Radio no workee - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Oct 12th, 2008, 1:19 pm Thread Starter

Radio no workee

Stopped for gas today and shut the LT off, usually leave the radio on. This time it went off, didn't think much about it until I was rolling again and went to turn it on. The display seems to come on for a very breif moment but nothing. Inter com works fine.

Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts before I start to pull it apart?

B D R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Oct 12th, 2008, 1:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Radio no workee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny
Stopped for gas today and shut the LT off, usually leave the radio on. This time it went off, didn't think much about it until I was rolling again and went to turn it on. The display seems to come on for a very breif moment but nothing. Inter com works fine.

Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts before I start to pull it apart?
Gunny,
Try a battery disconnect for a 1/2 hour or so. Don't forget to reset the Motronic system with the three full twists with the ignition off after first briefly turning it back on.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #3 of 18 Old Oct 12th, 2008, 1:28 pm

Lucky you. now you have a reason to get XM!! since buying i have never even thought about turning my radio on again.

post #4 of 18 Old Oct 12th, 2008, 2:02 pm Thread Starter

Radio and CD payer don't work. Take the cartridge out of the CD player and put it back in, it goes through its noisy routine.

Intercom and 11 mtr radio work OK.

Push the ON button and the display comes on, no BMW message, just turns orange, no message or characters of any kind and all the buttons light up. Push it again and all goes off, just the ON button is back lit.

Indicates to me that it is getting power and partially powering up.

Guess I'll check the plugs under the stingray, if all OK there, start looking for a used one.

B D R

Last edited by gunny; Oct 12th, 2008 at 6:52 pm.
post #5 of 18 Old Oct 13th, 2008, 1:26 am

No need to discinnect the battery for 30 minutes. 5 minutes will do.

This has almost come to be a routine for me.
post #6 of 18 Old Oct 13th, 2008, 8:46 am

I had the same problem a few years ago and disconnecting the battery for a few minutes would restore the radio for a while. This became more and more frequent until I replaced the battery. My radio would power up fine until I started the engine, then it would go off and not come back on except for the display backlight. Disconnecting the battery is quick and easy and would be the first thing I would do if I had radio problems. Again, don't forget to do the TPS reset.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #7 of 18 Old Oct 13th, 2008, 6:15 pm Thread Starter

Going to try to pull the radio fuse for a couple of minutes and see what happens.

I'll post results.

Right now supper is ready, spaghetti with home made bolganese sauce, my favorite. You can tell my bride is a good cook just by looking at me.

B D R
post #8 of 18 Old Oct 13th, 2008, 6:50 pm

There are multiple power inputs to the radio, the fuse doesn't remove all power from the radio. You have to disconnect the battery to remove all power and reset the radio. DAMHIK

Alan Stuber
Austin, Texas

post #9 of 18 Old Oct 13th, 2008, 7:34 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Just got my radio back from Beckers of North America $300 for main board ouch was down to one speaker and now all work fine 2004 Lt With CD.
post #10 of 18 Old Oct 13th, 2008, 8:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddle-man
Just got my radio back from Beckers of North America $300 for main board ouch was down to one speaker and now all work fine 2004 Lt With CD.
do you have the radio/tape player or radio/cd player? if radio/cd player what is their address to send in units?
post #11 of 18 Old Oct 13th, 2008, 9:13 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Becker Of North America 650 East Crescent Ave Upper Saddle River NJ 07458 201-961-1300 Call first and tell them what's wrong with radio.
post #12 of 18 Old Oct 14th, 2008, 5:48 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

Dat did it!

Unhooked the ground, lubed my throttle cables, they were getting sticky, hooked the ground back up and got jams again.

B D R
post #13 of 18 Old Oct 14th, 2008, 6:14 pm

Saddle-Man did they say how long it might last? They told me it would be $400 and there was a 6 week back log for parts. It is the main board that's bad according to them. I still have two speakers working for now.
post #14 of 18 Old Oct 14th, 2008, 8:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny
Thanks guys.

Dat did it!

Unhooked the ground, lubed my throttle cables, they were getting sticky, hooked the ground back up and got jams again.
Glad you can jam again. You might need to think about replacing the battery soon.

Alan Stuber
Austin, Texas

post #15 of 18 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 7:18 pm

Just finished reading this tread and my radio on my 05 lt works again. Thanks to all who posted.
post #16 of 18 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 5:04 pm

I have two related questions...first is mine seems to have a mind of its own. There have been times when I have turned off (or attempted to turn off) the radio. I press the On button and the display goes away, but the radio keeps playing. I press On again and the display comes back. How in the heck do I turn the radio off? My battery is an oddessy(sp?) gel and it is about 3 yrs old.

It's not often that I want to turn it off, and usually I just turn it all the way down. but surely I'm doing something wrong. Honestly, I'd hate to RTFM, that's a last resort (which would probably make sense).

Second, this TPS reset. I have never heard of it. I had my battery out for a couple of days just a while ago, and put it in and rode the bike. I didn't do a TPS reset. Do I turn on the ignition and twist the throttle three times? And what does this accomplish? Will it help my idle which sometimes seems to bounce around?

Scott

2008 Concours
St. Louis MO
post #17 of 18 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 8:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLHeadake
Second, this TPS reset. I have never heard of it. I had my battery out for a couple of days just a while ago, and put it in and rode the bike. I didn't do a TPS reset. Do I turn on the ignition and twist the throttle three times? YES And what does this accomplish? Will it help my idle which sometimes seems to bounce around? and YES
See above

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #18 of 18 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 2:44 pm

Now it is $400 and the board is not available for another month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddle-man

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in