Tell Me Again Why I Would Want to Own A BMW.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 4:21 pm Thread Starter

Lightbulb Tell Me Again Why I Would Want to Own A BMW....

Was riding the other day and the K1200LT just up and quit.No warnings,No signs or indications anything was wrong. Just quit. After spending two hours by the side of the road waiting on a tow,(and THREE BMW's passing by and waving,and not stopping to lend a hand or see if I needed help), I was given the opportunity to spend 150.00 to get it home.
I put it on my trailer and took it to the dealer in PA.,who informed me that it was the starter motor and it would cost approx. $2200.00 to fix it. It seems the labor is $70.00/hr.,and it is going to take 16 hrs. to replace the starter because it is located inside the transmission. Not to mention a $500.00 starter!
My Harley never left me stranded. If I even pulled over to pee on the side of the road, I had 17 other Harley Riders stopping to help,and offering to go home and get their trailer and come pick me up.
Sooooooo...... anyone want to buy a mechanically superior motorcycle with a minor problem starting.
ME....I'm going back to the Harley dealer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 4:27 pm

Re: Tell Me Again Why I Would Want to Own A BMW....

BeemerDreamer....my starter went out on my 99LT last summer when I was at the ROT rally in Austin, TX....I called Lone Star BMW and told them about it, took it in and they said it was an 8 hour job. Yes it was frustrating, but it didn't cost 2200. I got out for 1500..... I had tore the bike down myself trying to get at the starter and got to a point where you had to have lifts and basically break the bike in half. I feel your pain though...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1999 K1200LT since April 2006
2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Nov. 1999-April 2006
post #3 of 39 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 4:39 pm
Gold Supporter

Hey Beemer Dreamer,

Sorry for your problem. FYI were you aware that the international sign that you need help is to set your helmet on the ground behind your bike? I have always been told it was the international sign, but everyone I mention it to has never heard of it.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 39 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 4:55 pm

What year is your LT? I guess out of warranty. Things happen and when you are dealing with used vehicles, things will break.

I recall in 96 we got 7, 97 Harleys, within 3000 miles 3 needed motors. I understand your frustration, but not all vehicles are perfect.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #5 of 39 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 4:56 pm

I've never heard of that either!

If I get stranded on side of the road, you'll see me calling a friend on this Forum first, then I can try the helmet trick, then I hope I can restrain myself from setting the bike on fire!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #6 of 39 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 4:56 pm

OK, I'll tell you again.

The LT, or any BMW for that matter. IS a superior ride...
Just ride another brand, Especially an HD and you'll know the difference.

Now that I've said that. You'd also better be a pretty freakin good mechanic or have some pretty deep pockets because when they break down, It can get expensive.

Mostly they don't but they all do to at one time or another.

I've heard that the starter and sprag clutch are the hardest jobs on the LT.

I wouldn't wish that one on anyone.

Good Luck,

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #7 of 39 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 5:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
---------------------------
I've heard that the starter and sprag clutch are the hardest jobs on the LT.
------------------------------------------
John
The starter does require some work, as the transmission has to be removed.

The sprag clutch however, is a MUCH more involved task. For that, the transmission and clutch assembly have to be removed, then the back of the engine lowered and the intermediate housing removed.

I removed my engine completely to replace the sprag clutch. Not a job for the faint of heart. Yes, I think this is by far the most involved single job that can be done on the LT.

I had visions of someone putting a sprag clutch down as the first part on the assembly line, then the bike built around it.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 39 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 5:05 pm

Tell Me Again Why I Would Want to Own A BMW....

Because a BMW handles way better than a HD?

Sorry to hear of your problems.
I have even stopped to see if rat bike Harleys needed help.

Yeah, put your helmet on the pavement. Not everyone knows this is a distress signal but some do. Pass it on.... if you see a bike stopped by the side of the road, check on 'em.

I have stopped to see if they needed help only to out they were making a phone call, checking oil level after a recent oil change, easing the springs (you gotta be Navy to know that one)....

It is kinda nice. Stop to see if a motorcyclist by the side of the road needs help. They say: "No, I just stopped to piss." But they thank you for checking on them and you feel good. I highly recommend it.
post #9 of 39 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 5:26 pm

I was slowing down to assist a biker on the side of the road, only to discover a LPO shooting a radar gun at traffic. I later met the officer and he remembered the incident. We both had a laugh.

