Would that be the beginning of an FD failure? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 8:29 pm Thread Starter

Would that be the beginning of an FD failure?

For some time now and for about 1500 miles I have been noticing some noise from my LT while riding over 35mph like if a bearing was going south. Initially it was only when the bike was leaning left or right. I checked both front and rear wheel and found no play so I thought it was the tires. Then I started hearing a slight grinding noise when riding straight too. The noise is still louder when leaning the bike. I checked the rear wheel again but again found no play nor leak. I contacted the local BMW dealer and they checked the rear wheel on their parking site and said that there was nothing wrong with the bike. They did not test rode it though. They suggested that I was hearing the rear break floating. If it was the rear brake I would think that the noise would stop or change when applying the brake which is not the case. This afternoon I decided to check the FD oil. I drained the oil and found some small pieces of metal at the bottom of my drain pan (see pic). I do not think this to be normal for an oil that was changed changed by the dealer about 3000 miles ago during the 24k service. What do you guys think? Is this the sign of a FD failure?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fdoil.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	20246  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 8:37 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Would that be the beginning of an FD failure?

Way too much glitter there. Something is toast. I change my FD EVERY 3000 and it is still as new in color. With the glitter and color of that oil, something gota be cooking.

Oh, that was a clean container right?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #3 of 63 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 8:48 pm

Screwed, glued and tattooed.

Gray "slurry" is cool, flakes that size are no joy. Sorry to be the grim reaper but I've seen enough of them...

Whoops, my bad! Wrong Icon, this is more appropriate:

Hey, it's a machine. Toss a new one in there with a 2 year BMW parts warranty and don't worry, be happy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bobby.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	2.4 KB
ID:	20247  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Oct 22nd, 2008 at 8:53 pm.

post #4 of 63 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 8:58 pm

I agree it's toast. Congratulations on being a 4 percenter!
post #5 of 63 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 9:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I change my 02 every 6,000 miles and the fluid always looks new with just a little metallic slime on the magnetic plug. After 36,000 miles it's still the same. No flakes yet..

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 63 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 9:04 pm Thread Starter

What is the cost involved in this getting the FD fixed?
post #7 of 63 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 9:11 pm Thread Starter

I am thinking of may be doing this myself. How complex is it to replace the final drive? Is there a DIY somewhere?
post #8 of 63 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:23 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

What year is your LT? Still in warranty, or not? If you have a good relationship with your dealer, I'd probably push them to cover the repair even if you're out of warranty on time. They may cover the whole repair, or maybe just the part and you pay for labor. You'll never know unless you try.

The cost of the full FD unit for an '02 LT is just about $1,000. Some guys have swapped just the internal bearings and seals, which runs several hundred dollars just in parts. The problem is, once you see those metal flakes you don't really know if anything else in there has gotten damaged. Plus, the procedure for properly shimming everything back up is quite tricky, and there's no guarantee that the rebuilt drive will be any more solid than the old one.

You can get factory BMW parts for 20% off from Chicago BMW, if you can afford the long wait time. Another option is to contact Hannigan or Lehman or one of the other trike builders, as they usually have low-mileage take-off parts available at reasonable prices. Just be aware that the actual FD units do vary between years. I believe '99-'01 are the same, then '02-'04, then '05 and up. The main differences are in the ABS sensor mount and the gear ratios.

If you have to pay for the repair out of pocket, then the FD can be changed out by a competent home mechanic using a couple of special tools. There are instructions on this site for drilling a weep hole near the clutch slave cylinder. That procedure included removing/replacing the FD unit. It's probably also a good idea to drill the weep hole and maybe swap out the slave cylinder as well while you're in there, as that can save you from yet another costly repair down the road.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 63 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:50 pm Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the information. My LT is a 99 model with less than 27k on it. Bought it in June with 22k so no chance of a good will type of thing on a 9 years old bike.
post #10 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 5:42 am

Doesn't look good to me. The metal piece I circled is reminiscent of pieces I have seen where the crownwheel bearing has failed. I recommend opening the drive to take a look inside.

