BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Charging a Garmin Nuvi GPS & hearing voice prompts

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  pstlero 
#1 ·
I purchased a Garmin Nuvi GPS unit for use in the car and on my LT. The unit came with a cigarette lighter socket type charger. The charger works fine in my car.To see if it would work on the bike I purchased a lighter socket from the local automotive spares shop and connected it directly to the terminals on the battery and plugged the unit in. No joy. The little light on the back of the charger socket does not go on the the Nuvi will not charge. I tested the terminals on the socket and have 12.5 volts.Why will the charger not work on the bike and should I use the standard power socket on the LT and make up an adapter with a "cigarette lighter" type socket on the one end for the GPS unit? Can I somehow connect the earphone out socket on the GPS unit into the radio on the bike so I can hear the voice prompts from the navigation system?

#2 ·
I think you'll find that the female cigarette lighter socket you bought to fit to the bike is probably a little on the short side for the male plug that came with the GPS, there ARE two different lengths of female socket available. I have had this trouble before.
displayed here

This type works with my Garmin, I cut the male end off and wired the cable to a power source and left the female end fitted to the bike, it has a waterproof cover fitted and only cost a few pounds here in the UK. I'm sure they will be available near you.

#3 ·
Geoffrey,
I think you will find that the BMW female socket is a different size from a standard car socket.
You can probably buy a male one at your dealer to make an adaptor, or you will have to buy one from someone like these people
http://www.sierrabmw.bigstep.com/item.html;$sessionid$V4MFNAIAAADEJTZENUGUTIWPERWRJPX0?UCIDs=820323%7C1122540&PRID=1091857
Simon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.