BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Greetings and a question for big and tall guys

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  kk610lt 
#1 ·
Greetings all! This is my first post here. I've been over at ADV Rider for a long time and some of you know me as raindog over there but that was already taken.

anyway I've recently been diagnosed with some nerve and spinal injuries which are going to limit my riding to on road only and in as still a pocket of air as I can create.

I was thinking that the K1200 might be a good choice for me with available back support and larger aftermarket fairings.

I am 6'6" and 250 lbs. I have a 32 inch inseam so a lot of my height is in my torso.

I'm just looking to hear from some of you taller folks regarding the comfort of the LT for you. I've had in the past an GS adventure, Triumph tiger, slash 7 and r100 rt

I sat on a wing a few days ago and was surprised how little room it offered.
any way thanks in advance for any info.
cheers
David

#4 ·
I have a backrest, Air Hawk seat pad and XL JPegs all of which seem to make for a comfortable ride. I am about the same height and weight but have a longer inseam. I tend to shift my feet and legs while riding longer distances from the bikes foot pegs to the JPegs and back. I have noticed my engine temp goes up when I have my legs up blocking the air on the side ie. I have my feet on the JPegs. I have been able to travel a lot longer with the LT as opposed to an RS I had before getting stiff and sore.

#5 ·
I'm 6'4'' @ 235.............difference there is I have touch more inseam......
The K1200LT is a little on the tall side and top heavy at parking lot speeds but the weight really disappears as soon as you have your feet on the pegs.

Comfort wise it can not be beaten; period............it's sort of fun to get around the H-D guys and show them how to balance a nickle on the console and then run the tach up to about 3000RPM. :dance:

#6 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. sounds like the LT is probably what i should be looking at. probably will need to try and pick up an 06,07 model. Any thing special to be on a lookout for as far as well known issues. i guess I'll be loking for remaining warranty given the final drive issues.

My nearest dealer is a couple of hours away but I'm hoping to go tire kick in a couple of weeks. i remember sitting on one in 2002 and just thinking..wow..that is comfy :D

#7 ·
I'm 6'5" 235, little longer inseam.. I tried the wing and was told for about an extra $3,000 I could get it to fit me better..
I love the LT.. There is lot's written here about negative issues (FD, Clutch, Low speed handling etc.)
I still cannot think of another tourer I would rather own.
By the way, coming from a GS you are used to being able to really lean in to turns.. If you lower the pegs on the LT, be ready to scrape them.. It's initially very comfortable to "unbend" the knee, but the pegs hitting on turns drove me crazy.. I have XL J-Pegs and the standard original foot pegs and did a 4,285 trip in Late Aug, no problem.
I am curious about one thing, why not just keep the GS and not ride "off road"? My older GS has a pretty smooth ride on the black top..

#8 ·
My inseam is a little longer and I am a little lighter in weight than you (I'm 6'4" and 220 lbs).

I have XL j-pegs, bak up backrest, suburban machinery peg lowering mounts and a seat from an 03 K1200LT. Each was important, but the seat was the last piece to make it comfy for me. Take any one of the pieces out and it is not anything I care to do any more than a couple-three hours on. Replace the seat with the original comfort touch seat and my a#s sure hurts! I also have a Cee-Baileys #2 -0. The #2 +2 was taller and gave more wind protection, but with riding clothes (aerostitch 1 piece), it was too hot behind it, with no wind on my body.
Happy Trails!

#9 ·
justlookin said:
I'm 6'5" 235, little longer inseam.. I tried the wing and was told for about an extra $3,000 I could get it to fit me better..
I love the LT.. There is lot's written here about negative issues (FD, Clutch, Low speed handling etc.)
I still cannot think of another tourer I would rather own.
By the way, coming from a GS you are used to being able to really lean in to turns.. If you lower the pegs on the LT, be ready to scrape them.. It's initially very comfortable to "unbend" the knee, but the pegs hitting on turns drove me crazy.. I have XL J-Pegs and the standard original foot pegs and did a 4,285 trip in Late Aug, no problem.
I am curious about one thing, why not just keep the GS and not ride "off road"? My older GS has a pretty smooth ride on the black top..
I no longer have the Adventure. I was never able to fix the buffeting on the adv although i got close with some tobinators etc. I basically need to keep as much air off my helmet and take the pressure off of my neck while riding if i want to continue to ride and figured the LT would provide more coverage and create as still a pocket of air as possible and still keep me on two wheels.

#12 ·
6'3" long legs, Rick Meyer seat set up tall, backup backrest, can run a full tank dry. Definitly need some foot pegs, just haven't decided yet what to do.
Ran in from Guelph, ON in 3.5 hours with a border crossing (Detroit), and jumped off the bike and rode up north for 5 hours in the car with sweety. Can't think of another bike that I get off refreshed after hours of riding.

#13 ·
6'7" here with a 2005 K1200LT. Bought the bike used in March 2008 and it was not a good fit. So, in the last seven months I have added the following:

1. $450-Russell Day-Long Seat (wider, firmer and 1.5" higher)
2. $112-Alaskan Leather Sheepskin with enclosed gel pad (raises me another +1")
3. $360-Bakup driver's backrest
4. $300-Mick-O-Pegs
5. $160-Suburban Peg lowering kit
6. $86 - Laminar Lip for windshield

Total: $1,468

I'm finally comfortable. The secret for the riders with 36+ inseams is that no bike seems to be out there which does not require aftermarket help to get comfortable. The problem I have with the design of the LT is that it does not allow for handlebar risers. I wish my grips were a little higher and back an inch.

#14 ·
EastTexasRider said:
6'7" here with a 2005 K1200LT. Bought the bike used in March 2008 and it was not a good fit. So, in the last seven months I have added the following:

4. $300-Mick-O-Pegs

I'm finally comfortable. The secret for the riders with 36+ inseams is that no bike seems to be out there which does not require aftermarket help to get comfortable. The problem I have with the design of the LT is that it does not allow for handlebar risers. I wish my grips were a little higher and back an inch.
thanks..that's a great list..I'm surprised by the handle bars not being able to be adjusted with an after market risers of some such

#16 ·
EastTexasRider said:

4. $300-Mick-O-Pegs

I'm 6'8", 240, just got a used '06 LT early Sept, (coming from an '06 Vmax) put just over 6000km on it so far, very comfortable, It also came with cruising pegs, which is great, to change up leg position. just starting to look for items to adjust for height, Just ordered a laminar lip to start... Tks for the list, great help.

#17 ·
6'-10" 275 lbs.
Do a search on tall riders on this site....much has been said on the subject.
Most of us do the usual mods and get great comfort.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.