How Far Will She Lean??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 1:02 pm Thread Starter

How Far Will She Lean???

Every time I take a ride and have the need to put her on the side stand, I feel like I really need to pay close attention to the angle of the ground. I usually find myself looking for a place that has if not a flat surface a slight angle up on the stand side. She seems to lean over a little too much for my comfort if the grade is slightly down on left.

Anyone have an oppinion on the side stand lean of these beauties? I have a friend that has an 05 and he is saying that they can lean pretty far on the side stand without tipping over.

CAPTAINE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LIVE AND LET RIDE!!!!

Current Bike:
2009 LT Black
Previous Bikes:
2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic
1978 Yamaha 750
1975 Kawasaki 500
1971 Suzuki 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 1:10 pm

Re: How Far Will She Lean???

I have never had a problem with the bike leaning too far over on the side stand. But like you, I always search for a flat of slight "up" angle.

As long as she will not roll forward (i.e. downhill) while on the side stand, you should have no problem.

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #3 of 26 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 1:11 pm

There is a little bit of angle you can put on them but be very prudent about having it in gear............if it does go over it'll be if your on the side stand monkieing around in the off side luggage. Been there and done that.......nice thing about getting into the habit of leaving it in gear is that as soon as you push the side stand down, it will automatically kill the engine. (Don't forget to kill the switch. B-Safe :

post #4 of 26 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 1:55 pm

I took for granted how much better than the RT, the LT side stand was when we got the bike. I usually had my pillion mount first, then myself. Had no problems doing that on the HD.

I got into trouble one day on a slight incline at the house, which I was barely able to right the bike after she got on. My, that was painful....

Had one other trip where four of us stopped to eat. The parking area was stoned and on a steep incline. All the bikes looked fine on the side stands, except the LT. They all got back on without any issue, except me. One was a Road King, one GW and another smaller Honda.

That was the second worst experience I have had trying to get the bike back up, just behind dropping the RT in the dealers lot when we bought it.

Since then, I carry three thicknesses of spacers when I park on any incline, grass or hot macadam. The largest is a 2"x4" piece of wood. Any worse than that, I need to go somewhere else.
post #5 of 26 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 2:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I had an issue once with using the side stand. The bike leaned way to the left side as the roadside was leaning that way. I had the hardest time picking the bike up from its position as the COG was way to the left. I had to lift the bike upright while standing next to it and had Kathy "spot" me (keep the bike upright) while I got on. Once both feet were on the ground I was fine and moved the bike to a flatter area before allowing my pillion to get on.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 2:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

While you cannot keep her upright if she starts to fall over, you can keep her from falling over while you slowly learn her onto the side stand.

So far my most sever problem putting her onto the side stand was parking on a slight uphill slope while in a shadow. The shadow obscured an additional slope down from the kick stand.

Bob 0h 0h LT

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #7 of 26 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 3:05 pm

Having learned the hard way,
leave the bike in first gear,
roll forward to a stop,
then put the side stand down.
Even on a slight downslope, the bike can/will roll forward off the side stand.

Another thing to consider:
Even if the bike doesn't fall over with the sidestand down,
you may not be able to get it back upright (without some assistance)
when it's time to leave.

The lean became even more pronounced
when I replaced the stock shock with Ohlins.
The bike was higher and the reach for the ground was longer.
Had to be very selective on where I parked.
Fixed that by making a 1" thick wooden puck with recovery line to place under the side stand.
In retrospect, should have gone up to 1-1/2" thick.
post #8 of 26 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 3:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The LT seems to lean farther over than the other bikes I've ridden. It seems rather extreme. My wife always leans over to the right when I put it on the side stand. She thinks it will fall over. I'm sure it wouldn't but it just appears to be leaning too far...........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #9 of 26 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 3:52 pm

I make my wife get off before I park. She is only 110 pounds.

I have seen some of your wifes while you are vacationing here.
You should not be putting all that extra stress on the side stand.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #10 of 26 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 4:13 pm

I recently put a side stand foot plate on my RT, it added about a 1/4 inch of hieght to the kick stand, very noticable. May do the same for the LT.

Michael
post #11 of 26 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 4:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vffr1
I recently put a side stand foot plate on my RT, it added about a 1/4 inch of hieght to the kick stand, very noticable. May do the same for the LT.

Michael
You wouldn't have a picture of that to post would you? I always carry a piece of plywood to put under in bad areas, but find it a bit awkward to get it out and under the bike, then to pick it up again. Sometimes have to get someone to do the work, but not good if alone or even if wife is on, sometimes she can't get off to do the wood bit. A modification to the stand is a good idea.
post #12 of 26 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 5:49 pm

There is a photo of the RT part, not sure if they make one for the LT, try calling A&S BMW, hopefullly they confirm if that part is avaiable.

Side Stand Photo on page 2 (seems the link won't let you access page 2, try going to the main site, select R1200RT and then go to page 2).

