Hand Grips - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 11:12 am Thread Starter

Hand Grips

The hand grips on my LT have been worn down so that they have a hole in the throttle side. I checked with BMW to find out about replacements, but they only sell them as part of an assembly with the heaters also. Since this is both expensive and unnecessary, since the heaters are still fine, I was looking for alternatives. I spoke with one gentleman earlier at a rally, and he suggested using some grips from a Gold Wing, but I have not found any that will work. Does anybody know of some that will work for this application? He also told me to get the old ones off to pull back slowly and cut them once an area had been pulled away, careful not to cut any of the heating element. He also suggested using some type of lubricant to put the new ones back on, but I can't remember what he suggested. I know it wasn't soap, as that would not dry and the grips would slip. Anybody done this before and have some recommendations? I would think the grips could not be too thick, as good heat transfer is needed.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 11:20 am

Re: Hand Grips

I could not get the thread to copy, but do a quick search for "grip puppies". They cost about $8 and work great. If you are not satisfied, you are only out $8. I like mine and they are more comfortable that the original grips.
post #3 of 32 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 11:31 am

Ditto on the grip puppies website for them . I bought them this summer before my 2500 mi trip and it made a HUGE difference. I have carpal in my right arm and had problems before. Took it away about 80%. Installed them the night before with soap and never regretted a second. The heater comes through great too. Paid $13 including shipping.

Syd
Dallas, Texas
'05 K1200LT Graphite ( Big E's former ride )

post #4 of 32 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 1:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydvicioustx
Ditto on the grip puppies website for them . I bought them this summer before my 2500 mi trip and it made a HUGE difference. I have carpal in my right arm and had problems before. Took it away about 80%. Installed them the night before with soap and never regretted a second. The heater comes through great too. Paid $13 including shipping.
But you had to take the old grips off first, right? Was that difficult?

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 32 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 1:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
But you had to take the old grips off first, right? Was that difficult?
Nope, Grip Puppies slip over the existing grip. Luv em. I used the air compressor method.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #6 of 32 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 1:45 pm

No offense, but, I tried the grip puppies and did not like them. They are to fat. The only other option is to buy the RT grips. I have place these on several bikes because I like the BMW grips the best. The end of the grip is open though. Just my opinion!
post #7 of 32 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 2:06 pm

I put Kuryakyn ISO grips on my LT in 2002. Took a bit of work, but really liked them. They are just about the same as the ones for the Wing.

Here is a later post by someone else who did it with a little less work. In the thread there are links to my original posts, so you can decide if you want to try them.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29394

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 32 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 3:34 pm

I'm 6'0 and big frame and my hands fit on the grips well...after a couple months they get mushed down a little.....I didn't even have to use air to install them....lubed them up with dish soap and 20 mins for both of them.

Syd
Dallas, Texas
'05 K1200LT Graphite ( Big E's former ride )
post #9 of 32 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 4:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
Nope, Grip Puppies slip over the existing grip. Luv em. I used the air compressor method.

Jer
HAHA...slip

x17 for the grip puppies. I used a spray bottle with dish soap and water mix and some brute strength and ignorance. 5 min and they were on. Let them dry out well!
Ken

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

post #10 of 32 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 8:40 pm

Grip puppies!!! If they're too fat then try the Kuryakin...but they only make the grips reasonable for me. My hands used to cramp uip with stock gripes, and my hands aren't that big

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #11 of 32 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 8:41 am Thread Starter

What's the air compressor method of putting these on?

