Allow a test drive? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 6:20 pm Thread Starter

Allow a test drive?

Heres a question for you all:

If you are trying to sell an LT and someone comes and looks at it, would you allow them to test-drive it? If they lay it down (and we all know how top heavy LT's are) then they could just walk away and we would have to pay to fix the damage.
On the other hand, why would anyone want to buy something they have not test driven?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 6:29 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Allow a test drive?

I guess it depends on what kind of bike they show up on...

You will have to use your judgement. I let a friend's, friend test drive a Kaw H2 and knew exactly how it was going to end as he drove off with the side stand still down. He didn't want to buy a wrecked bike. Never again unless he shows up in all the gear and an comparable sized bike.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 6:31 pm

Cash in hand - Before - Ass in seat!

They put the full asking price in your pocket.
Then if they test drive it and crash...
Well it is their bike now isn't it?

However, if they don't like the ride, you give the money back.

That is the only policy.

I always state in my ads, No test flights.

Now a side story:
My brother was selling a Suzuki Telifona edition GSXR.
This guy shows up in a new Acura.
He asks to test ride the GSXR and my brother lets him...
The Acura was stolen and the guy dissapeared with the bike.
Never to be seen again.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?

post #4 of 28 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 7:01 pm

+1 On the full price in hand, as well as them signing a waiver stating if they wreck it they either pay for repairs, or you keep the cash & they haul off the remains.
post #5 of 28 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 7:18 pm

Great advice, Mike.

Quote:
Cash in hand - Before - Ass in seat!
I didn't think much about it before buying my LT last July.... I KNEW I could ride... but frankly, after 20 years off the saddle, I didn't sleep much the night before I flew down to pick it up... ...and those shoulders along that country road--that first test ride--couldn't be far enough away....

I met the seller.. he offered a test ride (bike was still an hour away from our meeting point--his bank) I opted to pay him first... and ride later... I was naively confident of the bike's condition based on conversations with the owner and pictures.

I ended up being right about the bike....but, in retrospect, knowing what I know now having had the benefit of the sage advice present on this website...I would have expressed explicitly and have written in writing (endorsed by the seller) the condition of my turning over the cash: a satisfactory test ride AND transit home (300 mile ride) without mechanical problems; I think it would be appropriate to include a clause that reads, if I crashed the bike I own it, regardless of cause.

my two pesos.

Asleepless
knight
'03 LTE Titan Silver - Active Duty
'83 VF750F Interceptor White/Red - Retired
'74 MT250 Elsinore Silver - RIP
'72 SL125 Silver - RIP

BMWMOA #143933

post #6 of 28 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Money talks, BS walks.

Do ALL the paperwork.... get it notarized... but dont' submit to the commies. Don't take no fake checks! American Express checks are one option... just call the to make sure they are legal.

Have him/her buy their OWN insurance before it leaves YOUR driveway... get the agent's phone and policy numbers.

Offer to FOLLOW and provide wisdom/ guidance/ assistance on the way to it's "new home".

If all goes well, the deal is done. If he breaks it, you can help him cry over it. If he loves it, you've both got new friends.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 28 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 10:45 pm

I always tell them they must pay in full, then they can ride it. If they don't like it I'll return the cash upon the bikes safe return. This weeds out looky-lews too.

I would never guarantee anyone safe passage to their destination, but I always provide a written list of any known issues with the bike. Other issues are at buyers risk.

Lastly, these days I would not accept anything but cash. All types of MOs, cashiers checks and other bank instruments are being faked. Your bank will accept most of them, then several days later you find you've been taken. Even holding the title until it clears isn't good enough as once they have the bike, a thief could care less about a title as they will fake one of those to get rid of the bike asap. Sad but true.

Good luck!

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

post #8 of 28 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 5:54 am

+1

Only take CASH.
If the buyer can provide a check, then they can get cash.

I have had people comment, "I don't want to travel with that much cash..."
My comment, "Well then don't I will find another buyer. Oh yeah, Make sure you bring hundreds. He is my favorite inventor."

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #9 of 28 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 7:50 am

I recently purchased mine from a private seller - no test ride. I wouldn't even ask for a test ride as I would not allow it myself if I was selling it.

Inspect the bike thoroughly,and ask lots of questions. If you feel the seller is being the slightest bit deceptive - RUN!!!

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #10 of 28 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 8:45 am

I must throw in a dissenting opinion. You would have to be crazy to bring $10K in cash to meet someone you don't know to take a test drive on a motorcycle.

Just think about that...you call someone on the phone to see something you may want to buy and they tell you to come with a handful of cash for the privilege of sitting on their precious bike for a few minutes?

Maybe I'm just funny that way, but I certainly would just hang up and move on to the next ad...

post #11 of 28 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 8:57 am

I had a bank certified check...

Regardless, the major factor is trust. If you don't trust the seller, don't buy from them! It should be a pleasant experience all around.