Here's a video which maybe of help.

http://www.bmwlt.com/uploads/lt_final_drive_rebuild.wmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpac
For some time now and for about 1500 miles I have been noticing some noise from my LT while riding over 35mph like if a bearing was going south. Initially it was only when the bike was leaning left or right. I checked both front and rear wheel and found no play so I thought it was the tires. Then I started hearing a slight grinding noise when riding straight too. The noise is still louder when leaning the bike. I checked the rear wheel again but again found no play nor leak. I contacted the local BMW dealer and they checked the rear wheel on their parking site and said that there was nothing wrong with the bike. They did not test rode it though. They suggested that I was hearing the rear break floating. If it was the rear brake I would think that the noise would stop or change when applying the brake which is not the case. This afternoon I decided to check the FD oil. I drained the oil and found some small pieces of metal at the bottom of my drain pan (see pic). I do not think this to be normal for an oil that was changed changed by the dealer about 3000 miles ago during the 24k service. What do you guys think? Is this the sign of a FD failure?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fdoilmod.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	857.3 KB
ID:	20250  
post #11 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 6:15 am

The glitter looks like a problem.

The noise you hear during cornering could be unrelated. Motorcycle tires growl when cornering, especially if the tires are about half-way through their life cycle.

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #12 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 6:38 am
Lifetime Supporter

You're lucky. You caught it at home instead of in British Columbia!! Now you can fix it and go riding again. Good luck with whatever you decide. I'll bet you can hear it growl if you spin the wheel on the sidestand. By the time you can wiggle the wheel, a blind man standing on the side of the road could tell you something was wrong..................

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #13 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 6:48 am

Great video description. Thank you.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #14 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 7:01 am

I'm sorry to hear it and welcome to the club. It's true that it's good you caught it at home. If you decide to do this yourself and could use an extra pair of hands, let me know.
post #15 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 7:35 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrider
I'm sorry to hear it and welcome to the club. It's true that it's good you caught it at home. If you decide to do this yourself and could use an extra pair of hands, let me know.
Thanks a lot for the offer. Will keep you updated
post #16 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 7:39 am

Is it my computer, or are all the flakes of metal on top of the oil?

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
My dog is very selective where he will pee, yet he will poop anywhere. In that regard; we couldnít be more different.
post #17 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 7:56 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallsCasten
The oil is at the bottom of the picture. Way more flakes than I ever want to see.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #18 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 8:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallsCasten
Not your computer, Doug. I think you're still sleepy-eyed this morning!!

The oil catcher he's holding is tilted so that the oil runs down away from the glitter (oil is the dark patch below). Prolly been tilted for a bit in order to reveal the glitter and shiney catch basin bottom.
post #19 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 8:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler50
You're lucky. You caught it at home instead of in British Columbia!! Now you can fix it and go riding again. Good luck with whatever you decide. I'll bet you can hear it growl if you spin the wheel on the sidestand. By the time you can wiggle the wheel, a blind man standing on the side of the road could tell you something was wrong..................
Howdy James - I know you could sure hear 'me' growl, instead of the wheel, if I tried to spin the wheel on the 'sidestand'!!!
post #20 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 8:12 am

I recently found metal flakes on the magnet. I removed the FD and had it rebuilt at the dealer. They said it was near total failure. I have the bearing on my desk. It is rough and there are pits on the inside were the metal was coming. There was no play or noise coming from the FD. Cost $399 to repair. Thatís better than $1200 for a new drive and being stuck on the road.

I would get it checked out.
post #21 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 8:14 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Doesn't look good to me. The metal piece I circled is reminiscent of pieces I have seen where the crownwheel bearing has failed. I recommend opening the drive to take a look inside.

Here's a video which maybe of help.

http://www.bmwlt.com/uploads/lt_final_drive_rebuild.wmv
Thanks a lot for the video but for some reason i cannot play it. I did download the latest codecs for my player but still no chance.
post #22 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 8:47 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Not your computer, Doug. I think you're still sleepy-eyed this morning!!