Hope this helps,

Michael

Last edited by Vffr1; Oct 20th, 2008 at 7:59 pm.
post #13 of 26 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 6:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I always put a Dixie Chicks CD under my sidestand...............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #14 of 26 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 10:02 pm

I never had a problem w the side stand, even if I was parking it on an incline and it leaned a lot to the left. It can easily handle the weight of the bike plus much more. Me and my wife can sit on the bike with the side stand w no problem, just be sure to leave it in gear!!
post #15 of 26 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 8:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaine
Every time I take a ride and have the need to put her on the side stand, I feel like I really need to pay close attention to the angle of the ground. I usually find myself looking for a place that has if not a flat surface a slight angle up on the stand side. She seems to lean over a little too much for my comfort if the grade is slightly down on left.

Anyone have an oppinion on the side stand lean of these beauties? I have a friend that has an 05 and he is saying that they can lean pretty far on the side stand without tipping over.
the big question for me is how hard will it be getting upright again when it's leaning too far over on the side stand...and what the surface underneath is like.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #16 of 26 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 9:12 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver
You wouldn't have a picture of that to post would you? I always carry a piece of plywood to put under in bad areas, but find it a bit awkward to get it out and under the bike, then to pick it up again. Sometimes have to get someone to do the work, but not good if alone or even if wife is on, sometimes she can't get off to do the wood bit. A modification to the stand is a good idea.
I've got a little plate that I use with about 6 feet of string attached. Keeps me from forgetting it and makes it easy to retrieve..... Simply tie it to the handle bar after parking...

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #17 of 26 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 9:36 am

I carry a small chunk of a 2x4 board with me to put under the side stand in gravel, etc. I drilled a hole in the board and tied some string through it for ease in retrieving it. When parking, I tie the other end of the string to the left handlebar and position the board with my foot before resting the side stand on it.

When I get back on the bike and take it off the stand, I just reel in the board and keep it in the tank bag. It's not very pretty but it works.

Toodles,
~Steph
'03 LTE Anthracite "Zelda"
'97 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500 "Big Red" (sold)
post #18 of 26 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:27 pm

You can lean it over pretty far, but you might have trouble getting it back up if it is too far. Since I put new Ohlins on the bike and it sits higher, it has more of a tendency to do this, so I look for spots that are fairly level. Also remember to put the bike in gear and they roll forward to take out the slack before putting it on the side stand.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
post #19 of 26 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 3:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
the big question for me is how hard will it be getting upright again when it's leaning too far over on the side stand...and what the surface underneath is like.

This is a trick that a Harley Dealer taught my wife when we were shopping last week for a bar hopper.

Before trying to right your LT, straddle it while it is leaning on its sidestand. Then turn your handlebars all the way to the right. The bike will nearly right itself.

Glenn

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #20 of 26 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 3:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennM86
This is a trick that a Harley Dealer taught my wife when we were shopping last week for a bar hopper.

Before trying to right your LT, straddle it while it is leaning on its sidestand. Then turn your handlebars all the way to the right. The bike will nearly right itself.

Glenn
Counter intuitive, but worth a try.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #21 of 26 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 5:44 am

My wife was able to lift a Heritage Classic and a Fatboy with no effort. She was happy. therefore I was happy.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #22 of 26 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 7:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennM86
My wife was able to lift a Heritage Classic and a Fatboy with no effort. She was happy. therefore I was happy.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Happy Wife = Happy Life

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #23 of 26 Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 12:09 pm Thread Starter

I use a small plastic food cutting board for those unstable patches under the side stand. Sounds like a good idea with the hole and string.

CAPTAINE

LIVE AND LET RIDE!!!!

Current Bike:
2009 LT Black
Previous Bikes:
2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic
1978 Yamaha 750
1975 Kawasaki 500
1971 Suzuki 125
post #24 of 26 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 3:24 am

My problem is aparently the opposite, my bike dosn't lean over enough so I have to be careful to park with the side stand on the low side when parking on a slope or the bike feels as though it will not stay on the side stand.

99 K1200 LTC

00' VT 750 Shadow ACE sold

77' Yam XS750 DCrashed
/
post #25 of 26 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 8:58 am

Scott, I'll bet you have the original shocks on your Bike. Reason I say this is becaues mine used to be like yours till I replaced the originals with Ohlins. What a difference! The other difference was how much easier it was to get on the center stand once again. Like it was a new Bike all over! That was at around 60K miles, so those originals were defineatly sagging, but it snuck up on me gradually. Nothing gradual about the Ohlins!

On a different note, I would say, based on your avatar, that you might be a fellow Coastie? If so, nice to find another one in the crowd like myself.

Semper Paratus,

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineace
My problem is aparently the opposite, my bike dosn't lean over enough so I have to be careful to park with the side stand on the low side when parking on a slope or the bike feels as though it will not stay on the side stand.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #26 of 26 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 3:19 am

Yes John , I would have to assume that they are the originals, I've had the big girl only 4 months 3k miles and have love every mile!! the previouse owner had done many thing to her but I think the shock are orignal I think I'll attempt to rebiuld them before replaceing (it was hard enough to get the puchase price through the finance commitee) . and yes 20+ years active and res. , now retarded .

99 K1200 LTC

00' VT 750 Shadow ACE sold

77' Yam XS750 DCrashed
/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in