I have pulled over for many riders, none needing help, I'll look for the helmet on the ground in the future, but I'll probably stop anyway. Unless they signal me on!

As far as BMW, anything with a motor will and can break. I feel your pain though, and I refuse to add up the bills for maintenance and repairs. If I did I would want to sell it. But I have learned to do much of it myself. Most parts come from LTParts.com, or Beemerboneyard, except for a few.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #10 of 39 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 5:30 pm

Yes, working on these bikes is a lot more difficult than working on an HD.

Also working on a 1980 Dodge is more complicated than working on a 2008 BMW, doesn't mean the Dodge is better. An HD uses 1950 technology, so u see my point. All mechanical parts break down, the LT probably breaks down much less than the HD. For sure though the LT will last a lot longer. I've never seen an HD with 70k+ miles without a new engine or major engine work.

No for BMW riders not helping - this I can believe. HD riders are definitely more of a "community". They hang out at bars together and dress the same, etc.
post #11 of 39 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 5:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hope you enjoy your new HD.

When I went shopping for a new HD in 2000, the local HD dealer had a flat rate of $100 and the local BMW dealer was $60.

Mixed in with a lot of BAD attitude from the local HD dealer, excuses about the paint they scratched fixing my 87 HD, selling me the incorrect parts, not completing all the work I had scheduled to have done and insisting I wait another two weeks for an appointment, telling me that the new HD engines had a lot of reliability issues so I had better buy an extended service contract, etc, I just gave in and agreed that I wasn't the type of person they wanted to own one of their MCs. And, at the time, I had to give them a deposit, and in around 12 months they'd call me if anything similar to what I wanted to buy was due to be shipped to them, they'd give me a call. Of course, it wasn't at a set price--it had to be at whatever price over MSRP they would sell for at that time. If I didn't want whatever came in, somebody else did!

If I didn't buy my LT then I would have fought with Honda dealers for a GW.
I can still remember the fresh young face that cheerfully greeted my wife and I when we rode to a local Honda Dealer to look at a GW--"Yo Dude!"

For some reason, they couldn't have cared any less when I balked at agreeing to buying one before taking one for a test ride.
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Last edited by BecketMa; Oct 16th, 2008 at 5:53 pm.
post #12 of 39 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 5:53 pm

Please GO!
post #13 of 39 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 5:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveno
......No for BMW riders not helping - this I can believe. HD riders are definitely more of a "community". They hang out at bars together and dress the same, etc.
Within the BMW community, I'll bet that any Airhead rider stopped by the side of the road will never be passed by another Airhead rider. That BMW community has strong ties. The more modern BMW community has been adulterated by the HD and Honda converts.
post #14 of 39 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 7:35 pm Thread Starter

The problem appears to be with the dealers.My wife was @ a Harley dealer this weekend testing for the state of Md. for their RIDERS EDGE instructional program,and the owner had his Lamborghini parked in front. All the Harley IDIOTS were standing around drooling and complimenting the turd on his cage,when my wife pulled up on her Ducati S4RS.She parked right next to it,and after taking off her helmet said loud enough for all to hear " next time you guy's pay $40.00 for a bolt or $2500.00 for 4 more horsepower remember what you are really paying for!" The look on his face was priceless,and he left about 10 minutes later.( probably afraid a riot would break out.) I have owned 2 Road Kings and both had over 80k miles with only normal maintenance. there is no waiting list now,the market is flooded with them. We may all look the dress the same but we don't ALL hang out at bars.But the old argument about Harley vs. The Other Guys is mundane and ignorant. It's all about the journey not the bike.
post #15 of 39 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 8:02 pm
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerlimo
Please GO!
Wow and on your 4th post no less...I'm underwhelmed.