The oil catcher he's holding is tilted so that the oil runs down away from the glitter (oil is the dark patch below). Prolly been tilted for a bit in order to reveal the glitter and shiney catch basin bottom.
Exactly
post #23 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 8:49 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the video but for some reason i cannot play it. I did download the latest codecs for my player but still no chance.
finally got it THANKS
post #24 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:02 am Thread Starter

This morning I emailed the pic to Jon the service manager at the local BMW dealer. He quoted me around $500 to replace the rear bearing and seal. For that price I am going to have them do it.
post #25 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:44 am

Quote:
This morning I emailed the pic to Jon the service manager at the local BMW dealer. He quoted me around $500 to replace the rear bearing and seal. For that price I am going to have them do it.
It's your nickle, but as Ken pointed out for $800.00 from Chicago BMW you can get a completely new, factory assembled unit with a 2 year warranty.... Rebuilt units don't seem to last very long unless the technician is an expert at it and has several under his belt.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #26 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 11:38 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
It's your nickle, but as Ken pointed out for $800.00 from Chicago BMW you can get a completely new, factory assembled unit with a 2 year warranty.... Rebuilt units don't seem to last very long unless the technician is an expert at it and has several under his belt.
I'd forgotten about the 2 year warranty on new parts. That in itself is probably worth an extra few hundred dollars.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #27 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 11:49 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I'd forgotten about the 2 year warranty on new parts. That in itself is probably worth an extra few hundred dollars.
I hear you but it sounds like getting the part from BMW Chicago can take some time while I can get my bike fixed in 2 weeks.
post #28 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 12:56 pm

Quote:
I hear you but it sounds like getting the part from BMW Chicago can take some time while I can get my bike fixed in 2 weeks.
They run hot and cold - I've ordered lots of stuff from them over the years and they've always delivered within a week. I know a lot of other guys have been very unhappy.

It there is a new final drive for your year in the country they should be able to get it to you quickly. I would ask them straight up when you'll have it in your hands.

I think the rebuilds are fine if you have a guy like Charlie doing it - taking his time and being meticulous. I think you'll find zero BMW techs that would put that much care into it. Measuring the shim preload is absolutely critical not to mention a VERY careful inspection of all the other wear points. I'll guarantee you that most just throw the old shims back in without a second thought.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #29 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 1:07 pm Thread Starter

How do I get the 20% of from them? Is this the one?
http://www.chicagobmwmotorcycle.com/store/

Last edited by Alpac; Oct 23rd, 2008 at 1:19 pm.
post #30 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 2:17 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Quote:
Just ask. They give 20% off genuine BMW parts, and accessories.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #31 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 4:14 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Yep, that's the site.

You can enter the part number directly to see the retail price and the 20% discount. You can find part numbers in any of the online parts catalogs, such as the ones at Max BMW, RealOEM, A&S BMW, Hammersley BMW, etc.

Checking the parts catalogs give the rear drive assy for a '99 LT as 33 11 2 333 164. Plugging that into Chicago BMW gives a retail price of $996.00, and 20% off is $796.80.

You can also call them directly to make sure you get the right part number, and to ask them directly if the part is in the USA warehouse (and thus it's just normal shipping delays) or if they have to order from Germany (thus adding international shipping delays).

Again, this path presumes that you have the skills to change out the drive yourself, or at least have friends close by who can help you do the job. Wish I was closer, as I've done a few of these over the years.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #32 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 6:39 pm Thread Starter

THANKS! I call them tomorrow. This board rocks
post #33 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 6:43 pm Thread Starter

Can I assume they have now learnt how to preload bearings at the factory so the chance for an FD failure on a brand new FD is much less than it used to be?
post #34 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 6:48 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Quote:
Can I assume they have now learnt how to preload bearings at the factory so the chance for an FD failure on a brand new FD is much less than it used to be?
I am going with we hope

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #35 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 8:04 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglove
I am going with we hope
I think that really, that is the best any of us can hope for.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #36 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 9:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I suspect very strongly that "they" know how, and it is a matter of getting it done right on the production/assembly floor!

As others said......we can only hope.....

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #37 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:04 pm

Thumbs up Re: Would that be the beginning of an FD failure?

Quote:
Yep, that's the site.

