Spiegler Recall - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 10:15 am Thread Starter

Exclamation Spiegler Recall

Spiegler is recalling some of the three-way manifolds, which are mounted on the right fork of the LT. This is the manifold that splits the brake line into two, in order to service the front brake calipers.

According to them, a supplier changed up the part manufacturer, without going through Spiegler for specifications/material approval. The bad manifolds are failing; this is not a part you want to have fail (unless you enjoy having no front brakes). They are now getting the correct part directly from the Swiss manufacturer.

Tallyho (of this site) and I ordered ours in mid-July, and installed the same day; his failed. Check this thread, to read what happened to Bob.

If you have replaced your OEM lines (on the front) within the last few months, I suggest you call Spiegler, with your invoice number in hand, so they can trace. If you did not buy directly from Spiegler, call your supplier.

Although failures appear to be a small percentage of the units recently shipped, it's obviously a major issue; Spiegler is sending me a replacement (mine has not failed), and DOT-4 fluid for the bleed. They are embarrassed, and stepping up to the plate. Still love my Spieglers; the performance improvement was incredible.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 10:22 am

Re: Spiegler Recall

Thanks for the post.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #3 of 22 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 11:18 am

I am getting ready to bleed and possibly change pads on my '05LT. Is spiegler the best option to replace the lines? At $234 a kit is there anyone else that is good quality but in this economy maybe less $$$?

What about the pads they sell? Any opinions?

Syd
Dallas, Texas
'05 K1200LT Graphite ( Big E's former ride )

post #4 of 22 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 4:43 pm

just spoke to these folk, are we have minimal cause to be concerned.

the batch of bad units in question wre ONLY those shipped between july and october of this year.

spiegler claims thay have proactively indentified all of the customer orders which were affected, and shipped replacements parts and fluids to all of the customers that recieved units from the suspect batch.

all those units wer shipped TODAY via 2nd day air - so if your unit had a bad junction, you'll be getting your replacement parts automagically on thursday. ;-)

good parts and good people. carry on.

g.

greg shamieh boof # 93 k-whiner # 83
jefferson, maryland

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 K1200LT --- "darkside"
75R90S -- "esssss"
73R75/5 -- "mojo"
post #5 of 22 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 6:17 pm

I order Spiegler's front & rear brakes lines on 7/28/08. Don't have a warm & fuzzy feeling about this recall. But I'll call & check with them tomorrow.
post #6 of 22 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 6:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chang-man
I order Spiegler's front & rear brakes lines on 7/28/08. Don't have a warm & fuzzy feeling about this recall. But I'll call & check with them tomorrow.
I would call them; that's what I had to do. They are replacing mine as a recall - but they did NOT call me.

They are good people though, and I am happy with their product.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #7 of 22 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 6:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmmm90s
just spoke to these folk, are we have minimal cause to be concerned.

the batch of bad units in question wre ONLY those shipped between july and october of this year.
Is there an echo in here, here, here? And who exactly is "we" anyway?

Anyone that purchased the kit in the last few months as stated in the original post has maximal cause for concern. I'm glad your kit works fine and you've had no issues with it. That makes one of us. I was about a half hour from potentially riding over a cliff with my wife on a challenging high alpine road in the Sierras. Of course, there's nothing like mountains in Maryland where a catastrophic brake failure means coasting to the side of some level turnpike. The purpose of this post is to raise the awareness and yes, the alarm of a very dangerous situation. Your "minimizing" dialog is a disservice to those involved and impacted.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #8 of 22 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 6:43 pm

so let us see if we all get our replacement parts on Thursday....
post #9 of 22 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 8:54 pm

I'll have to look at my invoice when I get home. BMW of Atlanta swapped mine out before CCR this year, I just don't remember when, but I do know they had to order the kit. If I find that it was during that time frame, I'll have them contact Spiegler for the part.

Thanks guys. And I'm we didn't lose Bob and Jeanie.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #10 of 22 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 10:00 pm

We have identified 3 manifolds which have failed (developed cracks). These 3-way manifolds were out of a batch which we received June 9th this year. Only kits purchased after this date could be affected. We tested several manifolds in house and could not get any of them to form cracks. Our assumption is that a material defect might have caused the failure of the 3 manifolds. All manifolds are billet aluminum and we never had any issues with these 3-way manifolds in the past. As a pre caution and also to eliminate any risk we are replacing all 3-way manifolds purchased after 06/09/08 with manifolds out of a new batch and different material.