I went back to an HD Ultra due to my LD touring and the lack of dealerships around the country. I was always worried my FD would take a dump on me or like in your case something worse. I know where ever I break down, IF I break down, there will be an HD dealership within 50 miles and anyone who can work on a motorcycle can work on an HD...and do it along side the road without two hours labor on tupperware. There are times I miss the LT, but like BeamerDreamer said "It's all about the journey not the bike" When I got off my original Ultra I had a lot of friends from the Harley Group that I still road with who I took a lot of good natured ribbing from and now that I am back on a Harley I am getting it from the life long friends I made right here on this list. I stay on this list because of the people and it was partly because of the Harley people that I was anxious to get back to one, so I can honestly tell you it ain't the ride. Stick around no matter what you ride next and don't listen to the Johnny come latelys from any brand telling you to go. If it is on two wheels I will ride with you, I will stop and check on you and offer any assistance I can if I see you along side the road, and I will raise a glass to you and with you given the chance. Don't go, just ride what you want and will make you happy and comfortable...I do.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #16 of 39 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 9:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
Stick around no matter what you ride next and don't listen to the Johnny come latelys from any brand telling you to go. If it is on two wheels I will ride with you, I will stop and check on you and offer any assistance I can if I see you along side the road, and I will raise a glass to you and with you given the chance. Don't go, just ride what you want and will make you happy and comfortable...I do.
Well said! A recent experience in Mexican Hat Utah, population about 4, had myself on an LT, my bud on his wing, and a club patch flyin' hard core couple on an older HD of some kind. We all ended up sippin' beers well into the night at the Swingin' Steak Steakhouse. One of the best nights ever! Funny, our conversation was more about the rides than the bikes.

The differences between all of us is what makes it interesting.

Good luck whatever you choose.

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

post #17 of 39 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 9:48 pm

I have owned many MC over the years this is my first and most likely my last BMW I love the ride and the power and may not be able to part with it .

But the labor intensive maintenance and lack of dealerships I have tried to preform most of the maintenance I just completed a air filter and fuel filter change and its crazy it was a pain in the ass. I should have done more research if I have I would never have made the deal for this MC.

I wanted a tourer something other than HD or honda I had the venture royal Star great machine 5 year warrenty

I don`t worry about any failures I never have I just ride and have fun it is about the journey.

Good luck

VanO
post #18 of 39 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 9:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
Hey Beemer Dreamer,

Sorry for your problem. FYI were you aware that the international sign that you need help is to set your helmet on the ground behind your bike? I have always been told it was the international sign, but everyone I mention it to has never heard of it.
Please, remove your head from helmet before helmet placement.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #19 of 39 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 10:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Please, remove your head from helmet before helmet placement.
What size hammer would I need to use, Thor?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #20 of 39 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 11:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

It's less about the bike and more about how you prefer to ride, as different bikes support different riding styles. If your style is generally laid back and hang with the group, the Harley fits the bill perfectly. I know because I've had several of them and they are superb at what they were designed for. Personally, I returned to BMW because I prefer a more aggressive style of riding and was tired of grinding off the edge of my floor boards and wallowing around corners with limited lean angle. Now, I get to grind pegs and feel solid in the corners with SWEET lean angles. Buy the bike that supports your personal definition of fun.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #21 of 39 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 11:30 pm

[QUOTE=CharlieVT]...easing the springs (you gotta be Navy to know that one)....

QUOTE]

Is this the same as pumping and dumping? If not, please elaborate so the rest of us can be nautical too.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #22 of 39 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 11:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerDreemer
Was riding the other day and the K1200LT just up and quit.No warnings,No signs or indications anything was wrong. Just quit. .... the dealer in PA., informed me that it was the starter motor and it would cost approx. $2200.00 to fix it.

Please forgive my ignorance. This not meant to be any kind of smart a$$ comment...I really don't know the answer.

How does a bad starter make the bike just stop running? Bad car starters don't affect the running capability of the car, just the ability to start the car.

Again, not meant to sound like an a$$. Just trying to get smarter in the event that this happens to my 2002 LT.

Thanks,
Glenn

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #23 of 39 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 11:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by azredline
Well said! A recent experience in Mexican Hat Utah, population about 4, had myself on an LT, my bud on his wing, and a club patch flyin' hard core couple on an older HD of some kind. We all ended up sippin' beers well into the night at the Swingin' Steak Steakhouse. One of the best nights ever! Funny, our conversation was more about the rides than the bikes.

The differences between all of us is what makes it interesting.

Good luck whatever you choose.
Love the Swing Steak house in Mexican Hat, I've visited there three out of the last four years. Each time meeting new riders, last year was a Harley tour group from Belgium. It's one of those places motorcyclist just seem to be drawn to.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #24 of 39 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 1:19 am

Tell Me Again Why I Would Want to Own A BMW....

Because you prefer to be a shepherd rather than a sheep?

