Fuel Gauge Issue - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 12:29 pm Thread Starter

Fuel Gauge Issue

I am new to this community and glad that it exists. The fuel gauge on my newly purchased 1999 is off by at least a gallon or so (not to my benefit - runs out of fuel before the light comes on). I was informed of this issue when I purchased the bike and told that the dealer could fix it or I could just play it safe and fuel up at 200 miles.

Just got off the phone with the Dealer. They stated minimum of three hours ($250 or so) just to diagnose. Is this (the fuel gauge) a common problem? If so, is there a specific part that anyone knows of that may be worth trying?

Next question. Is the onboard computer probable range linked directly to the fuel gauge or is it separate? If it is separate, how accurate is the probable range?

I understand that I could take a small container of fuel with me and run it down to test it out, but I'm hoping to avoid having to do that!

Sure would appreciate hearing from any of you. Thanks in advance.

Skeeter sends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 1:55 pm

Re: Fuel Gauge Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterD
I am new to this community and glad that it exists. The fuel gauge on my newly purchased 1999 is off by at least a gallon or so (not to my benefit - runs out of fuel before the light comes on). I was informed of this issue when I purchased the bike and told that the dealer could fix it or I could just play it safe and fuel up at 200 miles.

Just got off the phone with the Dealer. They stated minimum of three hours ($250 or so) just to diagnose. Is this (the fuel gauge) a common problem? If so, is there a specific part that anyone knows of that may be worth trying?

Next question. Is the onboard computer probable range linked directly to the fuel gauge or is it separate? If it is separate, how accurate is the probable range?

I understand that I could take a small container of fuel with me and run it down to test it out, but I'm hoping to avoid having to do that!

Sure would appreciate hearing from any of you. Thanks in advance.

Skeeter sends
Hi Skeeter
Welcome to the Boards

Not really sure if this is what you would call a commen problem or not...i have heard a few people sayiing that they are off alittle but not by that much..By over a gallon that is alot...

Yes to get it checked out 3.5 hours is about right...they would have to remove all of the tupperware to check it out which means alot of labor...
I am not enough of a wrench head to be able to tell you how to fix the problem itself but i am sure you will find enough people here to help with your issues

Good luck and enjoy the Ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #3 of 4 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 9:20 pm

Re: Fuel Gauge Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterD

Skeeter sends
I too have an issue with the fuel gauge, and from the input on this very forum, I think I know what it's not, but am still looking for what it is. I was told that it could be an issue with the fuel vapor canister, causing a small collapse of the fuel tank itself, which caused the fuel gauge to get a wrong reading. I was also told that the OBC was not affected by this, although I have yet to fully understand how this is so.
On my 00 LT, I have looked at the tank in it's naked glory and I would swear it looked fine, although again it's hard to tell to the un-initiated as the tank already has dimples all over it.
If that's the case, and the tank is fine, then it's probably the sender unit or the intake tube issue (tweaking the intake tube with the gas pump nozzle). Those two things sound like something that could happen during the last 103 thousand miles.
After that, I don't have a clue, although I am waiting with beer breath for others with much more knowledge to continue to advise....
Welcome to the forum, by the way. This place is great!
Rick

2000 K1200 LT
1973 R75/5
1999 Honda Africa Twin (sold)
1999 R1100 RTP (sold)
1998 R1100 GS (totaled)
1991 R100 RT (sold)
1988 Honda NR250 (sold)
1983 Honda CB350 (sold)

post #4 of 4 Old Oct 19th, 2008, 4:39 am

Hall of Wisdom and FAQ

There is lots of good information on this site in ther forums, but most people forget there is a Hall of Wisdom and a FAQ for the site too. Try this link and you'll find several things about fuel system.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in