Changing springs only. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 8:12 am Thread Starter

Changing springs only.

With 35K on the LT, I would like to beef up the rear shock. At this point, I can't swing complete shocks so am thinking of springs only. My front end has no problems as far as I'm concerned. The rear only is undersprung, and has no symptoms of the shock itself being worn out.

I would like to hear from those who have replaced springs only and what their experience is. Do new higher rate springs work well with the stock shock damping?

Thanks!

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 9:18 am

Re: Changing springs only.

I swapped springs and its a whole new bike. Hyper Pro

I was inspired by Kellenbenz who PM'd me after I proposed the same question a long time ago. He jumped in first and with his success I gave it a try.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37485

http://www.hyperprousa.com/catalog.p...INS&ordertype=

Its interesting the front shock is the most challenging to remove from the bike but the easiest to replace the spring.

The back is the opposite. I found a suspension shop which had a wall mounted spring compressor which the owner accommodated me with trying it.

I know Les schwab wouldn't allow this to happen.

I am happy I replaced the springs only saved a bunch of money and am very happy with the result.

Ian

2003 K1200LT
Aprilia Caponord

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by coug66; Oct 15th, 2008 at 9:24 am.
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 9:47 am

I just had my rear shock rebuilt and resprung at GMD Computrac. (No affiliation , no reward for new customers, no remuneration, etc.). I went with a heavier spring because I am heavier than the average bear. Kent, the gentleman I worked with, explained to me that with a heavier spring I would need to go with new valving because 1) the old valving would be worn and 2) the heavier spring would be too much for the stock valving. I went up 18% on the spring rate and it made a huge difference. I am going from memory here, but I believe Kent told me the stock spring was in the neighborhood of 950 lbs. He also told me that the springs on our shocks loose very little "spring" over the years. It is the breakdown of the oil and valves (which are nothing more than extremely thing washers acting like reed valves in a 2 stroke engine) that causes us to become unhappy with our shock's performance.

Kent did the respring, revalve, and rebuild of my shock for $453.00. Total cost. I am very happy with the results and will use him again and again. If you are interested, he is in Jasper, GA.

BTW, I don't in any way mean to obfuscate the results of those who resprung without rebuilding. I haven't tried respringing alone, and it may have worked out just as good. Our front shocks are not serviceable, so who knows, I may try it just to see. It certainly is cheaper than a new shock and well worth a try.

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 9:54 am

I too, am very pleased with the results.

I would recommend that you do both shocks. You are looking at $239 for both springs and the rear really should be off when you do the front anyway. I think that Ian and I both found that the front change made more difference than we thought it would.

When I park near other LT's with stock shocks I can see a marked difference in the distance between the front fender and the lower portion of the nose cone.

Hope that helps,

Ron

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 10:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellenbenz
I too, am very pleased with the results.

I would recommend that you do both shocks. You are looking at $239 for both springs and the rear really should be off when you do the front anyway. I think that Ian and I both found that the front change made more difference than we thought it would.

When I park near other LT's with stock shocks I can see a marked difference in the distance between the front fender and the lower portion of the nose cone.

Hope that helps,

Ron
Ron,

Do you notice any harsh rebound with the heavier springs on the stock front shock? And, how much heavier did you go?

My stock shock has 73,000 on it and I don't have any ground clearance at all, even with the newly rebuilt rear shock. I'm thinking if I resprung my front shock now, I'd just be going down the road on a pogo stick.

I'm very interested in getting some help for the front of my LT. Perhaps a low mileage used shock and a new spring would do it for me too. I don't ride the LT as much as the RT, but when I do, it's usually loaded to the max and for long duration. (We're in the middle of a 6K trip now)
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 11:52 am

I had the stock rear shock revalved and resprung on my 99 LT. It cost about $300, which is cheaper than going to Ohlins or other aftermarket (although I highly recommend Ohlins if you can swing it, made my 02 and 05 LTs awesome). You will need to find a good suspension shop that know show to work on motorcycle shocks and can set it up the way you want it. I use Lindemann Race Suspensions here in San Jose.

HTH

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #7 of 8 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 11:00 am

The front shock gave 75% of the overall suspension improvement the back was probably 25% or less. I do like that the adjuster now is set on the rear at about half. Before the preload was all the way in.

The front shock is a pain to get to but well worth the effort for stock suspension improvement.

perhaps its the progressive function of the springs that doesn't create the rebound issues but I have not had issues with rebound.

I weigh about 340 lbs so I generally ride on the lower end of most suspensions but the bike feels very capable with the new springs.
Ian

2003 K1200LT
Aprilia Caponord

post #8 of 8 Old Oct 18th, 2008, 11:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushin9s
Ron,

Do you notice any harsh rebound with the heavier springs on the stock front shock? And, how much heavier did you go?

My stock shock has 73,000 on it and I don't have any ground clearance at all, even with the newly rebuilt rear shock. I'm thinking if I resprung my front shock now, I'd just be going down the road on a pogo stick.

I'm very interested in getting some help for the front of my LT. Perhaps a low mileage used shock and a new spring would do it for me too. I don't ride the LT as much as the RT, but when I do, it's usually loaded to the max and for long duration. (We're in the middle of a 6K trip now)

Sorry I didnt see your question earlier. Absolutlely no harshness on the front or rear. I would call the ride more solid but not harsh. Hyperpro only offers the one replacement set of springs for the LT. They are heavier and are rising rate springs. They are specific to and made for our LT's.

Ron

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in