We shipped today almost all 3-way manifolds including a 12 oz bottle Castrol brake fluid to our K1200LT customer. There are a few customers we could not get a shipping address by now since the kits were bought through dealerships, but we are working on this.
I am urging every K1200LT owner to replace the 3-way manifolds.
Please call us at 937-291-1735 and ask for me if you have any questions or concerns.

I am very sorry for all of this and glad that nobody got in a serious situation.
Yours truly
Matthias Schaub
Spiegler Performance Parts
post #11 of 22 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 5:50 am

Matthias,

I'm sure that everyone here is as glad as I am that you guys are stepping up and taking care of this problem. Things go wrong sometimes and when a company steps up and corrects the situation that is all we can hope for.

I just wish BMW was as proactive with their final drive problems.

Thanks,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #12 of 22 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 9:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyho
Is there an echo in here, here, here? And who exactly is "we" anyway?

Anyone that purchased the kit in the last few months as stated in the original post has maximal cause for concern. I'm glad your kit works fine and you've had no issues with it. That makes one of us. I was about a half hour from potentially riding over a cliff with my wife on a challenging high alpine road in the Sierras. Of course, there's nothing like mountains in Maryland where a catastrophic brake failure means coasting to the side of some level turnpike. The purpose of this post is to raise the awareness and yes, the alarm of a very dangerous situation. Your "minimizing" dialog is a disservice to those involved and impacted.
hey bob.

i hope you're much less off an asshat in real life than your post makes you appear.

as clearly as possible, i stated that spiegler had worked proactively to send replacements to ever person that they could confirm was affected. a fact that they confirmed two posts later.

riding motorcycles is dangerous. parts sometimes break. nowhere in my post did i claim that persons with this issue shouldn't replace a failed component - only that the number of persons affected was small and that the vendor had ALREADY done everything possible to make good.

and another thing. maryland does not look like a billiard table, despite your ignorant and feeble attempt at a slam. while i freely admit a difference in peak altitude ;-) - i have some of the best mountain riding in north america in four different ranges within 120 miles of my garage.

most people here are glad you didn't fall of the mountain. learn some manners and i'll even join them. ;-) 'till then, perhaps a little less caffeine might be in order. ;-)

have a nice day.

g.

greg shamieh boof # 93 k-whiner # 83
jefferson, maryland

2000 K1200LT --- "darkside"
75R90S -- "esssss"
73R75/5 -- "mojo"
post #13 of 22 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 9:08 am

Just in time!

I have all the lines done except the front master cylinder to manifold line. Just spoke to Spiegler & they said the manifold should be here tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up.

Rodney

2000 Canyon Red LT [I]
2005 Sportster XLCH 1200C
2006 Mongoose XR250
Make sure your Life Assurance is prayed up. Don't leave home without it.
post #14 of 22 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 7:56 pm

Called Spiegler today, mine will be replaced & it should be here tomorrow.
Great company they stand by there products.
post #15 of 22 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 5:14 pm

Spiegler came through today. They sent a new 3 way manifold & a 12oz
bottle of Dot 4 break fluids.

Great job Spiegler Performance Parts
post #16 of 22 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 8:03 pm

I wondered what the box was that just showed up today. Now I can open it without having to call.... Thanks for stepping up! I can honestly say I have not seen that kind of customer service in quite a long time. Now I know where I am going to order those new back pads from.
post #17 of 22 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 8:18 pm

Smile Re: Spiegler Recall

got mine today.
post #18 of 22 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 12:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Door bell rang tonight.
I found a box containing brake fluid and a new "T".
Shipped via UPS Blue.

Bob 00LT

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #19 of 22 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 5:33 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

That's the way it should be with ALL companies!!!! Way to go Spiegler. I put a line kit on in Feb with zero problems.

Stevie Shreeve
post #20 of 22 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 5:49 am

Mine arrived Thursday.

Good job Spiegler! Nice to deal with stand-up guys.

Rodney

2000 Canyon Red LT [I]
2005 Sportster XLCH 1200C
2006 Mongoose XR250
Make sure your Life Assurance is prayed up. Don't leave home without it.
post #21 of 22 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 7:28 am

Got mine last evening. T looks a little beefier than the one I now have, which itself is a replacement of a failed unit.

Thanks Spiegler.

Not looking forward to changing it out again.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #22 of 22 Old Oct 24th, 2008, 7:58 am

Maybe BMW should take note about great customer service and being proactive, or even active, about FD failures. I will do business with Spiegler in the future.

Greg and Melanie

06 BMW K12LT "WANDRR"
05 DL1000 "WNDRR2"
02 Triumph Trophy 1200 "WNDRR3", in Heidelburg

WANDRR Motorcycle Tours
wandrrmotorcycletours.com
BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in