You can enter the part number directly to see the retail price and the 20% discount. You can find part numbers in any of the online parts catalogs, such as the ones at Max BMW, RealOEM, A&S BMW, Hammersley BMW, etc.

Checking the parts catalogs give the rear drive assy for a '99 LT as 33 11 2 333 164. Plugging that into Chicago BMW gives a retail price of $996.00, and 20% off is $796.80.

You can also call them directly to make sure you get the right part number, and to ask them directly if the part is in the USA warehouse (and thus it's just normal shipping delays) or if they have to order from Germany (thus adding international shipping delays).

Again, this path presumes that you have the skills to change out the drive yourself, or at least have friends close by who can help you do the job. Wish I was closer, as I've done a few of these over the years.
Very nice of you to take extra time to help him out.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #38 of 63 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:44 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Very nice of you to take extra time to help him out.
Just paying back for all that this community has done for me over the years. We were all newbies once upon a time.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #39 of 63 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 6:57 am
Lifetime Supporter

.......You got me, Dick. I didn't see that..........Did anyone ever think that an early failure after rebuild might be due to some chips left in the housing? Maybe hiding up around the input shaft? We see this in transmissions sometimes because of all the little cracks and hiding places for metal shavings that can't always be reached by washing machines and air blowers. Just a thought. My bearing went over 1,000 miles after it started going bad......

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #40 of 63 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 11:26 am Thread Starter

I called Chicago BMW and the price they gave me after 20% discount is $1200! They said their On Line catalog's prices are not up to date. They said that they do not have any in stock and that it would take 2 to 3 weeks to get one.
I think I am going to for the bearing replacement instead of a new FD or may be a used FD with low mileage if I find one which would then enable me to rebuild the current one and keep it as a spare.
I will keep you posted
Many thanks for all your help
Alain
post #41 of 63 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 12:15 pm

Exclamation Re: Would that be the beginning of an FD failure?

FYI. There is a "better" bearing available that has a machined brass or bronze (can't remember which) retainer instead of the stamped and riveted one on the stock bearing Itís from MRC. When my FD takes a dump I will rebuild it using this bearing.

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #42 of 63 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 12:36 pm

Do you have a part number for this "better" bearing?

Thanks,
post #43 of 63 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 5:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead354
Do you have a part number for this "better" bearing?

Thanks,
I'm not so sure that you could qualify another manufacturer's bearing as better. SKF and FAG brands are among the absolute best in the world.

The load rating on a 6917 bearing is over 5,000 pounds. In this application the overkill is absolutely staggering.

I have never believed - and never will - that this has ANYTHING to do with the bearing itself... my first LT's rear drive lasted over 120K miles, and there are some that have gone even farther.

All of the hard evidence so far has pointed to poor assembly causing brinell dents. Probably by Hans tapping on the bearing race to seat it or using excessive pressure in a press - hard to tell without knowing the actual assembly technique at the factory.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Oct 24th, 2008 at 5:44 pm.
post #44 of 63 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 10:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I'm not so sure that you could qualify another manufacturer's bearing as better. SKF and FAG brands are among the absolute best in the world.

The load rating on a 6917 bearing is over 5,000 pounds. In this application the overkill is absolutely staggering.

I have never believed - and never will - that this has ANYTHING to do with the bearing itself... my first LT's rear drive lasted over 120K miles, and there are some that have gone even farther.

All of the hard evidence so far has pointed to poor assembly causing brinell dents. Probably by Hans tapping on the bearing race to seat it or using excessive pressure in a press - hard to tell without knowing the actual assembly technique at the factory.
Just two comments:

1. That is radial load rating you are quoting! Ball bearing of that size can take a good amount of radial load, but only limited amount of axial load, and that's why there is a tapered roller bearing at the end of the drive shaft! This acts as a thrust bearing to take up the main axial load as well to provide support of the drive shaft on the other side of the crown gear.

2. That denting of the balls are a sure sign that the bearing had failed due to excess axial load, which loads the balls against the side of the races. Most likely because, as others had pointed out, there is improper amount of pre-load (incorrect shimming) to load up the taper roller bearing. Once the balls have "flat" spots, they starts to skid rather than roll, and that's when nasty things happen!

