Vibration Under Braking - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 8:33 am Thread Starter

Vibration Under Braking

I thought I would post this as I have seen a number of post relating to vibration under braking. This issue developed sometiome ago on my 2005 LT and meant that I had to strip and replair/replace a few parts on the beast!

I hit something on the M25 in late 2006, I looked at the bike when I got home but nothing seemed wrong...however how wrong was I!

In July this year whilst I was loading the bike onto my trailer to take it to my home in France for the summer I notices a bend in the Front wheel. A quick bit of investigation revealed a repairer in Maidstone who could repair the bend for £50, £70, including demounting an remounting a new tyre. In the end though the to the LT cost me a small fortune as I had to replace one of the disks as well. Iím not sure what I hit in 2006 but whatever it was, it bent the wheel, one of the disks and damaged the tyre, the first I knew that there was anything wrong was when I went to use it in September 2006 and there was a great big bulge in the front tyre! I didnít notice the bent wheel until I put the bike on the trailer to take to France in July!

The repairs to the wheel including the mounting and balancing of a new front tyre cost £70, a new front tyre (I would have had to buy one anyway) £82.90 a new front disk £145.42 and the general stuff (Grease/paint etc) to do the front forks £26.94, a whooping £324.26!!!

I did notice after I replaced the front tyre in 2006 a vibration under braking. I thought this was pretty common and probably due to the replaced front tyre either not being properly balanced or possibly the bearings (ugg!) but anyway now the disk, bent wheel is sorted its all and working and no vibration! The wheel was repaired by Motorliner:

(http://www.motorcycleframestraighten....uk/index.html)

here in Maidstone and they did a pretty good job!

So the purpose of this post is, if you have a vibration from the front end...Check the wheels, disks and tyres first!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in