First Solo Oil Change - Complete! - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By hschisler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old Oct 25th, 2008, 6:58 pm Thread Starter

Cool First Solo Oil Change - Complete!

Even the little victories need to be celebrated: Today I changed the engine oil and filter and the final drive gear oil.

Thanks again to John Zeiler (CCR Tech Chair) for his one-on-one tutelage at last spring's STC. John, you'll be pleased to know when I was done with everything the only step I forgot was pre-filling the new filter with fresh oil. Hopefully that isn't too cosmic of an oversight.

For your entertainment, here's a synopsis of how it went:
1. I had previously pruchased engine oil and gear oil at Wal-Mart, and a BMW filter at my local dealer.
2. Put the bike on the lift (a little scary the first time, but man am I glad I got the optional side extensions. Sooooo much easier...). The engine was hot after returning from this morning's errands.
3. Got all the tools out, arranged the oil, filter, etc.
4. Removed the center stand cover and oil filter cover. Started draining the engine oil. While that was going on....
5. Attempted to remove the FD fill plug. Crap. I have nothing to remove this with. The plug was replaced a couple of years ago so it's not the standard hex/Allen thing. It's a large star bit. Decided to bail on the FD oil change and concentrate on the engine oil.
6. Engine oil has finished draining. Double crap. I don't have a filter wrench! WTH? Called my wife, who was in town; asked her to get me a filter wrench at the local dealer. She also got me a set of bits (Torx, star, and some other stuff) that I could do the FD (and future projects) with.
7. Wife returns with filter wrench and bits. Install new filter. Reassemble covers on the bottom of the bike. Add new oil. Note: Someone needs to invent a powered device that pumps new oil into the engine. This takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r. I used the time between quarts to change the FD oil.
8. Started the engine. Oil level looks good. No leaks. I need to get the torque settings from this site (I think they are in the Hall of Wisdom) and check those tomorrow morning.

Comments & Questions on FD gear oil change
1. Old gear oil was reddish. New gear oil (Mobil 1) was pale yellow. Was the old gear oil BMW synthetic? That's what the shop should have put in last time.
2. There was a very, very small amount of metal "paste" on the FD drain plug's magnet. Is this to be expected? It was equivalent to a drop of water - like what you might get out of an eye dropper. No visible metal pieces whatsoever, just the tiniest amount of black pasty stuff - nothing at all like 2 years ago, when my FD was destroyed when the shop left the fill plug off during routine service and I rode to Pittsburgh!

In celebration of today's little accomplishment I have renewed my membership on this site, but at a higher level. Thanks to all.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old Oct 25th, 2008, 7:21 pm

Re: First Solo Oil Change - Complete!

Good job Howard. The masses who don't know you (their loss) won't appreciate this post. I say again, good show!

A couple of comments. You stated that you removed the centerstand cover? Is this a requirement with the '05s and newer? On my '02, I only needed to remove my skid plate for changing the tranny fluid. Also, if your old engine oil was reddish, I too am assuming that's sythetic. Dyno oil would be dark brown.

As far as wanting a pump to fill the engine oil ... umm ... what's your hurry Howard? That's a perfect opportunity to enjoy the beverage of choice for the day. And, to just stare at your baby, and to talk to her. Awesome bonding time.
post #3 of 41 Old Oct 25th, 2008, 7:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Good job Howard. The masses who don't know you (their loss) won't appreciate this post. I say again, good show!

A couple of comments. You stated that you removed the centerstand cover? Is this a requirement with the '05s and newer? On my '02, I only needed to remove my skid plate for changing the tranny fluid. Also, if your old engine oil was reddish, I too am assuming that's sythetic. Dyno oil would be dark brown.

As far as wanting a pump to fill the engine oil ... umm ... what's your hurry Howard? That's a perfect opportunity to enjoy the beverage of choice for the day. And, to just stare at your baby, and to talk to her. Awesome bonding time.
Thanks man - appreciate it.

I don't know that removing the center stand cover was absolutely necessary, but it made getting to the oil filter cover a touch easier. 2 bolts and 2 nuts is all it takes to get it out of the way. You may be right on this. John Z. had me remove it, but (as I think about it now) that's because we WERE going to do the transmission fluid at STC but I didn't bring it with me. In my mind I may have connected some dots that didn't need to be connected.

