2002 LT value - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 7:24 pm Thread Starter

2002 LT value

HI I'm going to look at a 2002 1200LT tomorrow. the bike has about 6k on the odo and seems to have the basics even a cassette deck yuk. Well anyway I'm going to discuss trading my 2005 V-strom 1000 with 4500 miles with full Givi cases. What should I look for on the LT? Anything to be concerned about in the 2002 year model and what would a fair cash price for the LT be.
Thanks in advance
Stan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 9:59 pm

Well, kind up to you to determine how or if any of this applies....

I bought my 2002 LT, 2nd hand, with a tad over 6K on 'er from a private seller last Spring. Heated seats/grips, 6 disc changer, cassette player. Gave 10K for 'er. I've seen prices as high as 16K, many around 12-13K and only one for 9K.

Value depends on the buyer - is what it'll cost ya worth what you're getting to you.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 10:12 pm

Check out the classified section.

I think Kelly Blue Book is on line.

Bob

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 8th, 2006, 9:56 am

Aikido 73- Where are you located? I know someone with a 2004 LT that may be interested in your V-Strom! Email me at [email protected]
post #5 of 8 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 10:01 am

Talking Look For

I also bought an 02 LTC with 6K on it from Daytona. It was a local bike and in great shape. I am in Atlanta so I flew down there and rode it back with no issues. Tires are flat in the center as I hear it happens in Florida bikes, when I take a left or a right turn the tires makes noise.

I wonder when in 02 they changes the Cassete Player to the Single CD Player. Because so many of you have the cassete and mine came with the single player and 6 disc changer.

Anyway when I arrived in Atlanta I went straight to my boys at Blue Moon, the Tech took it for a ride and came back got down on his back and looked at the bottom of the engine, bottom of transmission, rear drive boot and the valve covers. Told me those are the 4 places were leaks can creep up on you on the K1200 bikes as a matter of fact the RS and GT's have the same issue, but mine was clean as it could be.

So those are the four points I would look at. The other place is the Chrome Trim and Crash Bars if they are scratched even if in the garage the bike WAS dropped.

Good luck and welcome to LT ownership. I too had an 2005 DL1000 VStrom, sold it and got my LT.

Darcy Bastos
2007 FJR1300
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic
Atlanta, GA
post #6 of 8 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 3:44 pm

Bought my 02 LTE for $14K... w/4,400 on the clock. It has GPS, CD, CB radio, and all the goodies. Based on your e-mail, I's say $11K fair
post #7 of 8 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 5:04 pm

In June, '05, I bought my '02 LTC right on this forum in pristine condition with a Garmin III GPS, J-Pegs and Autocom for $11K,even, which was the asking price. It had 5,700 miles on it......I knew a good deal when I saw one.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #8 of 8 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 7:22 pm

Question Pricing

It depends on what model it is, accessories, modifications, service interval, and how it was stored for the past four years. An LTE model that's never been in an accident with the newer final drive, a custom seat, Cee Bailey windshield, Wilber or Ohlin suspension, full cover, motolights, PIAAs, battery tender, fuseblock, HIDs, helmets with headsets, and other trim farkles too many to be named, that has had its 6K or 12K service already($1K value), newer tires, and an Odyssey battery, stored in a Southern California or Florida garage when not in use will price significantly higher than the stripped standard LT model with no accessories, no service, leaking seals from lack of regular use and original tires, left under an awning during the Minnesota winter. There are 2002 models out there worth $16K and some not worth even $8K.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in