Top Case Support Strap Attachment? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 8:22 pm Thread Starter

Top Case Support Strap Attachment?

First thread, fairly long time reader/member. 2002 K1200LTC 32K (5K are mine since June)

Had a brain fade the other evening trying to rush packing my lunch bag and get out of the parking lot at work. I "flipped" the top of the top case open rather than lifting it open as I normally do and the strap that supports the lid/top of the case popped off and the lid/top flipped on over toward the passengers seat. I looked at the loop on the end of the strap and at the location it was attached, but could not see or find what had held the strap's loop in place. I have reviewed Jim Beards "K1200LT TRUNK REMOVAL" photos and his first instruction is to remove the knurled screw at the attachment point of the strap to the lower case and let the end of the spring loaded fabric loop feed back to the top case. Can't tell by his pictures what's there. Looking at RealOEM.com parts diagrams the knurled screw is concidered a "bolt" and the fabric strap is item #17 a Bowden Cable. Needless to say, the diagrams are not detailed enough to show what or how the knurled bolt kept the bowden cable in place.

That is the reason for this thread! Will someone take a close-up picture of their trunk and post it or email it to me? PLEASE! Or if you can describe to me what I need to know, that will work too! Knowing what kept the loop on the shank that the knurled bolt screws into will help me to fabricate something to hold the strap until I can get a replacement part/thingy, if there is such an animal!
[email protected]

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 8:37 pm

Re: Top Case Support Strap Attachment?

I think it is just a loop sewn in, but I will run out and check.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 8:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennM86
I think it is just a loop sewn in, but I will run out and check.

OK, not sewn, but my 2002 has a rivet that forms a loop in the flat retaining strap.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 9:07 pm

Just took my top case off the other day so I'm VERY familiar with this. The end of the strap has to have a loop in it. If it doesn't, create one about a half inch dia. Use a rivet or sew it....anything will do. If you don't have the knurled knob, that's why it came out. If the loop in the strap broke and the knurled knob is still there, you're in good shape. Unscrew the knob. The sleeve that the knob goes through has enough space at the end of it to get the loop slid over it. After the loop is on the sleeve, screw the knob back in. That keeps the looped strap from coming out.

I'm new to this forum so I don't know how to attach a picture yet.
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 9:26 pm

On the top left edge of the trunk, bottom half, there should be a bolt with a thumb head to the inside and a smooth shank extending into a cavity molded into the trunk side. The strap loop hooks over this.
I'm trying to attach a photo of mine. Here goes...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW strap bolt.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	19956  

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

post #6 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 10:26 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The screw that goes into that receptical should extend out about 1/4 inch past the metal fitting. That is what retains the strap loop.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 10:35 pm Thread Starter

azredline,
Thanks for the attachment. What I have is exactly what you have pictured, without the strap being shown. The loop is still on the strap, but it doesn't seem to want to stay on or over the silver thingy that is threaded for the knurled screw. That said, I was thinking something like a flange was at the end of the silver piece to keep the strap in place.

Or,

RocketRon,
Does the knurled screw protrude out the end of the silver piece? If the screw is nylon or some simular material, the weight of the top snatching on it may have sheared off the end of the screw. I haven't inspected the tip of the knurled screw close enough to know.

Thanks, but still need a little more info....
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2008, 10:38 pm Thread Starter

jzeiler,

You answered my next question(s) before I could make the post! That is what I was thinking! Got to have another screw!

Thanks guys!

As I've read many times here in, you all are a great wealth of information!

THANK YOU ALL!
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 11:35 am

You can get a replacement screw at Ace Hardware. I cannot recall the exact dimensions, but it was carried stock at the Ace by me and they had it in a thumb screw. Measured the bolt at home and is ~3/16" thick, and ~3/4" long (threaded portion). Don't know the pitch.

I have an extra one I can mail you if you can't find it local. I ground down the thumb portion, but it will work.

Let me know,

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
wants YOU!
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 4:41 pm

A second look at mine finds the thumb screw broken off on the strap end! My strap had been holding fine just on the metal piece, but I see now I need a new one.

I'm going to the hardware store tonight to see if I can find something that will work. I'll post what I find.

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

post #11 of 11 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 6:34 pm

Ok, I found one that works at the local hardware store.

I used a metric socket head cap screw style
5M x 25mm x .8 pitch (thats a course thread metric)

Could get away with 20mm long as well, but this way is easier to grab and it goes all the way across the cavity and holds the strap in nicely.
Cheers!

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in