. Without them the running light voltage would light up all of the brake lights all of the time - not good.

The resistor drops the running light voltage to light the LED's at partial brightness.

I've attached a complete wiring diagram that shows how mine is setup.

Post 15 has the link for the flasher unit.

At radioshack get the following:

470 ohm 1/2W 5% Carbon Film Resistor pk/5 Model: 271-1115 | Catalog #: 271-1115

Micro 1-Amp Diodes Model: 1N4005 | Catalog #: 276-1104 (or Model 1N4001,3,4 they will all work.)

Total at radioshack $2

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in