ERC and LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 9:01 am Thread Starter

ERC and LT

Has anyone taken the LT through the Experienced Rider Course? I've taken the course on an RT and a GS, but worried the LT would wear me out and I'm not sure I could do those figure 8 boxes on the beast.

AKA "Speedbump"

Past:
2000 RT
2003 LT
2007 GSA
2013 GS
Another 2007 GSA
2007 RTP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 9:57 am

Re: ERC and LT

I took the course this spring in Minnesota with 30 -40 mph wind speeds, raining, 40 degrees and a bad shoulder. Never put it down and passed the course with flying colors.

But I have been riding the bike for 5 years and do practice stops, and slow turns from time to time.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #3 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 10:37 am

I took ERC at CCR two years ago. The figure 8 was the only part that gave me problems. There were 8 other people taking the course. 7 were on LTs, one on a GT and I on a triumph. If I remember correctly, the guy on the GT was the only one to do the figure 8.

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2001 R1150GS (gone -- victim of a Highway 28 curve)
2002 K1200LT Trike (now history, transmission died)
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1300GT

post #4 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 10:51 am

Talking Re: ERC and LT

recently traveled from Central New York to Charlotte, NC for Mark Brown's Strategic Riding Course. www.motomark1.com Rode down on Friday for the Saturday Course and returned on Sunday. If I were going to do it again I would arrive a day earlier to rest up. By the middle of the afternoon I was bushed. The course looked easy. a few cones set in a row some others set for some sharp serpentine turns and an iron cross configuration for 8's, U's and O's. The practice was intense. There were five in the class, with 3 BMWs R100, 1100 GS my LT, one HD, large that came with SO, and a Kow-HD knockoff. The slow speed issues of the LT showed up right away. All other bikes PUTTed through with only small issues. Not so me and my LT. Hit and dragged just about every cone in the weave section. Dropped her on both sides, in the serpentine section, total of three times in the first hour and a half. (Learned I can pick her back up with very little help) By the time we added the Iron Cross section I had learned that while it takes more input at slow speeds to steer, Mark

Had it drilled into my head to look where you want to go, and the bike will do it. When I looked down to try and shave the cones it is as if the bike said you are looking down, you must want to go there, so here we go. down it is. When I learned to hold my head UP, and look where I wanted to go, It became a smooth and beautiful thing. The bike stayed up through the lock-to-lock turns referred to above. This at idle speeds, while trying to find the Sweet spot on the clutch.

I learned to begin to trust my bike, and by the end of the day i had the beginning's of the skill to take with me to do circles in two parking spaces. 8's took a little more. I wore down the "chicken stripes" on my tires and did several Lock-to-Lock turns. I learned that when I looked down and almost dropped her by lifting my head It was as if i pulled the bike up with my head and avoided another fall. Smile from ear to ear

I say the beginnings of the skill because now I have to practice, practice, practice. This was brought home to me by one of the instructors who drives an LT and had ridden much more then I. At lunch he admitted to the Director he had not ridden much in the last three months and he was concerned he might not be able to handle the course. He spent some time in the parking lot spaces on the directors r1100 Police bike. Before he rode the course

The instructors allowed that the LT is (in their opinion) the hardest bike for slow speed handling. Also that this was more intense then an ERC.

But with practice it is possible. and worth the price.

The Director is planning to retire from Police riding in the near future and do more civilian training, and to even offer a multi day instruction class to learn the driving side of police motormen skills and standards. He has a 69 acre plot for this as well as off road and ATV skills

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL

Last edited by tobiwan; Oct 17th, 2008 at 11:04 am.
post #5 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 11:51 am

I did the figure 8 box on the LT at an ERC. You have to lean off the bike in the opposite direction of the turn and slip the clutch.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
post #6 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 11:56 am

ERC twice on the LT (time for another) and hit the 8's in the box with no sweat. But I hit the parking lot for practice once a month.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #7 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 12:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
ERC twice on the LT (time for another) and hit the 8's in the box with no sweat. But I hit the parking lot for practice once a month.
How big are the boxes? How much space do you have?

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #8 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 4:33 pm
Super Moderator

Along with five other LT's took the ERC at CCR2007 at Tan-Tar-A

The boxes were challenging but it is a matter of attitude, body english and your desire / ability to move around on the bike. Practice, practice, practice.

