Adjusting valves - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 7:38 am Thread Starter

Adjusting valves

As I prepare for "going in", will I need to replace the valve cover gasket or do I just RTV it back in place?

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 7:44 am

Re: Adjusting valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevano
As I prepare for "going in", will I need to replace the valve cover gasket or do I just RTV it back in place?
Prolly get mixed responses, Joe - butt I've 'always' replaced the gasket. I know some folks just carefully pick out the old RTV and inspect the gasket visually and then re-use it. May be worth a gamble and a way to save a leetle money (cuz the darn thangs aren't inexpensive!) - I just would hate to have to re-do the job from start to finish cuz of a small nick or weeping place. I do think that most other gasket-ed flanges/joints around any engine call for gasket replacement if the original has to be handled at all. At least, all the invoices I've received for various cage-gasket work has indicated a replacement gasket. YMMV. Good luck.
post #3 of 13 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 8:12 am Thread Starter

Thanks Dick, that's what I thought! You're a wealth of knowledge!

By the way, I was reading your post about painting Toad's chin. I need to do the same and my forks as well. How did your paintjob weather the rock chips?

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW

post #4 of 13 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 8:21 am

Quote:
Thanks Dick, that's what I thought! You're a wealth of knowledge!

By the way, I was reading your post about painting Toad's chin. I need to do the same and my forks as well. How did your paintjob weather the rock chips?
So far, Joe, it's just fine. I did throw on a coat or two of clear-coat, which might prolong the inevitabe, butt the chin as well as the leading edges of the side pieces are doing just fine.

Well, 'cept for that small incident I had a coupla weeks ago. Ole Toad got lazy coming out of Rhinewest in San Antonio, and laid down on the right side after high-centering a bump in the alley. Took a leetle scrub-gash at the edge of the flared piece just below the vent. Not bad, butt exposed the black material the piece is made of. I've buffed it smooth and ready to spot paint with a blast or two from the rattle can. We'll see how well I can feather-match the finish!!

BTW - if you need a can or two of the Krylon stuff I used, just send me your snail mail addy and a coupla bucks for shipping and I'll send you some. I bought too much and it's just going to waste over in the corner of -Cheryl's- garage!!!
post #5 of 13 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 9:09 am

Quote:
here comes about 400 different opinions <g>

i always replace it and the rubber grommets, never had aleak so I'll keep doing it on everything I ever own

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #6 of 13 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 9:19 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
So far, Joe, it's just fine. I did throw on a coat or two of clear-coat, which might prolong the inevitabe, butt the chin as well as the leading edges of the side pieces are doing just fine.

Well, 'cept for that small incident I had a coupla weeks ago. Ole Toad got lazy coming out of Rhinewest in San Antonio, and laid down on the right side after high-centering a bump in the alley. Took a leetle scrub-gash at the edge of the flared piece just below the vent. Not bad, butt exposed the black material the piece is made of. I've buffed it smooth and ready to spot paint with a blast or two from the rattle can. We'll see how well I can feather-match the finish!!

BTW - if you need a can or two of the Krylon stuff I used, just send me your snail mail addy and a coupla bucks for shipping and I'll send you some. I bought too much and it's just going to waste over in the corner of -Cheryl's- garage!!!
Cheryl's garage? Don't you and Toad have your own " man space "?

Thanks for the offer, I just ordered some Wurth paint for mine.

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW
post #7 of 13 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 9:21 am

Seems like that gasket is $30-$40? I have one, but when I saw how well it is made and how apparently fresh it still is, no nicks or cuts, the "economist" in me would not let me toss it. Just make sure to dab the RTV in the two half-moons, as well as ensuring the machined surface of the head and old gasket is sanitary.

Rodney

2000 Canyon Red LT [I]
2005 Sportster XLCH 1200C
2006 Mongoose XR250
Make sure your Life Assurance is prayed up. Don't leave home without it.
post #8 of 13 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 9:49 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyinmaypearltx
Seems like that gasket is $30-$40? I have one, but when I saw how well it is made and how apparently fresh it still is, no nicks or cuts, the "economist" in me would not let me toss it. Just make sure to dab the RTV in the two half-moons, as well as ensuring the machined surface of the head and old gasket is sanitary.
Try $56.00!

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW
post #9 of 13 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:22 am

I resused valve cover gaskets about 4 times before replacing. As long as it is still very pliable, and no one used more than just very small dabs of sealant at the corners of the half moons and on the small cracks where the timing cover meets the head it is fine.

Never had a leak of the valve cover in over 120,000 miles.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 13 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:37 am
Lifetime Supporter

I reuse mine even though I have at least 1 new one hanging in the garage.
A mechanic told me to coat both sides of the gasket with wheel bearing grease before installing. Seems to work well.

dan
post #11 of 13 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 11:42 am

When I first decided to do my own major service and check my valves, like a good boy, I went to my BMW dealer and requested all the needed parts (except valve shims of course).

The parts guy asked, "Why do you want a new gasket?" I replied that is what was recommended. He said it was a waste of money. I bought one anyway.

Now, I rotate their usage, but neither one shows any cracks or wear.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 13 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 11:56 am

Quote:
Cheryl's garage? Don't you and Toad have your own " man space "?

Thanks for the offer, I just ordered some Wurth paint for mine.
Well, we do, Joe --- butt every now and then, the rent goes up and 'our space' gitz reduced - I think it must be tied to the economy!!!!!!
post #13 of 13 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 1:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
A mechanic told me to coat both sides of the gasket with wheel bearing grease before installing. Seems to work well.

dan
a trick to holding it in place, does nothing to keep it sealed

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in