valve inspection - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 19th, 2008, 8:54 pm Thread Starter

valve inspection

Where is a good place to get instructions for checking valve clearances, adjustments and throttle body adjustments.

I read once that someone had an instructional dvd for sale.

I am semi mechanically inclined, but "for dummies" directions would be good for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 19th, 2008, 9:30 pm

Re: valve inspection

www.gunsmoke.com , go to K1200RS page, valve adjustment (valve adjustment same as for LT engine). Only change: do NOT remove sparking plugs before checking valve gap.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 9:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton
www.gunsmoke.com , go to K1200RS page, valve adjustment (valve adjustment same as for LT engine). Only change: do NOT remove sparking plugs before checking valve gap.

- Bob
Newbie question - why not remove the spark plugs, and why does gunsmoke recommend that they should be removed?

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 10:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman10
Newbie question - why not remove the spark plugs, and why does gunsmoke recommend that they should be removed?
That is one thing that the Gunsmoke had very, very wrong. Ufortunately, I have not been able to find a way to contact the author and have him change it.

It is specifically stated in the BMW service manuals that the spark plugs should NEVER be removed before checking valve clearances.

The reason is that removing spark plugs usually dislodges small flecks of carbon, which could fall down into any open exhaust valves on the LT engine. Then when checking the clearances the valves could close on this material causing the clearance reading to read higher than is real. This could cause one to think that the clearance is good, or too large, and as soon as the engine is started the debris would be blown out and the clearance would be smaller by the thickness of the debris. Remember, the clearance tolerance is less than the thickness of a piece of paper, so something that thick or more between the valve and seat could cause a very wrong reading.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 12:58 pm

I see (said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw...) It makes sense.

So then there is no purpose whatsoever for removing the plugs for a valve check. Do they need to be removed if an adjustment is needed?

Ray "Razman"

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #6 of 9 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 1:07 pm

Paul Sayegh's maintence video's do go through checking valve clearances. It also stresses not to remove the spark plugs. His video does not go through the actual adjustment procedure, should that be necessary.
post #7 of 9 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 3:10 pm

Quote:
I see (said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw...) It makes sense.

So then there is no purpose whatsoever for removing the plugs for a valve check. Do they need to be removed if an adjustment is needed?
No need to remove the plugs for any reason except to change them. If not changing the plugs, then leave 'em in. We don't gap or clean them, just change them periodically.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 9 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 9:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I believe his thinking was the engine would be easily rotated without the compression. Thus making the job of placing the cams in position over the valve buckets, for measuring, much easier. David is 100% correct that flakes of carbon can be dislodged from the plugs and fall between an open seat and the exhaust valve surface whice can make for a false measument.

I replace the plugs every 50k, therefore in 5k miles I'll be installing my 3rd set.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #9 of 9 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 9:06 am

David & Ernie,

Thanks for your insight!

(I love this place! )

Ray "Razman"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in