Seeking advice on what to look for in a used LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 14th, 2008, 9:13 pm Thread Starter

Question Seeking advice on what to look for in a used LT

My wife was content to ride on my RT until she sat on the neighbor's LT. Now I'm looking for an older ('99-'02) LT that I may (??) be able to afford without selling my RT. Any advice on what to look for and/or stay away from would be greatly appreciated. What is the difference between an LTC and an LTE?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 14th, 2008, 9:26 pm

Re: Seeking advice on what to look for in a used LT

I came across this while looking at my 2002 K1200LTE I just got. Some of them are standard for all LT while some are on the C and then the E only.

Standard Accessories for 2002 BMW K1200LTE

• Integral touring fairing with electrically-adjustable windshield
• Single key lock system for ignition, steering, fuel cap, cassette/storage, compartment lock, saddlebags, topcase
• Electronic engine management with automatic choke control and twin catalytic converters- diagnostic read-out via MoDiTeC
• AM/FM cassette stereo with integrated rider & passenger controls
• Adjustable rider ergonomics including seat, windshield, hand brake & clutch levers
• Hazard warning flashers
• Power accessory socket for accessories or battery charging
• Fuel and coolant temperature gauges, 12-hour digital clock
• Integrated ignition and steering lock
• Cruise control
• Heated handlebar grips
• Heated seats and passenger backrest
• Alarm system
• Extra chrome work
• Third taillight
• On Board Trip Computer
• Six Disk CD Changer
• Com system with Push-to-talk intercom front and rear
• BMW Navigator GPS
• CB radio w/ antenna
• Top-case inner bag and saddlebag inner bags
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 14th, 2008, 9:26 pm

I would say, buy a one owner with all service records, looks decent and have someone that knows the bike, look it over. Looks like some pretty decent bikes for sale on this forum. Just depends what you want to spend.

We bought not knowing a thing about any BMW bike, never even looked at one prior. Pd $7500 for a 99LT last Nov, ended up putting $4k in parts, dealer servicing and many weeks of my own time. Needed shocks $1400, tires, windshield, brakes, battery, Motolights, HID low beam (a must IMO).......long list. Trunk handle just broke, another $300. Had I any idea, I would have bought a GW or none at all.

It looked nice, ran well - so we thought, and just bought what was at the time, the only one we saw and had an opportunity to drive.

If you don't have a garage, not inclined to wrench, you need $$$$.

Other than that, it is a great bike to ride, more so two up.
Just read the posts for a few weeks. You will get a good idea what goes wrong with this model and what they cost to fix.

Best of luck in your search!

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 12:00 am

Some will say avoid low milers because they may have been sitting too much, others (like me) will say look FOR low milers as moving parts don't wear out sitting still.

On a whim, I bought a real low mile (8k) 2000 LT last year, now have 20k on it. Had done no research, just saw this one and said "I gotta have that..." Has been a great bike, no regrets.

Have previously owned many different bikes and this one is the best mix of long haul comfort and sporting handling that I've tried.

I don't worry about the "possible" mechanical failures, as with any other bike, they are just possibilities, not certainties.

Good luck, let us know what you find.
Cheers!

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 6:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

I'd look for a low mileage model of 2005 or later. You can find a nice one for a good price if you don't get in a hurry. They lose about half their value off the showroom floor as soon as you sign the papers. And like stated above, if you don't do your own wrenching, expect to spend some $$$$ keeping it on the road. If you can get one currently under warranty and get an aftermarket warranty, I'd do that. Mine would have paid for itself if I had purchased it. If you get it for the right price you shouldn't get hurt no matter what...........good luck.

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 7:06 am

I bought a '99 LT 3-1/2 years ago with 9k on the clock. I'm at 59k now with just routine maintenance, consumable items, a couple of preventive maintenance items and lots of tires!

I did replace the shock absorbers with Wilburs shocks this year, but could have gone longer without doing that.

I had the final drive bearing replaced with the new style at 17k as preventive maintenance. I don't know if I needed to do this or not, but have had no problems with the final drive.

I had the clutch slave cylinder replaced this spring as preventive maintenance. Again, no problems with clutch.

I replaced the rear brake rotor with an EBC rotor this summer for about $150.

I am now doing all my 12k and 24k maintenance items. Valve clearances needed adjusting at 48k. I think they will be good for a long time now.

