Trunk handle & latch repair - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 11:33 am Thread Starter

Trunk handle & latch repair

Many thanks to "Misty" for the donated trunk handle. I decided to use one of the last nice days of the year to attempt to try and fix this while I still remember how it went together.

I removed A LOT of material from the L fingers on the black slotted bar inside the trunk. Estimate I removed about 3/8th"+ on the right side, 3/16" on the left and ground off quite a bit where the fingers slide over the pins. Filed out the grove where they lock in place as well. No part of the mechanism touches the locking pins before the lid is closed.

My L fingers are quite worn on the bar, and I am looking for any donations should anyone have that slotted bar with the pins.

What a difference it makes when the parts fit properly. Hope this repair lasts the life of the bike.

It took me about four hours, another 20 minutes to clean up all the tools laying in the basement the next day. Could be easily done in three if you have a garage, two if you know what your doing and what you need. One if you are really good. Half an hour if you are under 30 and don't need glasses!

I also bolted the handle on through the top using SS 3/16 x .75" with washers and nylon lock nuts. That took some doing to get those in there and they are not going anywhere. The rivets would not work on top for me.

I was not able to locate the top lid pins from the dealer under the K1200LT, but he did find some under the K1100 I believe. They did fit.

I used rivets backed with washers for the rest. It works perfectly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 3:46 pm

Re: Trunk handle & latch repair

Wayne,

I can appreciate the hard work that went into the latch repair. I have mine to do this winter. I hope I can have as good of results as you. Also, not one whine about cost, the brand or anything.

Dave

2003 K1200LTC Titan Silver
BMWBMW, BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in