Shock life.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 6:50 am Thread Starter

Shock life....

How long before the OEM shocks will need to be replaced ?
I have 35k on mine,anyone here gone beyond 50k....60k...more ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 7:15 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Shock life....

Some will say 12k. Personally I have 50+ and a top up or two.
Ohlins are said by some to be the best, but they sure cost.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 12:11 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

LT shocks are 'dead' by the time they have 25K miles on them. It also depends on your riding style and the shock setting.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 1:53 pm

I have 85,000 miles on my 2000 LT. I keep asking my mechanic, Dave Clark of Forever Endevor Cycles, if they should be replaced. After a test ride, he says they are fine and don't bother. I am a pretty conservative rider and all of the miles are two up.

Bob Schrader
Wentzville, Mo.
'00LTC
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 5:37 pm

We had more than a couple people from the dealership test ride our new to us 99LT, and told us there was nothing wrong with the OEM shocks at 41k.

After reading the many posts on the forum, I took it to another dealer and watched the 140lb tech bottom out as he road down the road. Our two up weight with basic stuff in the bags is around 400lbs, so you can imagine how that was working out.

One of the owners prior to us, used the bike to haul a trailer.

I purchased the Ohlins online from Kyle racing (must less than the dealer we purchased the bike from wanted), I took the time to install them, and they absolutely were very much in need of replacement.
post #6 of 9 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 8:12 am

Smile Re: Shock life....

Just finished the topping up of my preload adjuster last night and the results were incredible. Before you purchase new shocks for your LT I strongly suggest getting your local shop or a friend to do this procedure if you can't do it yourself. If you do it yourself remember to note the orientation of the hose from the banjo fitting before you remove it, use a crescent wrench to hold the adjuster when removing the bolt on the banjo fitting and place a rag under the whole operation to keep your bike clean and catch the brass washer if you drop it. Having a friend there to hold the hose up really helps. I had to do mine twice. Upon testing it I had 13.5 revolutions until I felt resistance before adding oil. After the first attempt it went to 2.5 and after the second it went to 0.5. A bottle of hydraulic oil cost me $4.95 at the local auto parts and I used about $0.15 worth for the repair. Total time: about 20 min. to do it twice. The oil was BAR'S Leaks Jack Oil. It also has a seal conditioner in it with a handy pour tip on the top of the bottle. These are the instructions I used thanks to BMWMick: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost...09&postcount=5. Before this I was dodging bumps in the road and had a lot of clanking sounds coming from the bike in bumpy areas. Also had tire rub on the rear from bottoming out riding two up. After, it felt like a whole new bike, which is an 02 with 36k on it. Hope this helps someone as much as it has helped me. Thank you BMWLT for your site!
post #7 of 9 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 3:57 pm

Talking Re: Shock life....

I only have 125,000 on my original shocks, they are a little tired, would love to have a set of 30,000 mile ones.......
post #8 of 9 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 4:40 pm

On the stock shocks we can only fiddle with the rear pre-load and maintain the adjuster. Unfortunately the front shock isn't adjustable and can wear out before the rear. Perhaps when the bike starts feeling like the shocks are going away, replacing just the front might take care of the issue.

2002 R1150GS Adventure (current)
2000 K1200RS
1999 K1200LT (current)
1998 R1100RT
1985 Suzuki GS1150E
1985 Kawasaki Ninja 900
1983 Honda V65
1979 Yamaha XS1100
1977 Honda CB750
1963 Harley Duo Glide
1965 Honda 305
1962 Honda Cub 50
1960 Cushman scooter

Was I being naughty...officer?
post #9 of 9 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 6:02 pm

Pretty much what others have said. My 03 shocks were totally gone by 30K. I as able to revive or extend the rear shocks a bit at 25K by adding preload oil, but the front was gone by 30K.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in