I love this board -- Speedo fluctuating wildly - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 9:24 am Thread Starter

I love this board -- Speedo fluctuating wildly

I guess I should apologize for not being around much for a while. I have been working like a maniac at work. But I have been commuting on my bike -- I went a whole month without even starting my car. Nice.

Anyway, I was on my way home after picking up a 20 pound bag of kitty litter the other night, and as I was getting on the freeway, the needle on my speedo was fluctuating wildly. The top of the range was about the speed I was going (60-ish). It would dip down to maybe 40 or 20, but never stopped bouncing up and down. The cruise control wouldn't engage -- the SET light would come on for a fraction of a second, then go out.

I came here and did a quick search. I found these threads:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39698
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7881
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...&sb=5&o=0&vc=1

Yup. That was exactly it. Removed the panel that the passenger peg is on. Found the broken wire where it is zip-tied too tightly to a brake line fitting.

After wrestling off the lower panel without totally removing the upper panel (it can be done, but not real easy) to get enough room to work, I very gingerly cut away the outer insulation (there are two wires inside, only one of them was cut) and removed the insulation on the cut wire. I wrapped a temporary splice around it and rode a few blocks (to pick up a bottle of scotch and a roll of electrical tape (since I left my other roll in the tent trailer and I don't feel like setting it up just to get the tape out)). Speedo works correctly.

If it's not raining this morning, I will make permanent repairs.

Thanks, folks.

How the heck did people work on things before the internet?

If you look at the map and don't care where you are, you're not lost.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 11:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: I love this board -- Speedo fluctuating wildly

You should be commended for ACTUALLY searching previous posts to find an answer, and then adding a write-up on how you solved the problem.
Thanks for more clarity on this issue.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 12:23 pm

On recent ride, cruise was droping out and saw speedo going up and down.
As soon as I got home and ck'd this board out I found my sensor wire also
damaged by the brake line. I was able to solder and heat shrink without removing anything. Lots of great money saving info here.

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 2:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler

I often wonder that myself

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #5 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 2:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler
Much harder to do for sure, but keeping in touch by reading good motorcycle magazines helped a great deal. Back then (I am talking about the '60s) motorcycle magazine tended to be very technical with lots of how to articals, with pictures and details......just like what I find at this site! That is why I like this forum so much.

The added advantage of today's technology is the abilities to share personal experience easily. You can do that also in the old days by writing in to the magazine, but it is so much easier with the internet and a forum like this!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #6 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 5:43 pm Thread Starter

I stopped reading motorcycle mags -- I just don't have time any more -- but I recall that both Cycle World and Rider had tech Q&A sections. I just wondered how someone would write in with a problem then wait for their question to be answered in a couple of months.

One thing I really miss is Kevin Cameron's columns. He was truly gifted and could explain the most esoteric engineering concept to the average person without the reader's eyes glazing over or getting lost in the details.

Anyhoo, I didn't get a chance to finish up the splice this morning, but if someone finds *this* thread while searching in the future, here's what the problem looks like... the hydraulic line fitting right above the break in the wire is the culprit. Note that this picture is *after* cutting away the insulation. All you will see is a nick in the insulation where it touches the upper edge of the fitting.

Oh, and my bike is a 2000 with a little under 40,000 miles.

Thanks again, folks.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2

Last edited by juggler; Oct 18th, 2008 at 5:52 pm.
post #7 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 5:47 pm Thread Starter

Oh, I and don't see how one can get a piece of heat-shrink tubing over the whole cable without cutting the other (yellow) one and splicing them both. Tubing over the spliced wire, yes. Looks like it'll be a black tape job for the outer insulation. Unless someone knows something I don't...

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2
post #8 of 10 Old Jun 1st, 2014, 3:17 pm Thread Starter

Five and a half years later... A couple months ago, the speedometer started getting flaky again.

I was starting to think about replacing the bike. Maybe go back to a twin. I love the looks of the R1100/R1150RTs, but with growing arthritis in my hands (and carpal tunnel problems I just had fixed), I cannot ride a bike without cruise control. At least not for more than a few miles. So, I was thinking about an R1200RT, even though I'm not wild about the looks.

But... I took the K1200 into the shop last summer and it's now purring like a kitten, so I figured I'd keep it for a few more years. In fact, I was so happy with it, I decided to WASH it, which almost never happens. I even scrubbed all the spooge off the wheels and final drive.

Immediately thereafter, the speedo started flaking out again, but it would bounce around, not drop to zero and back up like before.

I thought I had messed up the sensor when I was cleaning back there.

Yesterday I got back on the bike for the first time in several months (being out of the country, then out of commission with the carpal tunnel surgery). I decided to check the wires. The wire had broken right next to the splice. I snipped off the previous splice and fixed it again. The big difference was this time, I took off the saddlebag and some more plastic to get go access to it, wrapped a bit of bare wire around the splice, and zip-tied it all back to the bike so it wasn't bouncing around as much.

If it breaks again, I'll cut both wires and do a better job with heat-shrink over the whole thing. But five and a half years out of the repair ain't bad, I don't think.

It's also time for a new battery. I've got eight years on this one and it was two years old when I bought it from Brian Ley (sanjaun2) here. Off to read the latest opinions.

Happy riding, all.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2
post #9 of 10 Old Jun 1st, 2014, 4:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
Oh, I and don't see how one can get a piece of heat-shrink tubing over the whole cable without cutting the other (yellow) one and splicing them both. Tubing over the spliced wire, yes. Looks like it'll be a black tape job for the outer insulation. Unless someone knows something I don't...
Try silicone electrical tape or "Rescue" tape. It sticks to itself and does a decent job. Not quite as good as heat shrink but close enough.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #10 of 10 Old Jun 1st, 2014, 5:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50 View Post
Try silicone electrical tape or "Rescue" tape. It sticks to itself and does a decent job. Not quite as good as heat shrink but close enough.

Robert
And they make heat shrink 'tape'. I used it quite a bit when re-doing ole Toad's wiring problem recently. Comes in several widths and roll lengths. A good electronic shop should carry it. Altex stores here in these parts of Tejas for one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in