Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego, Ca, usa
Re: Wet Radio Electrics ????
Had my LT in the rain out here in SoCal at work during the day and found the radio on when I cam out, key turned off. I drove it home and could not turn the radio off until I rotated the key through all of its positions, didn't think anything of it, put a fan on it for good measure. Next day on the way to work, the radio would come on and off full volume at random. Found I had to disconnect the battery lead for the day, been doing this for a couple weeks now, othewise my battery will go dead after a weekend left on. I just took the whole thing apart and found corrosion on on the circuit board below the push buttons due to an invisible crack (when looking from the outside) in the power button rubber. I tested it with the bike apart while monitoring the current draw, found I had 30 ma without the battery, and 200 ma with the radio connected but not on, with the radio on I had 500 ma. I got the push button board to work fine, however then my radio simply turned on while in the off mode. I disconnected the radio push button board, still stayed on. I opened the radio to see if there was any corrosion there and found none.
I am thinking about taking the key apart next since I am down this far. Any ideas, this is baffling me so far.