Ever cut the antena down - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 5:35 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Ever cut the antena down

I would like to cut the antenna down to the top of the rack. I use a half cover every day at work which would fit better. Also my heated room in my garage has only a 8' ceiling so I have to remove the antenna each time I use my lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 5:43 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Ever cut the antena down

If your bike has a luggage rack just "bend" it under the rail away from the antenna side. It is what I do to cover mine and work on the lift.

The dealers will do that too as on and off is hard on them and you will eventually break the mating points.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #3 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 6:38 pm

I lopped about 12" off mine the day I brought it home 5 years ago. I have never missed it and the radio reception is just fine.

Go for it....

Gene Sweeney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 8:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsweeney
I lopped about 12" off mine the day I brought it home 5 years ago. I have never missed it and the radio reception is just fine.

Go for it....
It won't be noticeable with nearby powerful stations, but it will definitely make reception much worse if you live out in the boonies like me.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 9:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddle-man
I would like to cut the antenna down to the top of the rack. I use a half cover every day at work which would fit better. Also my heated room in my garage has only a 8' ceiling so I have to remove the antenna each time I use my lift.
Hey, Dave - ping Grif (grifscoots). He used a shorty antenna (I believe from RatShack) on his LT forever, so it must have worked fine. It didn't extend much above the top trunk, IIRC.
post #6 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 11:12 pm

Re: Ever cut the antenna down

Yes, I cut mine down. I HATED that long stupid thing! But yes, I did lose reception as well. Eventually, I removed it altogether and put a powered hide-away antenna under the topbox. FM worked good, but AM was noisy. Argh...

I never understood why BMW didn't put a collapsible antenna on the LT.
post #7 of 17 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 1:09 pm

I just take mine off when riding to work and use the cover. It has never been a reception problem with the antenna removed. And whenever the wife and I go for a long ride I just put it back on. It only take a few seconds to either remove or install it.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #8 of 17 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 10:36 pm

I didn't want to lose any radio reception, so I cut a small hole in the cover for the ant to poke through. Then I got a grommet kit from the camping store to re-enforce the material around the hole. Has worked great over a year so far.

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

post #9 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 7:23 am

I ordered this one from Crutchfield, and replaced the whole thing. I made a bracket to mount it in the original position. It is short, reception is great. Bike cover is alot easier to put on too.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...ntenna&tp=1106

Jim G - Rochester, MN
BMW MOA #123976
2000 K1200LTC
post #10 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 7:59 am

Wink Re: Ever cut the antena down

All this talk of Bike Covers GEEEZZZZ you guys sound like Wing riders.

Howard Dusenbery 2000 K1200LTC
post #11 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 8:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskjb
I ordered this one from Crutchfield, and replaced the whole thing. I made a bracket to mount it in the original position. It is short, reception is great. Bike cover is alot easier to put on too.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...ntenna&tp=1106
Hi, Jim - mornin' to ya. Got a favor to ask. If you ever get the chance to take a pic of your install of this antenna, could you post it here?? I've gotta a minds-eye picture of how it looks installed, as compared to the OEM unit (which isn't attractive at all ), butt would like to see a pic or two. And wuz the installation uncomplicated? The bracket you made - how'd that work? Used any part of the OEM stuff?

Thanks in advance, Jim. Great info to have here for the community. And btw - that price is outstanding!! How they do that?!?!
post #12 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 8:35 pm

I have done a fair bit of building antennas for wireless networks. For best results if you are going to modify what you have try to make the antenna a divisible fraction of the wave antenna. I believe, and I could be wrong here, that a quarter wave antenna would be somewhere around 75cm long. I think that puts it at about 2foot 6 inches. If that is too long then you can cut it too 1/8 wave length. You just have to try to stay with in your wave length.

Wave lengths for 100 MHz

300cm full wave length antenna
150cm half
75cm quarter
37.5cm eighth

Full usually produces the best option but that all depends on the type of antenna too, and since no one has a 10 foot antenna hangin' off the bike, BMW didn't think so either.

This is more info than useful. FM isn't nearly as fussy as higher frequency data networks. When you get into GHz ranges, it needs to be fairly precise.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #13 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 10:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabrown
For best results if you are going to modify what you have try to make the antenna a divisible fraction of the wave antenna. I believe, and I could be wrong here, that a quarter wave antenna would be somewhere around 75cm long. I think that puts it at about 2foot 6 inches. If that is too long then you can cut it too 1/8 wave length. You just have to try to stay with in your wave length.

Wave lengths for 100 MHz

300cm full wave length antenna
150cm half
75cm quarter
37.5cm eighth
FM isn't nearly as fussy as higher frequency data networks. When you get into GHz ranges, it needs to be fairly precise.

Wow this thread just went way above my paygrade!!!!!
post #14 of 17 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 12:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by btruex373
Wow this thread just went way above my paygrade!!!!!
I was waiting for something...I just expected it from the ole ham radio operators and their crazy antenna designs.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #15 of 17 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 2:37 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Thanks for all the tips. I think I'll just buy one the length I want and set the bmw one aside for now

Thanks Dave

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #16 of 17 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 5:58 pm

here is a picture of my antenna from Crutchfield.
I used the original antenna bracket and added a small bracket to it to hold the antenna. Hope the picture helps, if not I can take more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0046.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	620.1 KB
ID:	20387  

Jim G - Rochester, MN
BMW MOA #123976
2000 K1200LTC
post #17 of 17 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 9:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskjb
here is a picture of my antenna from Crutchfield.
I used the original antenna bracket and added a small bracket to it to hold the antenna. Hope the picture helps, if not I can take more.
Thanks, Jim. Good job - pic helps for sure. Best regards.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in