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #12 of 28 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 9:53 am Thread Starter

Thanks,
You guys always seem to astound and amaze me with your knowledge and wisdom!
Where were you guys when I was a teenager?!

Steve
post #13 of 28 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 10:04 am

There is always the option of allowing the potential buyer to sit pillion while you drive. That way, the potential buyer gets an idea of how it runs, stops, handles, etc, without actually taking on the risk of dumping it.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #14 of 28 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 1:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantime
I must throw in a dissenting opinion. You would have to be crazy to bring $10K in cash to meet someone you don't know to take a test drive on a motorcycle.

All I can say is CWL...
Go with a friend, who will drive your car home.

H&K never leave home without it.

Visit
post #15 of 28 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 3:30 pm

I agree not to allow a test ride, however I would take the buyer for a spin for however long they needed to see and feel how the bike handled and the condition of the overall engine etc. I sold by last bike, an 89 Venture to a gal who was very happy to go with me as a passenger and as soon as we arrived back to my garage, she said, I'll take it. After the money and insurance details were in place, she rode it home.
Many years ago I let the husband of a co-worker take a drive on my 70 Norton Commando Roadster. Big mistake, I told the ass**** to just go around the block but he decided to take a longer cruise. Half an hour later he phones our house to say he piled up my new bike. $1500. in damage. So now absolutely no one drives my bike. Dealers may decide to let bikes out for test drives, but not me!!!
Take care,
Jim
post #16 of 28 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 4:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I bought mine used. After the check cleared, it was all mine. I would say no ride without cash in hand.
post #17 of 28 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 4:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I learned a lesson before I was legally old enough to drive. I was filling up my Mom's '68 Mustang whan a big 'ol Harley pulls in. The attendant (yeah, back then ya didn't have to fill your tank and they gave away stuff like water glasses and Tide...) asked if he could ride it "just around the the station lot". Dude couldn't turn it and slammed into the house next door. That image ALWAYS pops up when I'm asked if I'd turn over the reins.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #18 of 28 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 6:57 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC
My brother was selling a Suzuki Telifona edition GSXR.
This guy shows up in a new Acura.
He asks to test ride the GSXR and my brother lets him...
The Acura was stolen and the guy dissapeared with the bike.
Never to be seen again.
Seems like he should have ridden a stolen GSXR to test drive a the Acura.

There is another solution here. Just buy and sell to members on this list. Most of these guys have been around for years, and if something goes sour, you pretty much know how to find them later.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #19 of 28 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 8:10 pm

buyer: How much do you want for the bike?

me: $12,000

buyer: I would need a test drive.

me: Certainly, all you have to do is leave a deposit.

buyer: How much is the deposit?

me: $12,000

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #20 of 28 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 11:25 pm

Wow, you guys are brutal - or I am naive.

My first BMW was purchased without test drive. Found out afterwards that it had a bent wheel and a warped rotor. No recourse.

Since then, I have test-ridden all subsequent 4 machines I bought. For most, I have traveled/flown hundreds of miles but I was prepared to drop the deal if I could not try the machine. And, from a buyer's perspective, I would not hand in $12K without getting the title - if you are so distrustful, what's the guarantee that I can get the cash back if I don't like the bike?

Conversely, every bike I sold was test-ridden as well. It's only fair.

I think that ultimately it comes down to some trust in people. If you have a bad feeling about the other party, do not allow a test ride. But on the other hand, if I cannot check out the bike, I know that I am not in a hurry - I can always find another.

YMMV.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #21 of 28 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:17 am
Lifetime Supporter

I'm not saying "drive away and deal is done". I would agree to ride bike to the mechanic of their choice if I can STAY with the bike and give them an hour to look it over.

If mechanic doesn't spot defects, tell the guy/gal... "ok, if you ride the bike less than 100 miles within 24 hours of doing the sale and decide you do NOT want it, I will take it back if it is not damaged." I offer to follow while they ride it... if they don't like it, I will give a refund and take the bike back.

yeah, a 100 miles seems like a lot, but I figure it's worth it in case of dispute.

Otherwise, take your chances.... or trade it in... or donate it to someone.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #22 of 28 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 3:08 pm

To ask for the full purchase price in cash just to test ride will eliminate most buyers. Do you really want to sell it? I wouldn't do it. Like someone said earlier to show up at a stranger's house with a wad of cash is asking for disaster.

Get the potential buyer's MC insurance card and license and hold enough cash to cover the deductible. Not perfect but you should be OK.

Redrider
2000 K1200LT
2003 K1200RS

post #23 of 28 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 7:14 pm

Before I bought the Stahlross, I spoke with the guy half an hour to find out about the bike. I made an offer and he offered the test ride. He wanted cash; discounted for the interest on the loan. Done deal in a week.

When I sold the Sporty, had a good half-hour talk with a potential buyer and he went for a ride. He didn't buy it, but lucky me, it all came back in one piece and I made a friend.