Old engine oil was dark brown. Old FD oil was red. I've been using synthetic oil on everything for some time, so the engine oil should also have been synthetic. I was just curious if the red FD oil meant it was synthetic.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

post #4 of 41 Old Oct 25th, 2008, 7:30 pm

Good show, Howard! It won't be long till you try another task on the bike.

Don't worry about the paste stuff on the FD plug, tis normal.

Good onya, once again.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #5 of 41 Old Oct 25th, 2008, 7:46 pm

Good going Howard.

You'll be doing slave cylinder drills and clutch changes before you know it..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #6 of 41 Old Oct 25th, 2008, 8:33 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Howard....

Way to go.

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 41 Old Oct 25th, 2008, 9:32 pm

Talking Re: First Solo Oil Change - Complete!

Way to go Howard! And the red color of the FD Oil would indicate that they had used BMW Synthetic Gear Oil, since the synthetic they currently use is a very dark red in color.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #8 of 41 Old Oct 25th, 2008, 9:33 pm

Brilliant Howard.
Yes that red stuff was synthetic.

Lets see the wife buys the lift, and the tools huh.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #9 of 41 Old Oct 25th, 2008, 10:50 pm

Great accomplishment, Howard. And your wallet is happy too!!!

Don't know if you have sumpthin' like this, butt if you do - just ignore. If not, then print in larger font and hang on the wall near your lift. I have each project on it's own dedicated 8.5" x 11" so I can get the font size where my peepers don't have to strain!!

BTW - Caity's scoot is next????

Engine oil: 3.8 Qt.

Drain Plug torque - 30nm 8mm hex
Large crush washer

Filter Cover torque - 10nm 5mm hex

Filter torque - 11nm

Transmission: .67 Qt.

Drain Plug torque - 55nm 14mm hex

Filler Plug torque - 30nm
Large crush washer

Rear Drive: .24 Qt.

Drain Plug torque - 23nm 19 mm socket
Small crush washer

Filler Plug torque - 23nm 6 mm hex
Small crush washer
post #10 of 41 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 7:27 am

AH theres nothing like your first time! then a second and third , good job howard. we all knew you could do it.

Since your now an expert, waana do my bike?

Glen
post #11 of 41 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 7:47 am

I too did my first oil and filter change just before I left for Daytona. What I thought was "strange" was..........

I didn't remove the drain plug before the oil filter cover and when I loosened the filter cover, oil came gushing out. "An oil filter inside the oil sump?" me thought. What gives? Is it supposed to be that way or did the techy before me not get the filter gasket on good? I figured these Germans have a strange way of doing things. Maybe it's supposed to be like that and I should have just drained the oil before taking the filter "cover" off.
post #12 of 41 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 8:37 am

Ron,

That's the way it is supposed to be. Actually, most people just loosen the filter cover and drain the oil that way. You just have to do it slowly so you can catch all the old oil.

Good Luck,
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRon
I too did my first oil and filter change just before I left for Daytona. What I thought was "strange" was..........

I didn't remove the drain plug before the oil filter cover and when I loosened the filter cover, oil came gushing out. "An oil filter inside the oil sump?" me thought. What gives? Is it supposed to be that way or did the techy before me not get the filter gasket on good? I figured these Germans have a strange way of doing things. Maybe it's supposed to be like that and I should have just drained the oil before taking the filter "cover" off.

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #13 of 41 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 8:59 am

Howard,

It sounds like you knew what you were doing.... I generally spread a lot of newspaper around and have a bag of cat litter "suck-up" at arms length. I seem to always fill up the trash can with oiled newspapers and rags,

Don't know if I really save any money but I do enjoy the time with the bike, laying on my back, just relaxing and hoping that everything is done correctly. Nice to not find any drips under her in the morning........

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #14 of 41 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 9:00 am

Great job Howard. Glad you "got 'er done." Looks like you got all your questions answered.

