Looking at a 2002 K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 9:00 am Thread Starter

Looking at a 2002 K1200LT

As the title say`s , i`m going to look at a 2002 K1200LT. I figured before i go to the dealer i`m looking for things to ask them (never owned a BMW bike just car) Is there a list i can draw off of to write down , so i don`t look like a complete idiot :-) The bike has 48,000 mi`s on it & is going for a real good price (BMW dealer selling it) In the pics it looks pretty good but i know somtimes pics make a bike look too good to be true , until you get there. In looking at the pics it does have chrome on certain spots so i`m assuming it`s either a C or an E (add doesn`t say & waiting on a reply from the dealer before i go up for a ride to look at it) I have done all my own maintanace on all the bikes i have owned (never did a shim under bucket deal though) But i`m not scared to jump right in & get the job done :-) I am coming from a big 1700cc cruiser & 2-1100 Goldwings , so i`m used to a heavy bike. So thanks in advanced on your input

Gerard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 9:34 am

Re: Looking at a 2002 K1200LT

There are several things to look for.

You can feel under the tip over wings and tell if the bike has been tipped over. Also the chrome on the saddle bags will be scuffed if so. I would assume all LTs have been tipped over. Not a big deal. It happens.

In the glove box you can see if there is a control for the intercom. Also if there are hookups for a GPS up by the speedo. If so then you most likely have an E model. The GPS came with the E and the luggage .

Have him pull the service records on the bike.

You can put the bike up on the center stand and see of you get right to left play in the rear wheel. This will show if your FD may be going out. But that is unlikely to find at the dealer?

There isn't much you can tell by looking but take it for a ride. I would rather buy a bike with that many miles on it for that year then one with 10000 miles on it. It is just getting broken in and I have heard to many stories of guys buying older bikes with no miles on them and having seals go out. Don't hear it much on bikes with average miles and use.

Also remember, this bike it top heavy and a wants all your attention at slow speeds. Keep your head up and look straight out and all will be fine. Also the bikes will be touchier then your use too.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #3 of 14 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 10:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

Ask the dealer for the xtended warranty... and make sure it will cover 'pre-existing' conditions.. %-)

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 11:00 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys & i`m used to the top heavieness as i did own 2 Kawasaki Concours`s & belonged to the CDA (Connie droppers association ) I will make sure it`s on it`s center stand when i check it out & besides they have to give at least a 30 day warrentee (i hope) so i can give it a feel for it.

Last edited by confish86; Oct 20th, 2008 at 11:06 am.
post #5 of 14 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 11:20 am

Check the throttle cables, I had to update my 02.The stock ones are very stiff......Good luck..

2002LTC 102,000
1979 Honda CX 500 50,000..Sold
1983 FJ1100 Sold
Don.
post #6 of 14 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 11:23 am

If it is near a service interval make sure they do it (dealer) . These can be expensive. A lot of folks , myself included , do their own maintenance to save $ and have it done right.

Final drives, rear brake squeel, tight throttle cables, gear shift foot lever, tires are typical things that wear or fail on these.....

Great bike. Enjoy....
post #7 of 14 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 12:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by confish86
As the title say`s , i`m going to look at a 2002 K1200LT. I figured before i go to the dealer i`m looking for things to ask them (never owned a BMW bike just car) Is there a list i can draw off of to write down , so i don`t look like a complete idiot :-) The bike has 48,000 mi`s on it & is going for a real good price (BMW dealer selling it) In the pics it looks pretty good but i know somtimes pics make a bike look too good to be true , until you get there. In looking at the pics it does have chrome on certain spots so i`m assuming it`s either a C or an E (add doesn`t say & waiting on a reply from the dealer before i go up for a ride to look at it) I have done all my own maintanace on all the bikes i have owned (never did a shim under bucket deal though) But i`m not scared to jump right in & get the job done :-) I am coming from a big 1700cc cruiser & 2-1100 Goldwings , so i`m used to a heavy bike. So thanks in advanced on your input

Gerard
Gerard,

Sounds like the LT at Trans-Am in Lititz. If so, I "looked" at it while I was getting tires mounted to some wheels. I did not take it out because I have an 05 LT and I didn't need to LT's right now (wink). It was also "buried" behind many other bikes in the used showroom.

But it did look nice & clean. I think it has the stock windshield, the BMW topcase rack, and decent ME880's.

Jon

2011 R1200RT - not named yet

2005 K1200LT Blue - "Sapphire" - gone
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 ST1100 Red - "Red Rider"

BMW MOA #139052
post #8 of 14 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 1:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsd-tourteam
Gerard,

Sounds like the LT at Trans-Am in Lititz. If so, I "looked" at it while I was getting tires mounted to some wheels. I did not take it out because I have an 05 LT and I didn't need to LT's right now (wink). It was also "buried" behind many other bikes in the used showroom.

