LT Love - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 2:00 pm Thread Starter

LT Love

Took a little fall ride today about 35 miles south to Cantril, Iowa. There's a store there run by Menonites called the Dutchman's store. It was 47 degrees and with a light rain going down. We had the grips on the seats on our vests plugged in and our satellite radio going. Nice to have a bike that can handle so much electrical output so well. In the light rain with the shield up and the wings out we didn't even get wet going down. The rain had mostly stopped on the way back on the back roads. Took them slowly because of the deer issue this time of year. All in all it was a fine ride. Makes you love the LT when you realize again all she can do easily.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 2:07 pm

Re: LT Love

Can't agree with you more! With the capabilities of this bike it is comfortable, built to handle the elements as much as possible for a motorcycle, and still able to keep up in the twisties to boot.

Mugz

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #3 of 18 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 2:08 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Glad to hear you had a great ride. I enjoy cooler weather riding much more then hot weather
Then again I sweat if I think to hard.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC

post #4 of 18 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 3:17 pm

I LOVE MY LT TOO!!! I take this thing to work every day, takes me everywhere! Plug in my heated vest, warm grips and seats and have a blast! LOVE THIS BIKE!!
post #5 of 18 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 3:42 pm

Out of pure boredom for the last 4 or 5 months I have thought about maybe getting a new bike,,, But every bike I sit on or test ride makes me even more satisfied with the LT...

I have looked at the FJR, the K/GT, the new Concours, especially the Triumph Tiger, but none seem to fill the bill.. Even the boxers don't come close, hell for two cylinders I'll go back to HD...

I really think I'm happily stuck with the K/LT.........Pete
post #6 of 18 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 4:13 pm

Di wh sa!

I bought my LT in July... and the Maine winter is fast approaching.. folks are saying.. are you still riding? I look at them, I look at the bike and say, OF COURSE!

I haven't purchased any heated equipment yet.. and I still haven't donned the insulated liners in my riding gear. I am enjoying this first fall season to the max. Between the vistas I'm taking in.. and seeing what I need to do to stay comfortable in ever decreasing temps I'm loving every mile.

The other morning the bike temp read 29... coldest morning ride...but really.. between the riding gear(still without liners): the thinsulate gloves, nolan 102 and boots, grip and seat heat... the only cool spots have been between my shoulder blades, on the top of my forearms, the small of my back, and the front of my shins... all of which were only cool and not uncomfortable.

LT Love? U BETCHA

Asleepless
knight
'03 LTE Titan Silver - Active Duty
'83 VF750F Interceptor White/Red - Retired
'74 MT250 Elsinore Silver - RIP
'72 SL125 Silver - RIP

BMWMOA #143933

post #7 of 18 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 5:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
It was 47 degrees and with a light rain going down. We had the grips on the seats on our vests plugged in and our satellite radio going. Nice to have a bike that can handle so much electrical output so well. In the light rain with the shield up and the wings out we didn't even get wet going down.

Good to hear as tomorrow's forecast is about the same and I'm picking up my first LT. It's going to be a 70 mile ride home and I'm really looking forward to it.

2006 R1200RT
2006 Kawasaki KLR 650
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s
post #8 of 18 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 7:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugszy
Can't agree with you more! With the capabilities of this bike it is comfortable, built to handle the elements as much as possible for a motorcycle, and still able to keep up in the twisties to boot.

Mugz
LT'S RULE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
post #9 of 18 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 7:35 pm

Love my LT too. Been a chilly 58 degrees in the morning when I leave for work and 96 degrees when I ride home in the afternnon. Not too fun when the Santa Ana winds blow but she handles it just fine. Might have to start using the windbreaker on my mesh jacket soon...
post #10 of 18 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 8:45 pm

I feel your pain. I went for a ride yesterday and today and at the beach (10mins from the house) it was 78, yesterday it was 88..... winters comming fast!