One thing I'll add, be careful if torquing the oil filter cover screws if you do not have an excellent torque wrench such as a Snap On, Mac or similar. Cheaper torque wrenches often times do not break free, or click quick enough at very low torque settings and a stripped thread is very possible. I know you can get in the same trouble without a torque wrench , but what I do is hold whatever wrench you are tightening with, very near the fastener and use 3 fingers to snug tightly and equally.

If you do decide to use a torque wrench, just be wary if it seems like your tightening more than seems reasonable.

So let's see, tire changes, batteries, oil changes, and license plate brackets, you're about there. Have fun.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #15 of 41 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 10:43 am

Howard-
Congrats on your first oil change. Sounds like everything went well. There is a bit of "Spiritual Income" as my old accounting professor used to say when you can do it yourself. Changing the oil on the LT is a lot messier than on my RT. I didnt expect that my garage would look like the Exxon Valdiz washed ashore when I did my first LT change. Almost got it down to a science cleaning myself in a "biodegradable" oil removal solvent. Kind of sucks having to share the tub with an otter and a couple of seagulls however.

Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
post #16 of 41 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 8:06 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I had faith in you Howard, I knew you could do it. Feels pretty good does it not?

Pre-filling the oil filter is nice to have, most engines don't have it hanging verticle like the LT so it is always good to take advantage of it. Now onward and up ward to bigger and better things.

You will have to come down for STC 09 at Iron Horse in April. I think we will set up a tech session for that normal rainy Friday we always seem to have so you can learn even more stuff.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #17 of 41 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 8:30 pm

Here, Howard...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45403

There's the pump... use clean oil.. buy a case and fill it up.. then just pump it into the bike.... or just get a funnel with long hose..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #18 of 41 Old Nov 1st, 2009, 7:42 pm

I use to do my own oil change on my RT. I now have a 09' LT and would like to do the same. I looked under the bike and it looks like the center stand plate should come off.

I also saw the oil filter cover, Are you telling me that when I remove this cover oil will come out? How Much? and Why?

Thanks Tony
post #19 of 41 Old Nov 1st, 2009, 8:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyla
I use to do my own oil change on my RT. I now have a 09' LT and would like to do the same. I looked under the bike and it looks like the center stand plate should come off.

I also saw the oil filter cover, Are you telling me that when I remove this cover oil will come out? How Much? and Why?

Thanks Tony
I only have to remove the skid plate on my 07, no need to remove anything on the centerstand. One of the cover plate bolts is very close to part of the centerstand, but it doesn't prevent getting the bolt out.

The oil filter, even though a spin-on type, is IN the oil sump. This is why oil comes out when the cover is removed.

I know that many drain the oil using the cover alone and leave the drain plug in place, but I'm a purist and prefer to drain the oil with the drain plug. The main reason is that I don't want the drain plug seized in place which is a likely outcome if it is left in place for serveral years. Also, the oil drains quickly and I like to do that to help flush out any sediment. Removing the cover then only requires draining a small amount of oil and makes things much cleaner.

However, either way will work and you get to make that call.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #20 of 41 Old Nov 1st, 2009, 9:19 pm Thread Starter

Yep, that all seems correct.

Having just done an engine oil change last night I'm thinking about using the drain plug the next time. You bring up some good points, plus draining the oil through the filter cover gets really messy.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #21 of 41 Old Apr 27th, 2012, 10:50 am

I am attempting my first oil change and noticed that one of the oil filter lid screws does interfere with the center stand on my bike. I am wondering if anyone else has seen this. I have a 2008 LT. Currently i am unable to remove the bolt and finish the oil change.

thanks for your advice,

alex
post #22 of 41 Old Apr 27th, 2012, 1:36 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Answered your other post.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #23 of 41 Old Aug 29th, 2012, 4:00 pm

Thanks for the info. Newbie to BMW. Will perform my first fluid changes soon. Regards, Perry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Great accomplishment, Howard. And your wallet is happy too!!!

Don't know if you have sumpthin' like this, butt if you do - just ignore. If not, then print in larger font and hang on the wall near your lift. I have each project on it's own dedicated 8.5" x 11" so I can get the font size where my peepers don't have to strain!!

BTW - Caity's scoot is next????

Engine oil: 3.8 Qt.

Drain Plug torque - 30nm 8mm hex
Large crush washer

Filter Cover torque - 10nm 5mm hex

Filter torque - 11nm

Transmission: .67 Qt.