One of the members dropped the LT but not in the boxes as I recall it was setting up on the apex of a curve during slow speed maneuvers!!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #9 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 5:04 pm

BMWMOA held a mini-rally at the BMW Performance Center in Spartanburg, SC (actually in Greer as we locals know) last weekend. Pre-registration closed before I heard about the event but I stopped by Saturday afternoon for a look-see. I arrived 30 minutes too late to participate in an ERC (I think the class was booked but they had some no-shows), but I observed for a while.

I would like to take the ERC but I was glad I had not attempted it cold. Mine would have been the only LT on the course, too.

The ERC was pretty cool. All kinds of BMWs, including a couple of well-kept K75s, a Ural with sidecar on the sidelines, and one of the instructors was doing demos on an older Airhead with "ABS" emblems glued onto the front brake housing. That was good for a smile.
post #10 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 6:39 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrickland55
If I remember correctly, the guy on the GT was the only one to do the figure 8.
And one handed, too. I'd have done it on an LT, if one of y'all would have loaned me yours.

It can be done, if you are comfortable and confident on the LT and know your own limits.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 6:42 pm

Hey Ken, You have to understand Al is old and has a hard time keeping it up.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #12 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 8:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent86
Has anyone taken the LT through the Experienced Rider Course? I've taken the course on an RT and a GS, but worried the LT would wear me out and I'm not sure I could do those figure 8 boxes on the beast.
Yes took it on my LT a couple years ago. Recommend it highly. Yes the morning was a challenge for me but by the afternoon I was running circles around some of the other bikes.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #13 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 8:53 pm

I recently did the ERC on my 2K LT. It was a piece of cake when I followed all the advice I got from you guys. U-Turns weren't a problem when I remembered to look over my shoulder to where I wanted to go. The instructor should take you through all the "baby steps" to allow you to do it with confidence.

My advice - Take the course!!!

Jim
-------------------
2000 Canyon Red K1200LT (new to me)
1980 Susuki 850GL (given to my brother)
post #14 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 11:23 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Hey Ken, You have to understand Al is old and has a hard time keeping it up.

It really hit home to me how many folks are riding well above their means when I was coming in to the Gatlinburg CCR. We were following a couple of LTs, and one guy in particular could barely keep the bike in between the painted lines. The road was rather twisty but the speeds were slow, and this guy clearly had no concept of cornering lines, countersteering, speed control, braking, or even how to lean into a corner. I was actually scared for him, and his passenger.

It doesn't matter if it's a Beemer, Hog, or SuperSports bike - just because you can afford it, doesn't mean that you have the skills to ride it.

Since then, I've ridden with various groups over the years. Sometimes I'm up front playing, and sometimes I'm hanging in the back. When I see someone who's clearly not comfortable on the bike, I'll try to initiate a polite but gentle conversation about rider skills, and suggest a local training course. Usually they're aware of their limitations and appreciate the input and advice. Not always, but usually.

I still remember the time that a well-known LT group was playing on some local mountain roads and had stopped for a break at a rural market. Suddenly the "leaders" decided it was time to go riding again, so they suited up and took off in quite a hurry. I finished up my mentoring conversation and suited up. Just then the newbie pulled up alongside me and said that he had absolutely no idea where in the heck he was. I didn't either, but I did have a gps so we managed alright.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 16 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 10:47 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman10
How big are the boxes? How much space do you have?
28'X64' for the ERC, the BRC box is a little smaller. 24'/20'X60'. Like all things that you do well, it take the above mentioned "Practice, Practice, Practice"

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!
post #16 of 16 Old Oct 20th, 2008, 4:00 pm

28' is fairly easy. 24' I can do regularly. 20' I can hit occasionally. It does take practice and proper technique. One of our coaches likes to stress that "practice make permanent". So you have to use the good techniques to make the skills work properly. Several of the Southeastern guys took an ERC last year I think on their LTs and all had a good time and no problems.

Go for it. If you are uncomfortable at first, don;t let yourself get into a dropping situation. It's not "life or death" on the range. the figure 8 box is a "convenience skill" more than a lifesaver. Do the best, practice, and try to not get yourself into a tighter situation than you are comfortable with.

Randy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in