What tools are most needed for 30km service of '05 LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 8:39 pm Thread Starter

What tools are most needed for 30km service of '05 LT?

I'm Chester and this is my first post and first time BMW owner, an '05 LT. It's a truly wonderful bike, bought it last July with less that 18,000 miles and have nearly 24,000 now. I look for excuses to ride it!

I recently bought a Clymer Service Manual as I take pride in ownership and prefer to do my own maintenance now that warranty has expired.

What tools will I need to perform a 30km service on my pride and joy? Any suggestions on sizes and types would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 9:29 pm

Re: What tools are most needed for 30km service of '05 LT?

Welcome and congratulations on your new ride. I bought my '05 in july also. I'm getting ready to do it's first 6k maintance, so I interested in seeing what others recommend for tools and such. Where did you get the Clymer's manual?
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 10:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Chester.. welcome aboard!

I also have the '05 model.

For "basic services" there are a few tools..
- a 14mm allen wrench or "driver"...for removing the Gearbox (transmission) drain plug... (I cut a 14mm allen wrench with my dremel tool to make it short enough to reach the plug and put a 14mm wrench to turn it.)
- "torx" / star wrenches to remove the "tupperware" bolts/screws
- 10mm wrench open/closed (combo)
- Phillips screwdriver

All you "need" will be in the tool kit if you have one. If not, I'll take a picture of the tools I carry if that will help.

Clymer usually has a "list" of tools somewhere in the book... perhaps they omitted on this model.

EDIT- some folks are of the mindset that all it takes is a Credit Card to fix the problems.... it saves space in your storage, too.

As for replacing the air and fuel filters, you'll need a big , hugemongous pair of "slip joint" pliers. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...8915_200308915 this is useful in removing the nut holding the fuel pump and filter in the tank... check out the Clymer for this step, you're gonna have fun with it..

oh.. don't forget to gather all the old cooking pans and pots from the kitchen for collecting the "bike blood" (we can't call it "OIL" here)

Happy wrenching!

oh.. keep your computer up and running... try to find someone on this site who lives nearby who has done this sort of insane behavior before... misery loves company... or just post questions here.

I hope you have a place you can get the bike out of the weather, too... you'll appreciate that should your "service" take longer than you plan... and you have to leave bike in a bit of "disarray"...

Check out the "files" area... it's listed on the top of the website... look for "tupperware" file.. there are a couple... download them... they can be quite entertaining.

Oh.. don't forget to plan a celebration afterward!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cfell; Oct 16th, 2008 at 10:11 pm.

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 6:53 am

Depending on where in Illinois you are there is a good chance that some one with an LT is in your neck-o-the-woods or corn fields as the case maybe.

I know their are some by St. Louis, several around Chi-town and a few of us along the Chedder head border. (Wisconsin for you southern folks).

happy wrenching

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 7:36 am

Welcome Chester

In the future you'll want a torque wrench, a "Feeler gauge" metric.
Torx set, Allen/ hex wrench, I just purchased a set of T-Handle from Sears, because they are the longest I could find. I also have a set of hex sockets, and a set of torx sockets.

Something you may consider is a cable tie tool, there are many ties on the LT, you will be removing and replacing often.

Don't forget you also need a phillips screwdriver for the front turn signal lights.

Paul Sayegh cd is most helpful for regular maintainence.

HTH

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 9:30 am

I just did the fule filter and air filter its a pain in the ass but then again I am not a very good wrench. I have the dvd by paul sayegh watched it a few times and just did it.

It took me two good days mainly I am kinda lazy stopped to play golf and have a few beers and just sat and looked at the master minds that put the Lt together man they must have better drugs over there.

Any way have fun.

VanO
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 8:32 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies as they are very helpful. I bought the Clymers manual online at Clymers.com. I've read articles about the Paul Sayegh dvds and think that will be my next purchase.
I live in the very southern part of Illinois so riding season can extend well into December. With heated grips and seats that could be even longer. The closest dealership is 'Grassroots' in Cape Giradeau, Mo. then 'Gateway' at St. Louis. I've seen two other LTs on the road but have not been able to contact anyone as of yet.
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 8:37 am

Cell phone and a DSL connection for when you run out of altitude, ideas and air speed.

B D R
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 2:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vano
I just did the fule filter and air filter its a pain in the ass but then again I am not a very good wrench. I have the dvd by paul sayegh watched it a few times and just did it.

It took me two good days mainly I am kinda lazy stopped to play golf and have a few beers and just sat and looked at the master minds that put the Lt together man they must have better drugs over there.

Any way have fun.

VanO
LOL sounds like my kind of wrenching

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #10 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 4:57 pm

Beer.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #11 of 11 Old Oct 19th, 2008, 11:56 pm Thread Starter

Wow, I've gotten a veritable cornucopia of excellent tips, tricks and hints to keep me busy the whole winter. I do keep the LT under roof when not ridden it's just that my wife is getting tired of it taking up space in the living room. I told her it we could use it as a christmas tree, she didn't see the humor in it. Just kidding! Seriously though, thanks to all for the posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in