Just pussin' through.
post #25 of 39 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 3:52 am

Quote:
Does this mean Harleys NEVER break down? Please don't let this colour your whole experience of BMW riders......BMW car drivers, fair enough!
Seriously though, they are all mechanical machines, these things happen and at the end of the day we're all bikers.
Simon

2006 k1200LT........my 13th!
post #26 of 39 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 6:26 am Thread Starter

No ignorance,I asked the same thing. It appears that the starter just kept turning and drained the battery.When the starter finally failed,no amount of juice would kick it over. The responc
ses to this thread are exactly why I enjoy this forum.(except for one Turd).And you are right that they all break down sooner or later.Just a bad time now financially! I tried to go on the Harley forum but I couldn't find one.Can't lay my helmet down,because I need it to protect my head while banging it on the gaurdrail.I actually am ex Navy(pecker checker). Thanks for letting me vent,and for the words of encouragement,now let me suck it up and go to the bank and then go get the old girl back on the road.
post #27 of 39 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 6:36 am

Smile Re: Tell Me Again Why I Would Want to Own A BMW....

OK here's a radical thought (and I know it's easy for me to suggest it over here in the UK) But hows about some of our local and technically able guys on the forum, put aside a day or so in a couple of weekends time to go round and help beemerdreamer tear his bike down and fix the problem. This would have two functions, first to save some hard earned money and second to restore some faith in BMW owner/riders. As I said, not much I can do from this end, however if Beemerdreamer or anybody is prepared to help, they would be welcome to use my '05 LT should they ever come over to the UK.
Anybody?

Simon

2006 k1200LT........my 13th!
post #28 of 39 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 8:21 am
Lifetime Supporter

CharlieVT is right..
I grew up on Airheads and have never passed one on the side of the road without getting an O.K. signal from the rider.
Still do it. No matter what brand it is. Even do a cloverleaf u-turn to make sure no rider is stranded.
H.D. riders always seem suprised, smile and "thanx."
BMW riders seem to expect it, with "thanx"

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #29 of 39 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 8:42 am

Quote:
Thanks for letting me vent,and for the words of encouragement,now let me suck it up and go to the bank and then go get the old girl back on the road.
Great attitude... One of my favorite sayings is "Your Chosen Perspective Changes Everything." You just proved that is true once again!

Best of luck!

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #30 of 39 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 10:39 am
Lifetime Supporter

A option might be to take off all of your tupperware instead of paying someone $70 an hour to do that.

I recently changed my flex brake lines and wound up taking a few more panels off, cleaned them up and put two coats of wax on them along with the rest of the panels. I took off my windshield, easier to clean the instrument cluster area without it, took it in the shower to get all of the bug bodies nice and soft and cleaned her up.

My bike runs much better after I wash and wax her.

While that far into her bowels, change the slave, engine and trany seals, drill the weep hole for the slave and bell housing?

I feel your pain on the repair bill. I'm collecting info on what tools and parts I'll need to take my 00 apart to replace the leaking trany seal, and while in there replace the slave, drill the hole, and replace the engine seal.

Bob Leaky Type 00

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #31 of 39 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 10:52 am

I love my LT, too, love her to death. But $2200 to replace a starter motor is pretty steep. I've bought good bikes for less than that. Hell, my '79 XS1100 cost me $1,000 and I never had a problem with it. Beemerdreemer asks a good question. Why own a BMW? Here's my answer -- I know of no better all around two up touring machine than the LT. But I have been asking myself of late if I can really afford it. I'm an okay but not great mechanic and it is not work I love. I have pretty much realized I'll have to do most of the basics myself if I want to keep the LT. But I am not prepared to deal with a failed starter motor and that means I better be prepared to deal with a big bill from my dealer. Not a happy prospect in these times. Still, and this is no reflection on those who are happy with a HD, it would not be the bike I'd choose if or when I give up on the LT. I think I'd have to go to a sport touring bike like the Honda ST, the FJR, or the Concours. Just don't want to give up the handling and power. But, as they say, never say never.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #32 of 39 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 2:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman10
Great attitude... One of my favorite sayings is
"Your Chosen Perspective Changes Everything."
You just proved that is true once again!

Best of luck!
Man you're just "full of wisdom" and "cleverness" today,
I like that and I'll remember and "use" it
This is the "stuff" that makes this such a great forum.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #33 of 39 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 2:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Man you're just "full of wisdom" and "cleverness" today,
I like that and I'll remember and "use" it
This is the "stuff" that makes this such a great forum.
I have more!!!