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
post #12 of 32 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 2:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyn1
What's the air compressor method of putting these on?
I used this method after reading: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ompressor+grip
With use of an air compressor they will slip/slide over the original grip.
The last 1/2 inch of Grip Puppy needed some creative thought as to how to get it slip/slide further. I had a rubber spark plug wire protector (see picture) that acted as a reducer from the Grip Puppy to the air nozzle.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #13 of 32 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 3:58 pm Thread Starter

I ordered some of the Grip Puppies from California Sport Touring. They were only $8.20 with free shipping so not a big deal if I decide I don't like them.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
post #14 of 32 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 6:01 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

There was another thread here a while back that suggested using the grips off a K1100. Apparently the rubber portion is the same, but you can buy just the grips themselves without the heater elements. I can't seem to find the original post or the part numbers though.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 32 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 6:14 pm

Smile Re: Hand Grips

just wondering what diameter grip did you order??
post #16 of 32 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 7:23 pm

This is the pair I ordered. From this website (as posted above):
http://www.casporttouring.com/store/...ory_Code=grips

GRIP PUPPIES ™ - Large. (1 Pair) Click for Sizing Info. Pick First Class Mail for Free Shipping. Quantity in Basket: None
Code: GPLARGE
Price: $8.20
Shipping Weight: 0.18 pounds

LARGE Grip Puppies (1 Pair) - For bikes with 1" bars, which typically includes most Cruisers. These are covers that slip over your existing grips. THEY COME IN PAIRS! Great for adding a little thickness and cushioning to existing grips. Made of CE (CPE/EPDM) Foam which is U.V., ozone and oxidation resistant. CE Foam will not weaken or crack as a result of years of outdoor exposure. Wall thickness is approximately .15 inches, "A" dimension in picture is 5 inches.
Fit over grips that are 1.45 to 1.65 inches in diameter.
They work over grips with Symtec heaters.
FREE SHIPPING (applies ONLY to Grip Puppies, not to other items included in an order) within the US via USPS First Class Mail.

* INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS: You do not need an air compressor. Just apply soapy water to the inside of the Grip Puppies™ and slide them over your existing grips. Then enjoy the ride!

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
post #17 of 32 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 7:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognot
No offense, but, I tried the grip puppies and did not like them. They are to fat. The only other option is to buy the RT grips. I have place these on several bikes because I like the BMW grips the best. The end of the grip is open though. Just my opinion!
Knocking the Grip Puppies??? That's even worse than talking smack about A****L. Heh eh. Just kidding.

+1 on the Grip Puppies - I love 'em!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #18 of 32 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 9:40 pm

Just use hairspray (liquid pump type) to put them on. Spray the grip then a little inside the pup then just slide them on and twist as you do, they go right on, dry quick and your back riding!

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #19 of 32 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 9:44 pm

You can use two LEFT rubber grips from the NON-HEATED assembly. They will slip on over the top of the heating elements after you remove the old grips. I believe they were around $13 each.

I cut my old ones off with a pair of diagonal wire cutters, nibbling at them a little at a time.

When I put the new ones on, I tried using the hairspray method that I found on a lot of posts but that did not work for me. Especially on the throttle side since my '02 has such a stiff twist. The grips kept slipping. I went to a local powersports dealer and bought a tube of grip glue - problem solved.

I was unable to find the part number for the left grip in my records, but I'm pretty sure I found it by searching this forum.
post #20 of 32 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 9:44 pm

I am on my second set of grip puppies. First pair were a gift that a fellow LT rider got me at a rally. I just ordered large and they were too big. I need to reorder and ask grip puppy what size to order.

Diehly

Poke it through, tuck and roll
post #21 of 32 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 5:43 am

Dan, I hope those work. All the previous posts say to order the small Grip Puppies.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #22 of 32 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 5:57 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Hand Grips Part Number

The part number for just the BMW grip without heat is 32722332619.

You need 2 of these. They were $17 each from the local dealer last year when I replaced mine. These are about 1/8" shorter than the original heated grips. Not really noticeable. Some have stuck a large o'ring in the gap to close it.

Just carefully slit the old grip without touching the heating element, not even quite all the way through the grip, rip it off, hair spray and slide the new one on. Some mentioned the heating will cause the grip to loosen without stronger adhesive, but I have not experienced that problem. Mine have been on exactly 1 year.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #23 of 32 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:05 am

DON'T Trim The Puppies!

I have the grip puppies, Love them.

