Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Woodlands, Texas, USA
Re: Mirror Clips Broken - repair suggestion
I had similar issues with my 02 and while upgrading to the Murth mirrors here is what I did. The pictures attached go along with the repair and should be help understand what I did.
Broken Mirror Holder Repair Instructions
1) Disassemble the mirror assembly
2) Clean the ABS plastic around the broken holder area with soap and water and denatured alcohol.
3) Glue the broken piece together using Liquid Nailstm Perfect Glue 2 (for ABS plastic) and let cure for 12 hours.
4) Manufacture 1/16-in thick aluminum backing plates for mirror holder – drill holes in corners of plates, use a #36 drill bit or 7/64-in bit
5) Roughen both aluminum plate and ABS plastic with sand paper, clean mating surfaces of all grease, finger prints, etc.
6) Glue backing plates onto flat area of the back of the mirror holder (use Perfect Glue 2), let cure for 12 hours. Use alligator type vise grip to hold plate in position
7) Carefully drill a hole through the ABS plastic under the backing plate using the predrilled holes in the plates as guides. Use a #36 drill bit or 7/64-in bit and a Dremel
8) Tap each hole in plate and ABS plastic simultaneously with a 6-32 nc machine screw tap.Suggest taping the first hole and immediately installing a 6-32 nc x 3/8-in stainless machine screw and move the alligator vise grip so that a second hole can be tapped. Be careful not to over-torque the machine screw to strip the new threads.
9) Remove the vise grip and tap the remaining holes and install the remaining 6-32 nc x 3/8-in stainless machine screws.
10) Reinstall the spring retainer clip and reassemble the mirror.
11) Coat the attachment areas with lithium grease and replace the mirror on the bike.
Dave Skodack (Skozar)