Charging a Garmin Nuvi GPS & hearing voice prompts - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 7:29 am Thread Starter

Charging a Garmin Nuvi GPS & hearing voice prompts

I purchased a Garmin Nuvi GPS unit for use in the car and on my LT. The unit came with a cigarette lighter socket type charger. The charger works fine in my car.To see if it would work on the bike I purchased a lighter socket from the local automotive spares shop and connected it directly to the terminals on the battery and plugged the unit in. No joy. The little light on the back of the charger socket does not go on the the Nuvi will not charge. I tested the terminals on the socket and have 12.5 volts.Why will the charger not work on the bike and should I use the standard power socket on the LT and make up an adapter with a "cigarette lighter" type socket on the one end for the GPS unit? Can I somehow connect the earphone out socket on the GPS unit into the radio on the bike so I can hear the voice prompts from the navigation system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 8:00 am

I think you'll find that the female cigarette lighter socket you bought to fit to the bike is probably a little on the short side for the male plug that came with the GPS, there ARE two different lengths of female socket available. I have had this trouble before.
displayed here

This type works with my Garmin, I cut the male end off and wired the cable to a power source and left the female end fitted to the bike, it has a waterproof cover fitted and only cost a few pounds here in the UK. I'm sure they will be available near you.
post #3 of 4 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 9:00 am

Geoffrey,
I think you will find that the BMW female socket is a different size from a standard car socket.
You can probably buy a male one at your dealer to make an adaptor, or you will have to buy one from someone like these people
http://www.sierrabmw.bigstep.com/item.html;$sessionid$V4MFNAIAAADEJTZENUGUTIWPERWRJ PX0?UCIDs=820323%7C1122540&PRID=1091857
Simon

post #4 of 4 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 9:00 pm

Hi Geoffrey,

I too just got the Nuvi, and I used a Sony cassette adapter to plug in the voice and music from the Mp3 player. Works great. Any good audio type store has them. Got mine from Bestbuy for around $20.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in