So, I do agree with you regarding improper assembly at the factory, but for different reasons. Improper rebuild of the final drive will also cause problems.

PS: All of the bearing companies that you named, plus Fafnir, are good companies. I have used them all in my designs.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #45 of 63 Old Oct 25th, 2008, 12:27 am

If that's the Co basic dynamic load rating of the 6917 bearing (the 5000+ lbs radial load), it means that that 10% will fail in 500 hrs at 33 rpm (i. e. 1 million revolutions) as I recall. That is a theoretical load rating based on the bearing dimensions. There are additional factors that reduce that rating considerably for applied thrust loads, speed, lubrication etc.

The life we should probably be expecting would be more like a couple percent failure in 50 million revolutions - for our loading - whatever that is.

In addition to the assembly variances, we have been putting faith in the factories original preload recommendations. In so doing we falsely assume that the original engineers knew what they were doing. This is a weirdly applied bearing set (a deep groove ball bearing being preloaded with a tapered roller bearing for a mostly radial load application). It has a complex loading situation and a complex spectrum, in a minimal sized gearcase. I've never seen anything at all like it.

Nobody knew what they were doing in creating a design like this. Maybe the prototype (if there was one) happened to meet their test objectives. Life tests with a small sample are not repeatable, and engineers are not infallible. I can say that because I am one - and I've had a lot of bearing experience. This design is very marginal at best, but since some seem to last considerably longer than others, there just might be a partial solution out there, but it will have to come from field experience

In the mean time we all have to find a way to reduce the pain of a failure.
post #46 of 63 Old Oct 25th, 2008, 8:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel_petersen
If that's the Co basic dynamic load rating of the 6917 bearing (the 5000+ lbs radial load), it means that that 10% will fail in 500 hrs at 33 rpm (i. e. 1 million revolutions) as I recall. That is a theoretical load rating based on the bearing dimensions. There are additional factors that reduce that rating considerably for applied thrust loads, speed, lubrication etc.

The life we should probably be expecting would be more like a couple percent failure in 50 million revolutions - for our loading - whatever that is.

In addition to the assembly variances, we have been putting faith in the factories original preload recommendations. In so doing we falsely assume that the original engineers knew what they were doing. This is a weirdly applied bearing set (a deep groove ball bearing being preloaded with a tapered roller bearing for a mostly radial load application). It has a complex loading situation and a complex spectrum, in a minimal sized gearcase. I've never seen anything at all like it.

Nobody knew what they were doing in creating a design like this. Maybe the prototype (if there was one) happened to meet their test objectives. Life tests with a small sample are not repeatable, and engineers are not infallible. I can say that because I am one - and I've had a lot of bearing experience. This design is very marginal at best, but since some seem to last considerably longer than others, there just might be a partial solution out there, but it will have to come from field experience

In the mean time we all have to find a way to reduce the pain of a failure.
How would you design the bearings for an FD like this? Two large tapered bearings? For many years cars used opposed tapered bearings on the non-driven wheels and these bearings were not all that large yet supported one corner of some pretty heavy cars for many thousands of miles. I suspect the front wheels on the 1970 Plymouth Fury III that I once owned had at least 1,000 lbs on each of them, yet the front wheel bearings never failed in well over 100,000 miles of service. I did repack them every 30K miles or so, but that is less frequent maintenance than the BMW final drive specifies.

I suspect the issue with the BMW FD is the side thrust from the bevel drive. I'm not an ME (EE and CE), but I would imagine that under high torque the bevel drive will place substantial asymmetric axial force on ring gear. Is possibly a reason to favor the ball bearing over a tapered bearing? I don't know if this side force is any worse than the side force on the front wheel of an auto during a sharp turn though...

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #47 of 63 Old Oct 25th, 2008, 11:57 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
How would you design the bearings for an FD like this? Two large tapered bearings? For many years cars used opposed tapered bearings on the non-driven wheels and these bearings were not all that large yet supported one corner of some pretty heavy cars for many thousands of miles. I suspect the front wheels on the 1970 Plymouth Fury III that I once owned had at least 1,000 lbs on each of them, yet the front wheel bearings never failed in well over 100,000 miles of service. I did repack them every 30K miles or so, but that is less frequent maintenance than the BMW final drive specifies.