It depends on the relationship you establish as a potential buyer or seller.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #24 of 28 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 7:30 pm

I've never done a test ride on any bike I have bought. I either knew the owner/bike or it was in warrantee and all I did was start it up. Even flew 1400 miles to pick up my '05 LT sight unseen.

Selling - another story cash in hand provisional purchase agreement signed protecting both parties 1st page of full agreement. Once accepted execute full purchase agreement.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

post #25 of 28 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 8:51 pm

I always plan on spending plenty of time with a prospective purchaser before I sell a bike. I think it builds a level of confidence and trust with them that what you are selling is good stuff. Any defects are pointed out in advance. If he wants to buy it he must:

1. Pay in full in cash. Absolutely no checks of any kind - no American Express checks, no Bank checks, none. If he doesn't want to handle cash for security reasons a bank wire transfer is the only other option available for payment.

2. I give him a bill of sale dated, purchase price noted, VIN, signed by me. Also noted in capital letters: SOLD AS IS.

3. I always have the title signed and notarized prior to the sale so that I can give it to him on the spot. This is of course a document that must be kept in my home safe once notarized.

4. At this point it is his responsibility to make sure he has a motorcycle driver's license (if required) and insurance since HE NOW OWNS the bike!

I give him a written copy of this arrangement before he rides off that we both sign:

The motorcycle is now legally HIS and he may take a 30 minute test drive to decide if he wants to keep it. If he doesn't and returns it undamaged I give him his cash back, he gives me the title back, and I tear up the bill of sale. If he paid by wire transfer I reverse it. Any type of damage voids this agreement and there will be no refund given.

Most importantly I ALWAYS have a witness watching over the whole process, and I encourage the buyer to bring one as well.

Having sold about 30 used motorcycles this way I've never had any problems. I also bring along one of the bill marking pens to verify that the currency is real - $3.00 at your local office supply store.

What's the old Reagan saying.... Trust but verify.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #26 of 28 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 9:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
I always plan on spending plenty of time with a prospective purchaser before I sell a bike. I think it builds a level of confidence and trust with them that what you are selling is good stuff. Any defects are pointed out in advance. If he wants to buy it he must:

1. Pay in full in cash. Absolutely no checks of any kind - no American Express checks, no Bank checks, none. If he doesn't want to handle cash for security reasons a bank wire transfer is the only other option available for payment.

2. I give him a bill of sale dated, purchase price noted, VIN, signed by me. Also noted in capital letters: SOLD AS IS.

3. I always have the title signed and notarized prior to the sale so that I can give it to him on the spot. This is of course a document that must be kept in my home safe once notarized.

4. At this point it is his responsibility to make sure he has a motorcycle driver's license (if required) and insurance since HE NOW OWNS the bike!

I give him a written copy of this arrangement before he rides off that we both sign:

The motorcycle is now legally HIS and he may take a 30 minute test drive to decide if he wants to keep it. If he doesn't and returns it undamaged I give him his cash back, he gives me the title back, and I tear up the bill of sale. If he paid by wire transfer I reverse it. Any type of damage voids this agreement and there will be no refund given.

Most importantly I ALWAYS have a witness watching over the whole process, and I encourage the buyer to bring one as well.

Having sold about 30 used motorcycles this way I've never had any problems. I also bring along one of the bill marking pens to verify that the currency is real - $3.00 at your local office supply store.

What's the old Reagan saying.... Trust but verify.
Lotsa good sensible stuff here! Thanks, and unless you have a copyright on this, I'm keeping a copy of it in Word . . . just in case someone talks me out of the Stahlross.

Curt

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #27 of 28 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 7:20 am

In this day and age it's difficult to trust people. With that being said you have to go with gut instinct.

I bought my LT from a forum member ( Big E ) this past February. I lurked around and looked at several bikes and then we emailed and spoke by phone. Flew down with a certified bank check and trusty sidearm. Then met one of the nicest guys I've ever met. Never test rode it because I knew all about the bike for two months before I bought it. He picked me up from the airport and I felt comfortable instantly. By the way, had some great Po'boys for lunch outside Baton Rouge. Haven't looked back yet.

It comes down to not trusting initially.....and taking time to do your research. I agree with most that I would have a difficult time allowing a test ride. Some say ask to hold on to their DL. I'm an officer and have had fake DL's fool me. Same goes for a check or credit card. The best option is to drive it to a mechanic of their choice and split the cost of the examination.

Other than that.............always trust the gut instinct.

I'm more than happy with my purchase and never test rode it.

Syd
Dallas, Texas
'05 K1200LT Graphite ( Big E's former ride )
post #28 of 28 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 11:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller

[i][b]The motorcycle is now legally HIS and he may take a 30 minute test drive to decide if he wants to keep it. If he doesn't and returns it undamaged I give him his cash back, he gives me the title back, and I tear up the bill of sale.
Couple of questions:
You've already signed over the title (even though it's in your pocket.) If he decides he doesn't want it, how what do you do about the title that's now in someone else's name?

I don't see a document that's referred to as "this arrangement."

Custom sig temporarily unavaiulable while I think about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in