Did not bite yet!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Oct 14th, 2008, 5:20 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Did not bite yet!!!

Hi all;

I have been visiting the site almost everyday and ebay and other sites looking at some LT's ( mostly around 2004 or 2005) and 2 2006's based on the pricing and low millage!! ( I still ride my 93 K1100lt) and love it, this is the model that is bulletproof and the only thing in 14 years is the ABS light (handlebars) that flashes all the time!!( just turn the switch off!!)

The prices seem to vary quite a bit on the same years!!! From 11,500 to 16,000 for 2005's with around 14,000 miles. Hard to make a decision ( trying to get this maybe done before the winter up here in Montreal. I most likely would purchase a US bike based on the pricing on some Canadian bikes!! ( savings around 3,000 to 6,000) which is a lot to me.

Because of the low mileage on the 2005's, what would I have to look at for service and parts that would need to be replaced!!!( not oil and tires!!)

I have been looking at helmets also and most likely will choose the HJC Symax II helmets for both of us!! Just wondering if anyone has installed headsets ( what types??) and how good are they? pricing would also help.

Any help would be well appreciated!!!!
I am getting confused!!~!
Bowdon

Last edited by bowdon; Oct 14th, 2008 at 9:11 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Oct 14th, 2008, 11:44 pm

Re: Din not bite yet!!!

To me, it came down to color and options I liked, with a well documented and complete service history. I factored in the adventure of flying, buying, and riding home. Also the prior owner was a big plus, winnng my confidence right away and becoming a friend through the process, much more than just a seller.

Price was really a relatively minor factor for me, as the overall buying experience was, and owning and riding the LT is now a far wider experience and activity of which price was just one of the beginning details.

I think as a society we put to much emphasis on price, too little on the quality of the purchase over an extended time of use and ownership. I've had the same attitude when sometimes selling something for less than the maximum price the item may bring.

Choose one you like, and go for it. Owning, riding is better than shopping!

Bob Allred
Riverton, Utah
'03 K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 old Airheads & 1 Oilhead

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 9:47 am

Re: Did not bite yet!!!

I was thinking about this the other day and if I had it to do over again I would try to find a pristine K1100LT and would not have purchased my ’04 K12LT. Main reason would be the weight and price difference. The problem seams to be that the owners of these K1100s ride the $hit out of them and only sell when the bike is basically used up. Failing to find said bike I would consider an R1200RT. I thought at the time that I got the K12LT that I would be doing a lot of two up long distance riding, but strangely enough that doesn’t happen as much as it use to on the H-D.

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS

post #4 of 4 Old Oct 15th, 2008, 10:43 am

Re: Did not bite yet!!!

I'd get a model 2005 or later, since the 2005 has a few more HP, plus a digital cluster which is nice.

Ebay is a good place to buy a bike, but I usually find better deals on craigslist. This is a good time to buy a bike, as its getting cold here and the economy sucks. Maybe prices are a little lower in the colder months, like Jan.

My favorite helmet is the Nolan NCOM, I don't have a headset installed but it has the bluetooth adapter thing, plus its a modular helmet, which is a must!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in