I suspect the issue with the BMW FD is the side thrust from the bevel drive. I'm not an ME (EE and CE), but I would imagine that under high torque the bevel drive will place substantial asymmetric axial force on ring gear. Is possibly a reason to favor the ball bearing over a tapered bearing? I don't know if this side force is any worse than the side force on the front wheel of an auto during a sharp turn though...
Good question about how one would design such drive! I was going to ask Niel the same thing.

My experience with final drives had been those for much different functions than these light-duty drives - namely for battle tanks (built them, from M1A1 through to Bradley FVS), and it seem to me that the BMW drive that I saw is nice and simple. It is obvious to me that the problems of the drive failures are quality related, most likely with improper assembly of the drives. If it was design related failure, you would have a much higher failure rates.

The taper roller bearing is to take the axial load for when you ride the bike and lean it over! The load (which comes to the drive axle from the rear wheel) is virtually radial on the main bearing, when the bike is upright. OK, there is a small cantilever from the bearing support point to the rear wheel, but the axial component of this moment will be fairly small. When you take corners and lean the bike over, the weight component on the rear wheel will be translated into axial load and that will increase the further that you lean.

The bevel gear will tend to push against the crown gear, which will have a force component to push the drive shaft away from the taper roller bearing, and that increases the importance of having the correct pre-load on the taper roller bearing!

I have to give the German engineer the benefits of the doubt that they have done a proper job of designing. After all, back when I got my first degree in engineering, they were considered the best mechanical engineers around! As a matter of fact, back then, part of the pre-requisite to taking a degree in ME is to take a language course in German so as to be able to read some of the better textx in ME at the time. I have to quickly note that it was a long time ago, and in another country.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #48 of 63 Old Oct 25th, 2008, 1:01 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
I called Chicago BMW and the price they gave me after 20% discount is $1200!
I know that everything imported from Europe is going up in price, but that really sucks.

I'd probably still hit up the trike manufacturers and see if someone has a complete drive on hand. That's probably harder since you can only use a drive from a '99-'01 bike, but it's worth doing the research.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #49 of 63 Old Oct 25th, 2008, 2:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I know that everything imported from Europe is going up in price, but that really sucks.

I'd probably still hit up the trike manufacturers and see if someone has a complete drive on hand. That's probably harder since you can only use a drive from a '99-'01 bike, but it's worth doing the research.
I think I saw a '99 drive for sales on sBay the other day.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #50 of 63 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 3:55 pm

The loading of the crown bearing is almost entirely radial + an overturning moment about a vertical axis due to the pressure angle of the drive gears, plus an axial loading due to the preload from the tapered roller bearing. There is no moment about a longitudinal axis due to M/C banking, as that component is pretty much balanced out by the lateral acceleration forces applied to the tire patch.

If I was the FD engineer at BMW with management breathing down my neck, I'd first demand that a source of spare FDs and bearings be made available in North America on an expedited 7 day/wk basis. Who pays for them is something else, but at least make them as available as possible. The FD failure scene is just too darn messy.

Then I'd gather all the info I could from failed units returned from the field. Service history vs location, vs lubrication, vs measured dimensions of the shaft diameter, the original shipping method, & type of failure. I would also try to get a few high mileage units that were still operating OK & carefully measure the remaining preload.

From the above I'd review the preload specs and measuring method. I'd consider adding an additional tramp metal contamination trap - maybe using rare earth magnet(s) more in the free stream of the lubrication channels.

I might even consider doing an accelerated actual multiaxial crown bearing durability test stand using one sample bearing to load another sample (i. e. get two bearings under test). I'd go for maybe a 25 percent overload & see if I could get a life of 25 million revolutions which I could do in a couple of weeks on a simple test stand.

Where it would go from there I don't know, but the solution at that point would have to be tantalizingly close as apparently not all high mileage units are presently failing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in