Driver heated seat question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 2:39 pm Thread Starter

Driver heated seat question

My 2005 OEM seat has a three position switch for the heated seat. I replaced the OEM seat with either a older or newer driver seat that has only a two position switch. Can someone tell me switched forward or backward is on or off. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 3:55 pm

Re: Driver heated seat question

Interesting, because both my '00 and '01 have had the three position switch with the center position being off.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #3 of 14 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 4:27 pm

Talking Re: Driver heated seat question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Interesting, because both my '00 and '01 have had the three position switch with the center position being off.
Ditto what Steve says for my '00 also. Never heard of a two position switch on any LT seats. Is this an aftermarket seat, or switch? It must be! If it is only two positions I figure you can find out real easy which position is which: Sit on it!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #4 of 14 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 4:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Low-OFF-High
Bob 00LT

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #5 of 14 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 6:26 pm Thread Starter

Interesting in deed. I acually think it is off an 06. It has the same logos. The bolt looking logo with lines running through it. That logo is white and on the other side of the switch its black wide lines running through it. Maybe that will help?
post #6 of 14 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

It is definitly a oEM 1200LT switch. Until I can go for a ride and sit on it and switch back and forth will the seat power remain off until the bike is turned on? Dont want to kill the battery. Thanks
post #7 of 14 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 6:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Just to be a bit more precise. Toggle to the front: low. Toggle to the rear: high. Middle off, but I wouldn't trust it not to wear down the battery. I've read of it happening to a seat left in the low/high position. Older model as I recall.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #8 of 14 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 7:18 pm Thread Starter

Thanks all but this is a two position only switch. I will just unplug it until I get to the bottom of this mystery. Thanks
post #9 of 14 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 7:25 pm

The seat heat and almost every thing else save the power plug-ins are switched off when the ignition key switch is off . Some times it is hard to feel the center off position while riding or could it be the switch detent is broken ?

Bob G
99LT
post #10 of 14 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 7:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiman
It is definitly a oEM 1200LT switch. Until I can go for a ride and sit on it and switch back and forth will the seat power remain off until the bike is turned on? Dont want to kill the battery. Thanks
You should feel and hear three distinct detents: forward is low. (click) middle is off. (click) back is high. (click).

We've rebuilt several hundred LT seats and have never seen a failed switch. YET!

Power to the seats is provided ONLY when the engine is running.

The difference between low and high is easy to detect - on high you will feel, hear and smell your bootay burning.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Oct 26th, 2008 at 7:57 pm.
post #11 of 14 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 2:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You may have an OEM seat switch that is about to go bad. I had one that only allowed the switch to go to two positions off - center and high - back. Eventually the switch quit compltely. If it does go bad - you're in for a real treat. Depending on how much slack is in the wires you may have a difficult time having enough wire to solder in a replacement switch. I ruined one by trying to do so. I ended up getting a whole new switch with a cable assembly that is sitting in my garage. To the best of my knowledge to install the switch & cable assembly, I need to remove the seat from the pan to plug it in. I've been going without till I find an upolester. Fortunaely it's my seat without heat and not my brides.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Growing Up is Optional
post #12 of 14 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 8:48 am

Hifiman, you are not crazy! I have a 2006 LT, but had a problem with the pillion seat. My dealer could not find a 2006 pillion seat, so they replaced it with a new seat that the Service Manager told me was for a 2008 model. Since the new pillion seat was very different in appearance from the original on the 2006 (the new seat has two stitched seams running front to rear), they also replaced my rider's seat so they would still match.

The new pillion seat still has the 3-position (high-off-low) heater switch, but the new rider's seat now has a 2-position (off-on) heater switch. I just went out in the garage and checked: When the rear portion of the rocker is depressed, the heat is off.

We just got back yesterday from a 5-day ride to the Smokies, and the on-off rider's seat heat worked just fine; coldest we saw was in the low 40's. An added benefit is that the new seats seem to be a lot firmer and are definitely more comfortable than the originals.

Rick

2014 K1600GTL Exclusive
2013 R1200GS LC
2011 Husqvarna TE630

"Never ask a man what computer he uses; if it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?" -- Tom Clancy

Last edited by niobium; Oct 30th, 2008 at 8:55 am.
post #13 of 14 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 9:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by niobium
Hifiman, you are not crazy! I have a 2006 LT, but had a problem with the pillion seat. My dealer could not find a 2006 pillion seat, so they replaced it with a new seat that the Service Manager told me was for a 2008 model. Since the new pillion seat was very different in appearance from the original on the 2006 (the new seat has two stitched seams running front to rear), they also replaced my rider's seat so they would still match.

The new pillion seat still has the 3-position (high-off-low) heater switch, but the new rider's seat now has a 2-position (off-on) heater switch. I just went out in the garage and checked: When the rear portion of the rocker is depressed, the heat is off.

We just got back yesterday from a 5-day ride to the Smokies, and the on-off rider's seat heat worked just fine; coldest we saw was in the low 40's. An added benefit is that the new seats seem to be a lot firmer and are definitely more comfortable than the originals.
What you have now are the "Soft Touch" seats. The same seat except it has an extra inch of VERY soft foam glued on top of the the "low" seat polyurethane core. Throw in a couple of rows of cosmetic stitches. This seat is standard on all 08 and 09 models. I agree it is more comfortable than the seats it replaced.

I've still NEVER seen a 2 position switch like you are talking about - even on 09's.

If you do have a 2 position switch you got a bad deal since instead of having low and high heat you now have only one level of heat...

For me, I love having the two levels - high when the day starts out really cold - which for me is 40 degrees - then low when it warms up to the low 60's. In January. Brrrrr, chilly. I need to find some Geritol!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 14 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 9:17 am

Thanks, Ron, but now ya got me thinking I'm crazy...could this be a dealer mod? Or did BMW change the parts?

I have to run up to BMW of Miami this afternoon to pick up my GS, and I am going to check out the LT's with "Soft Touch" seats in the showroom, and further investigate this mystery.

Rick

2014 K1600GTL Exclusive
2013 R1200GS LC
2011 Husqvarna TE630

"Never ask a man what computer he uses; if it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?" -- Tom Clancy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in