Trapped - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 9:36 am Thread Starter

Trapped

I thought I'd share my experience last night when the LT fell on me.

When I come home from work at night, I always back the LT into my little parking spot next to the curb/sidewalk. Last night as I was backing, I saw the curb getting closer and raised my right foot to place it on the curb and help me push back, but I misjudged the position and missed the curb. Before I could correct my mistake, the bike leaned over; trapping my foot under the tip-over wing. My foot was firmly stuck between the curb and the bike; the three points holding the bike up were the tires, and my leg. It's probably a good thing there was less than a gallon in the gas tank.

So there I am; it's 40 degrees, it's midnight, and I'm stuck under this big bike with no idea how I'm going to get out of this mess. It was really starting to hurt! I thought maybe my leg or ankle was broken. I was holding myself up from the ground, and still on the bike, by my right arm held straight out. I tried to push the bike up and forward to release my foot, but as it moved a little, it slid down my leg and put even more weight on it causing a lot more pain.

The bike was off and in gear, so it would not move any further forward. I finally managed to stretch my left leg enough to take it out of gear, but when I used my left hand to pull on the right grip, the bike started up (nice and smooth by the way) and I realized I hadn't even turned off the key. (I always use the kickstand to turn off the bike, and I usually do that before I start backing the girl. Trying to be polite to my neighbors at midnight.)

Every direction I moved caused more pain and I was getting angry (with myself) as I tried and tried to get loose. I must have been talking to myself, or the bike, because after 20 minutes of so, someone finally came to my rescue and actually asked if I need help. He had a friend with him and they pushed the big girl back upright and held it there for me.

I was able to climb back on the bike and complete backing it into my parking spot while thanking them again and again. My leg wasn't broken but I've got a big “dent” where the tip-over wing sat on the front of my leg. My boots probably saved my ankle and the other gear may have cushioned the weight of the bike against my leg just a little. I'm going to have a nice bruise or a while, but most of the pain went away during the night.

What an experience! Thanks for reading.

Jim
-------------------
2000 Canyon Red K1200LT (new to me)
1980 Susuki 850GL (given to my brother)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 9:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Trapped

She knows how to break your heart... wallet.. and leg... that's a heck of a lesson!

Hope you heal up soon... and remember..

Lose the lumps, not the lesson....

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 10:38 am

Awww man, I was expecting to hear a story something like THIS that happened in 2003:

Hiking his way through a 3-foot-wide section of Utah's Blue John Canyon, Aron Ralston had no warning before the giant boulder shifted onto him, pinning his right arm in a crack in the canyon wall.

He had been stuck for four days when his water ran out. On the sixth day, the 27-year-old mountain climber knew there was only one way he could survive.

Using a pocketknife, Ralston cut off his own arm.

He made the cut below the elbow and applied a tourniquet. He then administered first aid from a kit in his backpack. Rigging anchors, he fixed a rope and rappelled 60 feet to the floor of the remote canyon near Canyonlands National Park in southeastern Utah.

Ralston, an avid outdoorsman, then began to hike back to his truck. He encountered two tourists and had been walking for seven miles when a rescue helicopter spotted him.

The absolute worst part of this ordeal was that his knife was dull - really dull.

You're really lucky someone came to your assistance, from the way you describe it you were probably in mild shock with hypothermia right around the corner. Glad to hear you're OK with just a ding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

post #4 of 15 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 10:49 am

When I read your story, I couldn't help but think about that old Airplane Movie and their National Enquirer cover story "Boy Trapped In Refrigerator Eats Own Foot"

Glad you got freed quickly and your Guardian Angels did not take pictures!

Amazing how a little off center can make her come down.

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #5 of 15 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 2:47 pm

Not that I hope you (or ME) ever find ourselves in that position again, but I think I would start laying on the horn hoping someone would either come see what the noise was or call the cops!

Custom sig temporarily unavaiulable while I think about it.
post #6 of 15 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 4:40 pm

I was going to suggest the horn also. You can't image how many people fall and crawl around there house waiting to be found becasue they can't reach the phone. All they have to do is pull on the cord and the phone would fall down and they could say I have fallen and can't get up.

So,the next time someone gets trapped, honk the horn.

Ride 'em if you got 'em.
post #7 of 15 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 7:32 pm Thread Starter

I really was about to call the cops on my cellphone. But I had to at least try to get out from under the big girl first.

Jim
-------------------
post #8 of 15 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 9:39 pm

Jim... pardon my seeing humor in this...and I am glad it all worked out without any serious injuries--no dull knives were used in the extrication from under the big girl...

but to me.. the funny part is...

Quote:
... after 20 minutes of so, someone finally came to my rescue and actually asked if I need help.
I'm thinking to myself.. .HELLO??? Do I look like I'm admiring my chrome side cases over here or what????? OF COURSE I NEED HELP YOU MORON!

Asleepless
knight
'03 LTE Titan Silver - Active Duty
'83 VF750F Interceptor White/Red - Retired
'74 MT250 Elsinore Silver - RIP
'72 SL125 Silver - RIP

BMWMOA #143933

post #9 of 15 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 9:55 pm Thread Starter

Yes, I saw the humor in it as well. That's why I posted it.

Jim
-------------------
post #10 of 15 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 10:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by excellentjim
Yes, I saw the humor in it as well. That's why I posted it.
Guys, guys.. he was in Louisiana... and you always "ask first"... when the guy is conscious.

It's sorta like that Yankee who asked Boudreaux what he was doing pulling a chain down the street... Boudreaux said.... "Whal, I kin tell dat you neva try to PUSH one... you silly cahoot."

If you don't understand, I doubt I can explain it.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #11 of 15 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 10:27 pm Thread Starter

Question Re: Trapped

Just a thought - since the bike didn't actually go all the way over, and never touched the ground, does it still count as a drop?

Jim
-------------------
post #12 of 15 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 10:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Only if the tipover bars actually made contact with the ground.

Nice move diving under her to save the day.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #13 of 15 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 11:00 pm

What drop?

Asleepless
knight
'03 LTE Titan Silver - Active Duty
'83 VF750F Interceptor White/Red - Retired
'74 MT250 Elsinore Silver - RIP
'72 SL125 Silver - RIP

BMWMOA #143933

post #14 of 15 Old Oct 25th, 2008, 7:00 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Jim glad to hear it you and the bike were not hurt to bad. Your ego on the other hand, well thats another story

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #15 of 15 Old Oct 25th, 2008, 8:02 am

To avoid these fears and because I am 70 years old and not as strong as I used to be--I attached a Hannigan sidecar to my LT and love it. Not as much fun on the twisties but not having to worry about inclines, slippery conditions, gravel and all other perils of the road--it was worth it.
I can imagine the panic you must have felt--glad to hear you are ok.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in