I ride the bike to work most of the time - 50 mile round trip. It hasn't left me stranded and no failures of any kind - just maintenance so far!

I'm going to ride it to 100k before even thinking about something else, and I'm happy with my bike. I hope you will be too!

Good luck.

Joe

EncoreJoe

"Ride, boldly ride, ... If you seek for Eldorado!"

'10 Triumph Tiger 1050
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 9:38 am

I just recently purchased a 2000 LTC with 16K on the clock. I read a LOT on this site first, just browsing and following the threads. Doing that gave me a lot of what to look for.

I'd look at how many owners (2 max for me). Maintenance records. Garaged or not? How well does it present itself cosmetically? While not any indication of how it' been ridden it might at least tell me if it looks like it's been taken care of. Then again, aren't the cosmetics important too?

I'd put it on the center stand and check the rear wheel for play. Tires? Brakes? These are items that either have been recently taken care of or will cost you $$$ soon. That = room for negotiation to me.

Then test ride. These bikes have a lot of STUFF and you want all that STUFF to work right. So test the heated grips/seats, CB, Radio, Cassette or CD, windscreen motor etc.. You want to make sure all that STUFF works as it should. I don't see any reason to compromise here unless you already know what you're getting into to fix it.

I've been riding my 2000 for about three weeks now and I've stress tested it already. I've been very happy thus far. There's no way to tell how long the love will last but for what I paid, if I had to cough up another $2K to fix it I would. Of course, for what I paid I also kept the Vstrom in the stable.

Good luck on your search.

2000 K1200LTC (Now my Daily Ride!)
2004 Vstrom DL1000 (The Bad Boy)
2004 DRZ400 (Sad to see that one go)
2002 Vstar 650 (24000 miles)
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 8:01 pm

I picked up an '03 LTE with 15K on it in July. I am the 3rd owner.

The original owner added a number of safety and subtle cosmetic enhancements that I appreciate. I've put about 5K on it and had the 12K service completed since then. The service tech was very impressed with the bike's condition (which was comforting).

I would submit that a bike with such additions probably has had more attention to detail paid to it than a stock bike, unadorned, with equal miles.

Options the first owner added: Phased LED Brake lights; 130DB Horns; PIAA & HID Lights; #2 Cee Bailey Windscreen; Jpegs; Chrome Resevoir Covers & Clutch/Brake Levers; aftermarket torque bar; Pin striping on Top Case and Side Cases; Beemer Medalians on side cases.

So far, I'm all smiles, all the time... and it drives my SO crazy that so many people feel compelled to comment on it when I'm out riding.

Asleepless
knight
'03 LTE Titan Silver - Active Duty
'83 VF750F Interceptor White/Red - Retired
'74 MT250 Elsinore Silver - RIP
'72 SL125 Silver - RIP

BMWMOA #143933

post #9 of 11 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 8:52 pm

When you do see one that you are interested in be a good listener and when the seller is done talking...just keep listening...then listen some more. Eventually you will really hear what is wrong with the bike. I got a bit frustrated with this process and just went over to the dealer and bought a new one. Pictures on another thread 09 LT dead with 229 miles is a bummer as well. I simply paid my dues up front understanding that everything we make will fail. As mentioned earlier, make sure the previous owner maintained the service records if you are purchasing a used machine. Validate this at any BMW shop...just give them the VIN...they can look it up. If you don't maintain maintenance and there is a major problem then the dealer and BMW have the right as written in their manuals (page 2 of the Consumer Warranty book) to deny the warranty. Really tricky if you want to be an educated consumer.

Best of luck...and if you decide to buy a new one they have a great selection of black colors available...so I got black.
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 7:36 pm

Why would anyone who has the dealer do ALL the service and maintenance on their bike waste the time keeping receipts??? Then your going to run down and check to make sure the dealer really did it?????

Why not just go to the dealers and check the bikes history,,,,,,,,,,Jeeeez, This really isn't that hard to do......Pete
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 17th, 2008, 12:23 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input. Bikes with only one or two previous owners is not something I had considered before and it makes a lot of sense. Low mileage will be one criteria, although a well maintained LT that's now officially 8-10 years old with around 50,000 miles probably won't be ruled out if the price is right. Since I enjoy doing the wrenching on my RT I'll most likely do the same on the LT. Hence a good log of someone who has done their own maintenance would be acceptable, but checking with the dealer for service records for those who don't is a must do.
More ideas, suggestions and "things to avoid" will be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in