(Another) Recently bought a used LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 9:04 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up (Another) Recently bought a used LT

Hello Everyone,
First, let me say that this is the best most informative forum that I've ever used. You guys rock with the amount of knowledge and help that I've seen so far. I just purchased a used '03 LT with 19k from the Atlanta dealership. They said they performed a service and they're pretty good from my experience so far.

Can you give me any suggestions of things that I should check or what maintainance I should do before I start putting serious mileage on it? For instance, I'm planning on replacing the tranny and rear drive fluids with ShockProof Heavy for peace of mind. From my research, that stuff looks like cheap insurance.

Also, does anyone in the Atlanta area know of any tech sessions coming up that I could get in on? I live North of Atlanta.

Thanks,
Frank Carroll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 9:14 pm

Re: (Another) Recently bought a used LT

Congrats on your new ride. I'm sure that you will enjoy many miles of riding on her. If you have the maintenance records from the dealership I would just continue to perform scheduled maintenance as required.

I purchase an 03 with 20K and just fell into the schedule of maintenance provided. So far I haven't had any issues and have really enjoyed the bike.

Congrats again and if you are ever in Texas give us a shout.

Have a great ride,

David
Dallas, TX
2006 K1200GT
BMWMOA 142756
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 10:28 pm

Congrats on your bike! I am sure you will enjoy your Lt for many many miles to come.

Ride safe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The only place where dreams are impossible
is in your own mind.

2005 BMW 1200Lt
2002 Honda 954rr
1996 Honda F3 600 (Stolen)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1986 Honda 1000RR (wrecked by best friend)

1982 Yamaha 600 (sold to buy the 1000)

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 7:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead354
Hello Everyone,
First, let me say that this is the best most informative forum that I've ever used. You guys rock with the amount of knowledge and help that I've seen so far. I just purchased a used '03 LT with 19k from the Atlanta dealership. They said they performed a service and they're pretty good from my experience so far.

Can you give me any suggestions of things that I should check or what maintainance I should do before I start putting serious mileage on it? For instance, I'm planning on replacing the tranny and rear drive fluids with ShockProof Heavy for peace of mind. From my research, that stuff looks like cheap insurance.

Also, does anyone in the Atlanta area know of any tech sessions coming up that I could get in on? I live North of Atlanta.

Thanks,
Frank Carroll
Hi, Frank - welcome to the menagerie!! Boy, at 19K on the clock, she's nearing that 'broken in' stage!! Enjoy getting more and more familiar with how she works and how she rides.

For upcoming tech sessions in your area, ping Steve Rowe (Steve_R) on the list. He's over in Snellville, and keeps pretty good tabs on events in GA and surrounding area. And do check out the gig up at the Iron Horse Lodge - it's on the horizon and sounds like a great get-together to make friends and see how others have personalized their rides. There is a thread running in the SE forum, I think - regarding that twice-a-year event.

Take care, Frank - ride safe. Check in often and participate too.

BTW - if you see a Champagne LT running around Cumming, that be my bro (Phil). Lives out on the lake, just off Pilgrim Mill road. I think he gets his LT serviced down at Blue Moon. He used to share-own Simply Southern. Now just loafs and watches the lake get shallow(er)!!!
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 8:38 am

Congrat's on the new ride.

If you haven't seen the "bottom of the home page" there are great references to maintenance.

I know you've got an earlier version, but the Oil Change 101 is great. I use it every change. Also covers tranny and rear drive.

Advanced class is tires, and slave cylinders.

Tech Sessions are great, make them if you can.

Oil Change Procedure

Ride Safe,

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #6 of 9 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 8:43 am Thread Starter

Thanks Dick for the good advice. I'll follow up with those contacts. Thanks to everyone else for the advice and encouragement as well.

One thing that several have mentioned is the weep or bleed hole for the slave. Is that something I can easily check to see if it has already been done or do I have to remove a bunch of parts to have a look?
post #7 of 9 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 9:20 am
Lifetime Supporter

Welcome aboard!

It's about a day ride over to Central Texas. We are usually very open to visitors! Ride on over!

If you can't get a "Kitchen Pass" for a weekend with option to extend while you ride the 3 Sisters (that is the 300 series roads, SW of I-10 and Kerrville, TX.) around Utopia, Junction, Medina... well, maybe someone in your area will fire up a "TS" for you..

Grab your metrics!

Semper Fidelis!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 9 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 9:09 am

Congratulations on your new ride. I purchased an 03 lte a year ago this month and have no regrets. I also am new to this forum and it is the best. I am a female rider who is 5'4" tall and with the lower seat kit, a shorter windshield, and some high heeled boots, I can ride comfortably. I bought it with 4000 miles on it and now have 13,500 clocked in. The bike looks very big and awkward but the only way to describe the ride is that it's graceful. I love the more upright stance and the reverse. I've kept up with the regular maintenance schedule and added Dynabeads when I put new tires on. My average mpg is 48 but on one trip I actually got 60 mpg. It's a great ride and I'm very happy with mine.

Wishing you many happy miles
~Stephanie

'03LTE Anthracite "Zelda"
'97 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500 "Big Red" (sold)
post #9 of 9 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 10:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead354
Thanks Dick for the good advice. I'll follow up with those contacts. Thanks to everyone else for the advice and encouragement as well.

One thing that several have mentioned is the weep or bleed hole for the slave. Is that something I can easily check to see if it has already been done or do I have to remove a bunch of parts to have a look?
It is hard to see, but you can see if a weep hole is in your slave cavity. You'll need to lay on the ground (I believe your best view is from the Left side) get a bright flashlight and look for the bell housing, then go towards the rear of the bike and "up" towards the seat (I know my description is not good). If you look at the written procedure for drilling the slave cavity, there is a picture of it.

The cavity itself is only an inch or two long. I was surprised how short the area was. It's up pretty high, but, you can see it from the ground. The hole itself should be in the 1/8" range.

Good Luck. If you have any questions about what you see, take a picture or two and post them.

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in