Drain Plug torque - 55nm 14mm hex

Filler Plug torque - 30nm
Large crush washer

Rear Drive: .24 Qt.

Drain Plug torque - 23nm 19 mm socket
Small crush washer

Filler Plug torque - 23nm 6 mm hex
Small crush washer
post #24 of 41 Old Aug 29th, 2012, 7:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dablade
Thanks for the info. Newbie to BMW. Will perform my first fluid changes soon. Regards, Perry
Better get new glasses first so you can read normal size font!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #25 of 41 Old Aug 30th, 2012, 1:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Better get new glasses first so you can read normal size font!
+1

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #26 of 41 Old Aug 31st, 2012, 12:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
Good going Howard.

You'll be doing slave cylinder drills and clutch changes before you know it..

John
that's not something any of us wants to hear..but you are right, the more you do the more comfortable you'll be with doing the things that may become necessary..

02 K1200LTE (103K)
01 Honda Valkyrie (49K)
1998 Goldwing Aspencade (58K)
65 Chevelle coupe
USAF, E7 retired
(509-760-6382) if you are in the area and need help
post #27 of 41 Old Sep 1st, 2012, 2:09 pm

Sorry about the print size. I guess my age is showing.
I went to the auto parts store with my owner's manual today, and the oil on the shelves was just about all rated SN.
I am under the impression that since the clutch is dry, we are to use automotive oil in the engine instead of that for motorcycles. Maybe I am paranoid, but please verify if this is correct. Can I safely use Mobil 1 automotive oil rated SN? if not, please recommend suitable equivalents.

Regards,

Perry
post #28 of 41 Old Sep 1st, 2012, 2:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dablade
Sorry about the print size. I guess my age is showing.
I went to the auto parts store with my owner's manual today, and the oil on the shelves was just about all rated SN.
I am under the impression that since the clutch is dry, we are to use automotive oil in the engine instead of that for motorcycles. Maybe I am paranoid, but please verify if this is correct. Can I safely use Mobil 1 automotive oil rated SN? if not, please recommend suitable equivalents.

Regards,

Perry
I believe many here use Mobil 1 in their LTs with no issues. The hard part can be finding the appropriate viscosity range. Even though I use Mobil 1 in all of my cars and trucks (4 of them), I decided not to use it in my LT. The main reason is that I use Mobil 1 mainly for its low temperature perfrmance as I live in area that is pretty cold much of the year. I don't ride the LT much below freezing so cold starting is just not an issue.

Also, the Mobil 1 does not technically meet the BMW published specs. The Castrol 4T oil does meet the spec (SG as I recall) and is available at my local Autozone in the right viscosity (20W50) for my climate. And it costs about half as much as Mobil 1.
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7040925

I just completed my 24,000 mile maintenance (actually had 27,000 miles at the time) and my engine was clean as a whistle on the top end. No sludge at all and only a mild brown film on the valve cover. So, the Castrol is doing a nice job keep the engine clean and the cam and lifters showed no significant signs of wear.

If I could readily obtain Mobil 1 in 15W50, I might use it, but no local sources carry it. Wal-Mart carried it until about 3 years ago, but dropped it.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #29 of 41 Old Sep 1st, 2012, 2:38 pm

Thanks for the input. Although my local parts store does stock Mobil 1 in 15w50, I may use the Castrol 4T instead. Castrol is the oil of choice for my Volvo from the factory.
post #30 of 41 Old Nov 22nd, 2012, 9:49 pm

Thanks for the detailed post, Howard! Here it is a few years later and you helped give me the courage to tackle my own oil change this year! It was very satisfying, to say the least. The kitty litter was a big help Dan, as I dropped the old filter on the garage floor. DOH! My wife never noticed the spill...I know that she was expecting far worse.
Think I'll get a pump to fill'er up next time...the funnel and hose was a wee bit slow for me.
Might just tackle a new set of piston rings next!

If I ain't drummin'...I'd rather be ridin'!
post #31 of 41 Old Nov 22nd, 2012, 11:38 pm

HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION! If you count August this year and today, that's 4 times this one's been brought back to life! It's got to be a record. Does anyone keep up with these things?!?

