missing thread? Stiff clutch & misc ?'s - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 1:05 pm Thread Starter

missing thread? Stiff clutch & misc ?'s

I posted a thread earlier today, it is not showing up. That is about the fourth time that has happened. WTH?

My clutch cable seems to be or getting somewhat stiff. Just curious what the cures might be, what to look for etc. 48k miles. Still easier than any other bike I have tried, but, seems to be stiffer with colder temps. Are there splines that need to be lubed, lube the cable, a throwout bearing? There is no unusual noise.

Anyone with a Clymer manual, pg 417, top left pic. Are you supposed to pull that plug and check for anything on a routine maintenance?

Did the trans oil this AM. Unable to lift the bike on the center stand due to bad back and just can not risk it.

I put in over 1/2qt of gear oil in, the bike is almost sitting straight up. I tipped it as far as I dared, and still did not see the oil where it should be.

Don't have a CC measuring canister, so not sure how much oil it needed, or if I need to add more. Manual stated not to overfill. I went with the info on the PS service DVD.

Any thoughts on proper RPM's for downshifting...having a problem only with 4th. Been that way since we got it and I rarely used 5th to begin with. Not all that bad, and I do pre-load before shifting. Be nice if it wouldn't grind.

FD gear oil is finally clean looking. Second change in 6k miles. Engine oil is filthy, ran some Sea Foam in it last 400 miles. Trans fluid looked good too.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 2:09 pm

Re: missing thread? Stiff clutch & misc ?'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave
........snip............

Did the trans oil this AM. Unable to lift the bike on the center stand due to bad back and just can not risk it.

I put in over 1/2qt of gear oil in, the bike is almost sitting straight up. I tipped it as far as I dared, and still did not see the oil where it should be.

Don't have a CC measuring canister, so not sure how much oil it needed, or if I need to add more. Manual stated not to overfill. I went with the info on the PS service DVD.
.......snip..................Thanks!
Tranny takes .63 qts, or a tic over 20 ounces. I use a baby bottle - nipple sliced open - to chug-a-lug two 8oz'ers, and then a 4 oz'er. Book does say to add tranny lube up to lower edge of filler hole. You'd need to use centerstand for that visual, butt since you can't hoist, have someone hold the bike vertical, with both centerstand legs touching down, while you check.
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 4:23 pm

Garage

the clutch is hydraulic there is no cable

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 4:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The only time I use the center stand is to work on my bike.

I have a 2 foot of 2X4 that I place against the rear tire, while sitting on the bike, I use my left foot to plant the center stand on the floor, hit the starter button while in reverse, and let the bike ride up the 2X4 and set it self on the center stand.

When the rear tire was FLAT, I used a second 2X4, made a stair out of the two, and did the same thing.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 9:41 pm Thread Starter

Gotta say, I am in so much pain from doing even this work now that it is 12 hrs later, I can barely stand myself. I feel like I was hit by a truck.

I forgot all about the 2x4 trick. I don't really have a level, protected area, to work on the bike, at least not for any period of time. Maybe an hour if I am feeling lucky. There is no cover and I am at the mercy of the wind or whatever else mother nature deals out that day.

Have to put more oil in the trans tomorrow, before the cold snap comes. Should have just filled it until I saw some. That warning not to over fill made me think twice. Good thing it is an easy job. May one one crush washer left.

I thought there was a cable that activated a reservoir for the clutch. Didn't get past my other issues today. There must be some reason it feels stiff.

Rode about ten hours the past three days, that alone about did me in.

Appreciate the advice and tips.

Thanks!
post #6 of 6 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 2:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I don't have a lift.

To help cope with laying on my garage floor I use cushions from out door chairs. Out doors, we used to lay down card board.

Bob 00LT

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in