I'm just in a good mood today - it's Friday!!!

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #34 of 39 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 5:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Originally Posted by razman10
Great attitude... One of my favorite sayings is
"Your Chosen Perspective Changes Everything."
You just proved that is true once again!

Best of luck!

Choice... That's the tough part, based on your life experience. How much is enough?

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #35 of 39 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 5:55 pm

Quote:
If I even pulled over to pee on the side of the road, I had 17 other Harley Riders stopping to help,and offering to go home and get their trailer and come pick me up.
Hmm, so all HD riders have a trailer ready to come pick up stranded bikes? That says something to me....

-Scott

2005 LT
ARS NS7C
BMWMOA #113753
All Roads Lead To Roads...
post #36 of 39 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 6:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Was riding the other day and the K1200LT just up and quit.No warnings,No signs or indications anything was wrong. Just quit. After spending two hours by the side of the road waiting on a tow,(and THREE BMW's passing by and waving,and not stopping to lend a hand or see if I needed help), I was given the opportunity to spend 150.00 to get it home.
I put it on my trailer and took it to the dealer in PA.,who informed me that it was the starter motor and it would cost approx. $2200.00 to fix it. It seems the labor is $70.00/hr.,and it is going to take 16 hrs. to replace the starter because it is located inside the transmission. Not to mention a $500.00 starter!
My Harley never left me stranded. If I even pulled over to pee on the side of the road, I had 17 other Harley Riders stopping to help,and offering to go home and get their trailer and come pick me up.
Sooooooo...... anyone want to buy a mechanically superior motorcycle with a minor problem starting.
Having read the rest of the posts, it sounds like you have come to your senses and decided to fix your BMW rather than visit your Harley dealer.

Seriously though, you raise a good question. After owning Kawasakis for 30 years the last 17 on a Voyager XII, I asked myself the same question last year. I looked at the FJR, but it lacks cruise control. Same for the Concours 14. I have my reason for never owning a Honda again so the ST and Wing are out, and I don't care for the Wing much even if I didn't have a beef with Honda. The left basically the LT, Ultra Glide and Venture. I don't want a cruiser with bags, so the Venture is out. I test rode an Ultra and REALLY wanted to like it. I have three dealers within 25 miles and sort of like the looks of the Ultra. However, both my wife and I just could not like the Harley. It vibrated like crazy, was louder than we like, had poor wind protection, especially for my wife, didn't handle the curves very well and was pretty anemic power-wise. After having ridden both an RT and an LT a week earlier, there is no way I could have actually paid more money for a bike so archaic when compared to the LT.

So even though my dealer is 100+ miles away and the tupperware makes maintenance a royal pain, it is the RIDE that makes the LT worth it. I simply enjoy every mile. I'm aware of the FD problem, but I've simply accepted that my FD will probably fail and some point and then I'll have to decide about the LT. I've pretty much decided that the first failed FD that BMW won't fix for free, will be the last as I will sell the LT and look again for something else. I'm just hoping that this day never comes as I still see few real alternatives, especially since Kawasaki just released the joke that they are selling as the Voyager replacement. I may try the Vision, but the nearest dealer for Victory is even more distant than the BMW dealer and the looks of the Vision are pathetic. So, I keep enjoying the LT and just hoping I got one of the "good" FD units.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #37 of 39 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 6:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
I've never heard of that either!

If I get stranded on side of the road, you'll see me calling a friend on this Forum first, then I can try the helmet trick, then I hope I can restrain myself from setting the bike on fire!
I thought you had already set it on fire?!?

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #38 of 39 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 10:02 pm

[QUOTE=CharlieVT]Yeah, put your helmet on the pavement. Not everyone knows this is a distress signal but some do. Pass it on.... if you see a bike stopped by the side of the road, check on 'em.

QUOTE]

I seem to remember many years ago the AMA magazine had this suggestion about the helmet on the ground. I've always remembered it and stopped once to help a guy who had placed his helmet by the side. He had been overly optimistic on his fuel milage and as an AMA member knew about this signal. We got him back on the road and since it was late he invited us to dinner! Worked out well for all of us!

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

post #39 of 39 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 10:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Huuuuum.

Wonder if those trike people can come up with a new rear end for the LT?

Bob 0h 0h Leaky Type

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in