BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Throttle cable snapped

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  sully2028 
#1 ·
Throttle cable snapped on the road today. It was stiff and against the advice of people on this site I just greased it up. Lukily it snapped right by the throttle so I was able to attach a set of vice grips to it and use it as my throttle until I hit 30mph, then use the cruise.

Now the fun part - replacing the throttle cable :)

#3 ·
The throttle cables were just one of the many casualties of my engine fire last May, so I have replaced mine also. I want to say it wasn't a big deal, but then, I had the entire bike ('03 LT) disassembled.

The upgrade throttle cables have no instructions included, but I have seen many posts and pictures on this forum describing the procedure - look around, or just ask. I've attached a service bulletin also.

There is one more suggestion that I haven't seen anyone else mention: When you take your grip off of the handlebar, polish up the handlebar surface. My handlebar was slightly rough, with a ridge of paint. I used a strip of 600gr wet/dry sandpaper, saturated with light oil, and polished the handlebar using a shoeshine-type motion with the sandpaper.

This seems to really slick up the throttle action. And like everyone says, use the teflon-based dry lube.

Let us know how it works...

Dave

Attachments

#4 ·
Thanks a lot for those documents, made the job easier.

I didn't take off the grip because I didn't have to remove it for the new cable, and it didn't feel like it needed lubrication.

Installing the cable was pretty easy except when it came time to put the cable on the throttle switch, its very tight in there but my wife was able to stick it in, since her hands are much smaller.

I lubed up the cable by the grip, and its still a little stiff. This design is horrible. I think it will break in during the next few days.

The cable I bought was used, and I noticed 1 or 2 broken strands on the cable by the grip connector, and its making me a little nervous. Do u think that would be a problem down the road? I don't want the cable to snap again!

#5 ·
Caveno said:
The cable I bought was used, and I noticed 1 or 2 broken strands on the cable by the grip connector, and its making me a little nervous. Do u think that would be a problem down the road? I don't want the cable to snap again!
Installing a used cable with broken strands is asking for trouble. Why not just buy the new "improved" cable and be done with it?

#6 ·
mtrevelino said:
Installing a used cable with broken strands is asking for trouble. Why not just buy the new "improved" cable and be done with it?
I agree, Mike. When I took ole Toad in for the throttle cable upgrade, in response to the TSB that covered the work back in '03, the mechanic showed me the grip end of the original cable and there were only 2 strands left intact!! Said he - "glad you weren't planning a long trip." His eyes got a leetle big :eek: when I said I have CCR Gatlinburg on the calendar!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.