CD Changer Removal - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 6:44 pm Thread Starter

CD Changer Removal

Can any of you tell me how to easily remove the CD changer from the right saddlebag? I do not see any way to disconnect the wires from where the wires pass through the saddlebag. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 6:59 pm

You'll leave the pigtail of wires and connector in the case, an easy way to secure them is to take some foil tape and tape it out of the way along the inside, upper perimeter. I like the foil since it comforms to the wires and does not leave a gummy residue (like duct tape, etc.) when you remove it later..

As for the CD changer - it just basically unscrews! Easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #3 of 5 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 8:46 pm

I removed my CD changer and the mounting bracket after the changer locked up. I essentially destroyed it when I took it apart to retrieve the audio book CDs that were inside (borrowed from public library so I felt some sense of obligation). I could have lived with the unconnected wires taped out of the way, but later I used the wires to connect an IceLink, which comes with an extra long cable. I didn't want my iPod, the IceLink cradle and coiled cable in the saddlebag.

I raised the driver seat and removed the passenger seat, which gave me easy access to the top inside of the saddlebag. The CD wiring passes through a rubber grommet into the saddlebag. I simply pulled the wiring back through, ziptied it neatly, and tucked it into the space beside the frame rail.

Now I had a hole in my saddlebag. No problem, I just inverted the "tail" of the grommet (which plugged the center hole) and replaced the grommet in the saddlebag wall. My right saddlebag now looks like the left; nothing to snag. No permanent changes, no wires cut.

post #4 of 5 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 11:18 pm Thread Starter

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. My CD changer is now removed!
post #5 of 5 Old Jan 8th, 2006, 12:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing2pc
Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. My CD changer is now removed!
Another option for the harness: Remove it (and its grommet) completely and install a power socket in its place -- fills the hole, and gives you convenient 12V power in the saddlebag without having to create a new hole.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in