But it did look nice & clean. I think it has the stock windshield, the BMW topcase rack, and decent ME880's.

Jon
You got it & the secrets out LOL i`m going tomorrow to have a look (don`t feel very good today ) I just by chance called for insurance on it to see if it was in the cards. Boy was i shocked when they told me that it`s $10.00 bucks cheaper than the 04 Roadstar i have. $217.00 a year fully covered & roadside assistance. (been with them for a real long time & never had a claim) i did wreck an 03 Roadstar i had but put it back together with used parts & some aftermarket pieces & no one ever knew. The funny thing is i emailed them about the bike & they never maild back ?? guess there too busy selling new bikes LOL

Thanks for the reply
post #9 of 14 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 2:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You will want to look for tell tale signs that the prior owner dumped his ride:
look carefully at the gasket/seal between the engine and clutch bell housing for any sign that it is wet. This indicates either a leaking trany or engine seal, very expensive to fix. If there is a leak there, the crash pan and plate covering the oil filter will trap dust in the oil.

Open the trunk, and look carefully at the latching pins. Any sign of ware on their underside indicates the latching mechanism will soon brake; replacing the latch runs about $300 from a forum member. Otherwise, you have to buy a new lower trunk.

You must stop the LT with the front wheel STRAIGHT!

If you buy it, be prepared to scratch your need to go riding over the next mountain and around the next corner.

Bob 0h 0h LT

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #10 of 14 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 5:52 pm Thread Starter

f you buy it, be prepared to scratch your need to go riding over the next mountain and around the next corner.

Bob 0h 0h LT

Thats what happened when i first bought my Concours & 500 mi days were the norm . Had to switch jobs as the place i was working at closed down (now becoming a Lowes Yippie) & i didn`t have a weekend day off so i sold the second Concours (an 05) , & just bought a cruiser (i know big mistake) But at the time i didn`t ride far & most of my work buddies & friends wound up working somewhere else & there days were different off too. But then 2 people i know bought 09 Goldwings & started riding again , so i started to look again BUT wanted something a litte better , so here i am looking at a K1200LT. My friend in N.Y. for 32 years has been trying to have me buy a BMW (he owns a K1100LT & loves it) But i wanted something a little newer. With a manual i can just about work on any bike so the big K doesn`t scare me one bit.
post #11 of 14 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 6:24 pm Thread Starter

Well i don`t have to go look at the K-LT tomorrow as they just emaild me & said it was sold. Well at least i have more time to sell my 2-1100 wings for a bigger down payment (not pissed just dissapointed) Will keep you guys posted on my advanture LOL
post #12 of 14 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 6:27 pm

Quote:
Thanks guys & i`m used to the top heavieness as i did own 2 Kawasaki Concours`s & belonged to the CDA (Connie droppers association ) I will make sure it`s on it`s center stand when i check it out & besides they have to give at least a 30 day warrentee (i hope) so i can give it a feel for it.
I have ridden all sort of big bikes including a Connie and the LT is more willing to tip over at low speed than any of the other bikes I ever rode. Always respect the fat German lady and she will respect you.
post #13 of 14 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 7:11 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Well i don`t have to go look at the K-LT tomorrow as they just emaild me & said it was sold.
Bummer, but maybe the bike just wasn't meant for you.

Why not just look through our own Motorcycle Classifieds here on this site? There are a lot of well-maintained bikes offered, with a wide variety of years, prices, mileages, and pre-installed accessories. You should easily be able to find a bike that fits your needs and your budget, and most likely from a well-known and trusted seller. Who knows, you might even make a friend along the way.

And if you really can't find anything you like, I do have an '02 LT sitting in the garage. Only 98K miles, but I'll make you a great deal . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 14 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 10:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Bummer, but maybe the bike just wasn't meant for you.

Why not just look through our own Motorcycle Classifieds here on this site? There are a lot of well-maintained bikes offered, with a wide variety of years, prices, mileages, and pre-installed accessories. You should easily be able to find a bike that fits your needs and your budget, and most likely from a well-known and trusted seller. Who knows, you might even make a friend along the way.

And if you really can't find anything you like, I do have an '02 LT sitting in the garage. Only 98K miles, but I'll make you a great deal . . .
The only reason i was looking at doing buisness with this dealer was to trade my Yamaha in on it. I will keep looking at this dealers used stock on line & will stop by every once in awhile & will stop in a day or 2 to talk to them & leave my phone number so i`f they do get another deal like this one i`ll be first to know . (guess green wasn`t my color) LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in