New Cycle Lift in Charlotte N.C. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 9:57 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

New Cycle Lift in Charlotte N.C.

I just got my new cycle lift in my garage and would like some tips on using it.

Like tying bike down,& jacking bike up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 10:14 pm

Re: New Cycle Lift in Charlotte N.C.

This is how I strap it down.

Dave

2003 K1200LTC Titan Silver
BMWBMW, BMWMOA, AMA, IBA
post #3 of 14 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 11:31 pm

Hey Dave--do you work on your bike in your living room? If that's your garage--I want one. Nice work space!!!!!

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 K1200LT (Black/Yellow) BigBee
Unigo Trailer (Black/Yellow) Stinger

post #4 of 14 Old Oct 19th, 2008, 2:37 am

Cool Re: New Cycle Lift in Charlotte N.C.

Personally, If I was using a lift, in addition to any other straps etc, I would install a safety thats hooked around a ceiling joist. 800lbs of bmw would really spoil your day if it fell on top of you!

Simon

2006 k1200LT........my 13th!
post #5 of 14 Old Oct 19th, 2008, 3:36 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: New Cycle Lift in Charlotte N.C.

Not sure if it's available for that model lift but would recommend a front wheel vice. Makes life a whole lot safer. Good too when working without the center stand down.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #6 of 14 Old Oct 19th, 2008, 7:54 am
Lifetime Supporter

+1 on the front wheel vice. It makes it easier to tie down.

Always use tiedowns, and do not run them to the handlebars. (apologies if that is painfully obvious)

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #7 of 14 Old Oct 19th, 2008, 10:16 am

The Harbor Freight lift comes with the vise, but I found it to awkward to use by yourself. Once the bike is on the (see the 5' long wood boxes against the wall that are the same height as the lift, one on each side) lift I put the side stand down on the wood box. Then it's easy to put on the center stand. With the front wheel in the vise you have to use another jack under the engine to lift the bike to deploy the center stand. I put the straps on the foot pegs until the tupperware is off, then I move the straps forward to the frame. I also run a strap from the center stand to the front wheel, to prevent the center stand folding up. If I were doing major work, I would use the vise and a jack to lift the bike. I haven't felt the need to tie the bike off from overhead, if I did I would use an engine crane or tripod.

Dave

2003 K1200LTC Titan Silver
BMWBMW, BMWMOA, AMA, IBA
post #8 of 14 Old Oct 19th, 2008, 7:34 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

The lift I just got is rated at 1500 lbs. I bought it from Complete Hydraulic Service & Sales in Franklin IN. Thanks for all the replies. I got 6 cycle D rings from local trailer company & installed 4 one on each corner for now.

I have had bike on lift twice now & think I will use the vice for temp. use only. It seems that this bike is so heavy the vice alone would put to much stress on the wheel & axle. I used the jack that came with it & jacked up the bike on the engine guard to put on the center stand is this ok.

post #9 of 14 Old Oct 19th, 2008, 8:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddle-man
The lift I just got is rated at 1500 lbs. I bought it from Complete Hydraulic Service & Sales in Franklin IN. Thanks for all the replies. I got 6 cycle D rings from local trailer company & installed 4 one on each corner for now.

I have had bike on lift twice now & think I will use the vice for temp. use only. It seems that this bike is so heavy the vice alone would put to much stress on the wheel & axle. I used the jack that came with it & jacked up the bike on the engine guard to put on the center stand is this ok.

Wow...what a REALLY great looking lift! We have got to get together real soon and talk shop! When my GT gets back from the dealer, I'll call and we'll get together and have some fun! Below are a few pics of my lift and garage. We could host some kinda TECH SESSION!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ranger Motorcycle Lift 004.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	20188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ranger Motorcycle Lift 002.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	778.0 KB
ID:	20189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amy Painting 007.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	20191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Givi 001.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	20192  

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 14 Old Oct 19th, 2008, 9:28 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

I would like to have & attend tech. sessions. My garage is 30' x 50' with a 10' x 15' enclosed heated room. This is my main mode of transportation and all help & knowledge is very much welcomed. I have plenty of parking for all kinds of vehicles.
post #11 of 14 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 6:26 am

Quote:

She sure is a Beauty!

Congratulations. I also use my 05 as my main mode of transportation. 34F this AM.

I'm just off exit 33 in Mooresville, actually the new exit they are putting on Langtree. My set up is not as cool, but, functional. There is an absolute wealth of information on this site, so if you can't find it, just ask.

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #12 of 14 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 6:26 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Hi Joe I saw 34F at 5:30 this morning on Highway 73 E. crossing the rocky river that seems to be the cold spot every day. I live near the Nuke plant on Highway 73.
post #13 of 14 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 8:36 pm

With my Handylift and the 12 inch side extensions, front vice, and "transmission overhaul" jack + 2 more lifts in the neighborhood....I'd say we're ready for a major tech seesion......with more lifts than the CLT dealer!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Wow...what a REALLY great looking lift! We have got to get together real soon and talk shop! When my GT gets back from the dealer, I'll call and we'll get together and have some fun! Below are a few pics of my lift and garage. We could host some kinda TECH SESSION!

Wes Phillips
Lake Norman, NC

99 K1200LT "Hans"
98 R1200C (Sandy's bike) "Betty"
86 Honda Helix "Pooter Scooter"
post #14 of 14 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 9:13 am

Quote:
Hi Joe I saw 34F at 5:30 this morning on Highway 73 E. crossing the rocky river that seems to be the cold spot every day. I live near the Nuke plant on Highway 73.
Funny, I saw 34 F on that same road! I pass (at least until Football is over) over that bridge closer to 6:30.

I work over in Mount Holly so I routinely go past the plant. If you keep going out toward Lincolnton (on 73), there are some reasonable roads that get you to MH (first right after High School). If you can make it to Stanley NC, try "Black Snake Road". It is no Dragon, but some reasonable challenging twisties, especially good for clearing the mind before work

Good thing this morning was 40. Six degrees makes all the difference.

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in