FD Question... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 10:20 pm Thread Starter

Question FD Question...

I wanted to know how many people using a trailer behind the LT had FD failures, compared to those who did not use a trailer?
I think it will be interesting to see how this plays out, hopefully those who respond will be honest.
I would like to give the many who have experienced this problem the benefit of the doubt, but when you look at the failures that the LT had with the power center stand, it was found that the rider was at fault in the majority of the cases due to operating the stand while rider and sometimes passenger are still on the bike.
Often we utilize the machine far outside for which it was designed. The LT was not designed to pull a trailer, many might disagree but the fact is that it was not designed to do so.
When I pull my trailer, I do so knowing that this is outside of the normal factory design of my bike and I must assume responsibility if I am operating it in anyway other than which BMW designed it to be.

2003 Black
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
K1200LTC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Fender Mount Driving Lights
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 10:35 pm

Re: FD Question...

Ok...now, back to the thread.....

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 14 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 10:39 pm

Pull trailer ..... Diff "SEAL" failed at 42K +

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41266

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #4 of 14 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 7:17 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack

Ok...now, back to the thread.....

Jack...
Does your comment mean that you do not agree with my thread?
That by placing extra stress on the drive train of the bike by towing a trailer could not lead to a premature FD failure or other drive train related areas as well?

2003 Black
K1200LTC

Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

post #5 of 14 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 8:17 am

Cool Re: FD Question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
Jack...
That by placing extra stress on the drive train of the bike by towing a trailer could not lead to a premature FD failure or other drive train related areas as well?

No, I think it means this has been asked many times before.

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #6 of 14 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 8:27 am

Quote:
I wanted to know how many people using a trailer behind the LT had FD failures, compared to those who did not use a trailer?
Trailers have NOTHING to do with the failures. There are GTs and GS'es out there failing, and none of them (that I've heard) have a trailer behind them.
post #7 of 14 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 8:58 am

Quote:
Jack...
Two FDs toasted on ole Toad. One at 63k and the second at 117k. Never pulled a trailer.
post #8 of 14 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 3:21 pm

Quote:
I wanted to know how many people using a trailer behind the LT had FD failures...The LT was not designed to pull a trailer, many might disagree but the fact is that it was not designed to do so.
I have a Bushtec Quantum trailer. When speaking with the owner of Bushtec, before purchasing, he told me a little story. BMW actually sent them the details and specifications of the yet to be released 1999 K1200LT, with the proviso Bushtec design a trailer hitch worthy of the new suspension system.

Well, they did. And it is a wonderful, tight system that actually uses the suspensions capabilities when pulling the trailer. No slop, no sway, increases traction and down-force when braking, etc.

I have only about 25,000 miles on my Bushtec but almost 70,000 miles on my FD. If BMW had not wanted the LT to pull trailers...why give out the specs?

Besides, it would have been the only 'Heavy Tourer' with no trailer support. Hell, even its predecessor, the K1100LT towed well.

I think you're a bit off the mark here.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #9 of 14 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 5:23 pm

My 2 cents: I don't think that pulling a trailer causes FD failures on the KLT. The drives that are destined to fail are gonna fail sooner or later, trailer or no trailer.

As far as Bushtec getting BMW design "details and specifications" from BMW before the release of the KLT in 1999, I think it is a LOT more likely that that is a Bushtec BS sales job than it is likey that BMW gave them said specifications. It just doesn't sound like BMW to me.

And whether or not pulling a trailer contributes to FD failures, as far as BMW is concerned it doesn't matter. They can and have denied warranty coverage of FD failures only because the bike pulled a trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATownsend
I have a Bushtec Quantum trailer. When speaking with the owner of Bushtec, before purchasing, he told me a little story. BMW actually sent them the details and specifications of the yet to be released 1999 K1200LT, with the proviso Bushtec design a trailer hitch worthy of the new suspension system.

Well, they did. And it is a wonderful, tight system that actually uses the suspensions capabilities when pulling the trailer. No slop, no sway, increases traction and down-force when braking, etc.

I have only about 25,000 miles on my Bushtec but almost 70,000 miles on my FD. If BMW had not wanted the LT to pull trailers...why give out the specs?

Besides, it would have been the only 'Heavy Tourer' with no trailer support. Hell, even its predecessor, the K1100LT towed well.

I think you're a bit off the mark here.
post #10 of 14 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 7:47 pm

Charlie, your comment is more BS than Bushtec's...

You were not there my friend.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #11 of 14 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 7:47 pm

Quote:
Often we utilize the machine far outside for which it was designed.
The LT was not designed to pull a trailer,
many might disagree but the fact is that it was not designed to do so.
Next you'll be telling us (the fact) that the LT was designed to transport only
height/weight proportionate people and ......
anyone that "hauls" an overweight passenger or rider is using the machine
"far outside for which it was designed."

Why would "pulling a trailer" be any different
than hauling heavy people and gear on the bike itself?

Maybe you should ask: how many "overweight" people have had final drive failures?

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #12 of 14 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 9:08 pm

I am sure that MOST of the failed drives were on bikes that never pulled a trailer. I have been watching this since the LT web groups started.

I had one fail, and in over 100,000 miles I never pulled a trailer, and only rode 2 up probably less than 500 miles.

Besides, a trailer actually puts only a little extra weight on the rear of the bike, less than a rather small passenger would. Riding 2 up is worse than a trailer. Of course, most who pull a trailer are most often doing it while riding a passenger.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #13 of 14 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 10:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Next you'll be telling us (the fact) that the LT was designed to transport only
height/weight proportionate people and ......
anyone that "hauls" an overweight passenger or rider is using the machine
"far outside for which it was designed."

Why would "pulling a trailer" be any different
than hauling heavy people and gear on the bike itself?

Maybe you should ask: how many "overweight" people have had final drive failures?
Kind of funny you should say that. I would tell people who wanted performance mods done to the bikes that if they lost some weight, they would gain about 10 HP!
Bottom line, you can make many comments about this but the truth is the truth, certain riding habits will cause a bike to, well, have certain problems that others may never experience.
Example: I rode very hard one day from Daytona to Tampa at over triple digits for most of the trip. A few days after that I would notice a metallic noise from the engine only while on the side stand. Long story short, it turned out to be the inner valve spring had broken due to the harmonics of the motor and stress from many a hard and high RPM running.
The fix: Went with triple spring valve springs made by S&S.
It's a machine you ride it long enough and hard enough it will break in time, so, fix it and ride it!

2003 Black
K1200LTC

Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

post #14 of 14 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 8:08 am

Quote:
Kind of funny you should say that. I would tell people who wanted performance mods done to the bikes that if they lost some weight, they would gain about 10 HP! !
Hahaha, I guess that could mean that if I got "height/weight proportionate" I could gain about 40 hp.
Quote:
it turned out to be the inner valve spring had broken due to the harmonics of the motor and stress from many a hard and high RPM running.
The fix: Went with triple spring valve springs made by S&S.
you didn't say it so its just a guess but it sure sounds like you're talking about a Harley
and breaking a valve spring caused by riding it hard
is not at all uncommon for that brand (yes I'm talking from experience)

The fact is the LT is designed for long distance and "high speed" touring,
I've run mine hard for days at a time two up and pulling a trailer
(in places like west Texas) and it just asks for more.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in