I trimmed about 1/4" off of them since they looked too long. Don't Do It!

They will conform to the taper of the standard grip and fit.

Mine still slip a little when I twist them (soap Long dried). May try some spray adhesive.

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #24 of 32 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 11:42 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
The part number for just the BMW grip without heat is 32722332619. You need 2 of these.
Thanks, I knew someone would have the info handy.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #25 of 32 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 12:12 pm Thread Starter

I just tried the Grip Puppies. I ordered the large, which turned out to be too large as they were slipping on the original grips. Also they are not tapered, as the original grips are, so I'll have to try a different option. Loose grips are a dangerous thing to have on your bike.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
post #26 of 32 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 1:11 pm

I ordered large Grip Puppies, just got them and they are really too big. Am returning them for a small size. No medium available, as far as I know. But otherwise they look fine.

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
post #27 of 32 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 10:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
The part number for just the BMW grip without heat is 32722332619.

You need 2 of these. They were $17 each from the local dealer last year when I replaced mine. These are about 1/8" shorter than the original heated grips. Not really noticeable. Some have stuck a large o'ring in the gap to close it.

Just carefully slit the old grip without touching the heating element, not even quite all the way through the grip, rip it off, hair spray and slide the new one on. Some mentioned the heating will cause the grip to loosen without stronger adhesive, but I have not experienced that problem. Mine have been on exactly 1 year.
My left hand grip finally cracked all the way around and separated. Had put the grip puppies on to cover over the crack, but it finally seperated underneath and the grip lengthened out about 1" beyond the end of the bar.

Ordered in the grip part number above and it did the trick. Was able to remove the old rubber from the heating element core (was only glued on at the upper end). Had fun getting the new one off the hard plastic core supplied with it, but by rolling back the open end and continually pushing on it, it came off. Wasn't glued to the core. Sprayed the existing core with hair spray and it slipped right on. Seems a little loose so far, but will wait for the hair spray to dry to see what I end up with. May have to roll back the upper end a little and place some adhesive there if it doesn't tighten up.

Kind of liked the grip puppies, so will put them back on over the new rubber grips. Maybe they will help prevent future damage to the new grips.

As usual this site comes thru with saving me some bucks.

Thanks Guys!

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #28 of 32 Old Aug 18th, 2009, 5:58 pm

My left hand grip is very very thin towards the front, so I will need to replace it. If I do one I will do two. I do not have heated grips so I called my two local BMW dealers and also check online with A&S. Boy! have they increased in price since last October. In one of the above post it was mentioned the cost around $17.00 each, now they are cheepest at $24.48 here at the Chandler store, $24.58 at the Snottsdale store and over $26.00 at A&S. That is a 45% increase in less than a year. Parts guy in Snottsdale said the difference was the price of the Euro to $. Well I guess you can use that as the reason to get more $ but I don't think we have had a 45% difference between the $ and the Euro in 10 months.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #29 of 32 Old Aug 18th, 2009, 8:02 pm

Yup, I noticed that too. I just bought the grip puppies and will install them soon. For $10 it's worth a shot - and I hate how my hand's always turn black after using the BMW grips, grip puppies should alleviate that.

02 LT
post #30 of 32 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 8:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully2028
I ordered large Grip Puppies, just got them and they are really too big. Am returning them for a small size. No medium available, as far as I know. But otherwise they look fine.
The small size is what I got. I "walked" them on with a screwdriver. It was easy. I didn't like the idea of using dish soap and the possible "slippage".

2002 K1200LTC
post #31 of 32 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 8:16 am
Lifetime Supporter

Heberts Cycle (My closest BMW dealer) in Baton Rouge, LA was going to replace mine with some aftermarket grips he had but I had already ordered the BMW replacement ones. You might check with them and see what they have. They looked almost exactly like whats on the bike now.
post #32 of 32 Old Aug 21st, 2009, 4:45 pm

Walmart sells "what-a-grip" in their sporting goods dept. Heavy duty condoms for tennis
racket handles. about $4.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in