Good on you for getting that first oil change under your belt, Howard. I'm only 4 years too late!

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #32 of 41 Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 7:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION! If you count August this year and today, that's 4 times this one's been brought back to life! It's got to be a record. Does anyone keep up with these things?!?

Good on you for getting that first oil change under your belt, Howard. I'm only 4 years too late!
My work here is done.

But seriously, this site is valuable for owners of all skill and experience levels. This thread reinforces that, and it shows that I'm not the only one out there who is working on improving basic skills.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #33 of 41 Old Nov 24th, 2012, 11:22 am

This new image is dedicated to Howard:

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #34 of 41 Old Nov 24th, 2012, 6:53 pm Thread Starter

That's funny, Brian!

What's also funny - but in a very different way - is when I re-read the original post that started this thread. Changing the engine oil and filter seems pretty mundane now, and I suppose that's a good thing.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #35 of 41 Old Nov 25th, 2012, 9:48 pm

Good 'un Brian!
So much great info here....timeless.

If I ain't drummin'...I'd rather be ridin'!
post #36 of 41 Old Sep 19th, 2013, 5:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13

Got my bike recently, so your first experience was just what I wanted to see! What type
Of oil is used in the Final Drive? How long would it take for a novis?
post #37 of 41 Old Sep 19th, 2013, 10:13 pm

WARNING! WARNING! Danger, Will Robinson!

This is becoming an oil thread. HORRORS!

I use BMW 80W-90 non-synthetic oil in the tranny and FD. The FD gets changed every 5000 miles when I do the engine oil. The tranny gets changed every 10,000. Both are more often than BMW recommends/requires, but it's easier for me to keep up with.

I just changed the engine oil and FD oil this past Sunday. I take my time and don't rush the process. Probably took a couple of hours, but I was at Dave's garage and we were discussing final drive rebuilds, the BikeSafe NC class we took on Saturday, and a number of other things. Time flies when you're hanging out with a good friend(s), working on bikes, and solving the world's problems.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #38 of 41 Old Sep 19th, 2013, 11:20 pm Thread Starter

... not to mention what I believe is the fifth resurrection of this thread. Must be some good info in here. Just goes to show the value of the search tool.
CaliDefector likes this.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #39 of 41 Old Mar 12th, 2016, 5:37 pm

A good (oil) discussion can always be resurrected one more time, right? I know oil threads have a notorious reputation for longevity and length, but manufacturers change product specifications and new offerings come to the market. I'm doing my first oil change and attempting a 12,000 mile service on my 2002 LTE @32,000 miles - along with installing a fuzeblock (velcroed to the battery), motolights and upgrading my original (suitable for the Smithsonian?) Navigator to a Motorrad Navigator IV. I wouldn't be tackling all this without the help of one of our Naval Academy midshipmen that we sponsor who loves all things mechanical. So - my questions:

1. Mobil 1 now comes both in an apparent multi-use 20w-50w and a 4 cycle motorcycle same viscosity formulation. For those that use Mobil 1, which do you use? The non motorcycle one is available at $25/gal and in stock...

2. I've searched but haven't found guidance on upgrading the gps. Can the original wiring be used or modified - or do I just have to do a full replacement for the wiring. How about the bracket? I do have the mount with buttons. Any mounting suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

2002 Toscana Green K1200LTE
1998 Triumph Trophy 1200
1982 Yamaha Special II 650 (sold)
1968 Triumph Trophy 500 (sold)
1968 Puch 125 (passed along)
post #40 of 41 Old Mar 13th, 2016, 3:31 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Get the Non-Motorcycle since this is an inline 4 cylinder with a dry clutch. You don't need a motorcycle specific oil which is formulated for a wet clutch and air cooled engine.

The NAV IV should come with every thing you need. The Harnesses are quite different.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #41 of 41 Old Mar 14th, 2016, 12:28 am

Thanks John! That's just what I needed - to the point and no need to drag out an old oil thread.

2002 Toscana Green K1200LTE
1998 Triumph Trophy 1200
1982 Yamaha Special II 650 (sold)
1968 Triumph Trophy 500 (sold)
1968 Puch 125 (passed along)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in