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #11 of 18 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 8:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock1098
Love my LT too. Been a chilly 58 degrees in the morning when I leave for work and 96 degrees when I ride home in the afternnon. Not too fun when the Santa Ana winds blow but she handles it just fine. Might have to start using the windbreaker on my mesh jacket soon...
Chilly 58??? That is a heat wave!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #12 of 18 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 10:20 pm

Here! Here!

Cool and wet is good for the LT. Much better than a hot summer afternoon!

I was going 70mph through 28 degree air this morning on the way to work for 35 miles. No prob.

Why do I call it Das Boat? Well, it's from Germany; it's huge; it's grey (silver); you need a ladder to get on and off of it; refueling is awkward; but like a boat, it provides relative comfort and protection in an otherwise hostile environment.

Dave
post #13 of 18 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 10:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBoat2003
Here! Here!

I was going 70mph through 28 degree air this morning on the way to work for 35 miles. No prob.

Why do I call it Das Boat? Well, it's from Germany; it's huge; it's grey (silver); you need a ladder to get on and off of it; refueling is awkward; but like a boat, it provides relative comfort and protection in an otherwise hostile environment.

Dave
Hillarious Dave..

Asleepless
knight
'03 LTE Titan Silver - Active Duty
'83 VF750F Interceptor White/Red - Retired
'74 MT250 Elsinore Silver - RIP
'72 SL125 Silver - RIP

BMWMOA #143933

post #14 of 18 Old Oct 25th, 2008, 9:00 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: LT Love

Quote:
Here! Here!

Dave
Not to be too picky here, but isn't it Das Boot?
You might also add, it goes through water nicely.

Greg

I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #15 of 18 Old Oct 25th, 2008, 9:03 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglove
Glad to hear you had a great ride. I enjoy cooler weather riding much more then hot weather
Then again I sweat if I think to hard.
Usually, by the time I get all the warm weather gear on, I AM sweating. Then I have to ride to cool off.

Greg

post #16 of 18 Old Oct 25th, 2008, 10:21 am

OK, OK, Greg, I stand corrected. It is Das Boot - not Boat.

For some reason, the forum software wouldn't take DasBoot, so I just used DasBoat, hoping no one would notice. Guess I should've known better. It seems the BMW crowd is a little better educated than average...

And by the way, last summer, during a downpour on the way home from work, I hit a long deep puddle on the interstate going 65mph. I didn't have time to change lanes, just time enough to see the puddle. I was expecting a bad hydroplane episode, but The Boat went straight through it, without even a slight bobble. Just made a loud SSSSSSSS noise.

The Boat, and all LT's for that matter, are great going down the highway at 70mph in nice weather. But you really appreciate the LT in potential hydroplane situations, panic stops, 30 mph crosswinds, and Oh-my-god maneuvering.

Am I right?
post #17 of 18 Old Oct 25th, 2008, 12:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
OK, OK, Greg, I stand corrected. It is Das Boot - not Boat.

For some reason, the forum software wouldn't take DasBoot, so I just used DasBoat, hoping no one would notice. Guess I should've known better. It seems the BMW crowd is a little better educated than average...

And by the way, last summer, during a downpour on the way home from work, I hit a long deep puddle on the interstate going 65mph. I didn't have time to change lanes, just time enough to see the puddle. I was expecting a bad hydroplane episode, but The Boat went straight through it, without even a slight bobble. Just made a loud SSSSSSSS noise.

The Boat, and all LT's for that matter, are great going down the highway at 70mph in nice weather. But you really appreciate the LT in potential hydroplane situations, panic stops, 30 mph crosswinds, and Oh-my-god maneuvering.

Am I right?
Absolutely. And last summer on the way down to NC I drove through water over the road when the Salt river overflowed its banks. It was about a 2 mile stretch and the water at its deepest was above the pegs. She handled it beautifully.

Greg

post #18 of 18 Old Oct 25th, 2008, 3:58 pm

I was the only bike on the road over the 120 miles that I saw today.....47 degrees and just a fantastic ride...The LT is perfect.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in